Saturday 3 January 2015

The one where I wax on about winter . . .



 photo winter_zps67e208e1.jpg

Aside from the bit of snow we had on Boxing Day, we have had no other snow this Winter. We can see the Clywdian Hills from where we live on a really clear day and they are covered with snow . . .  but we have only had a few spectacularly frosted days so far.  That suits me fine.  We just don't deal well with snow over here in the UK.  As often as we are warned ahead of time, it always seems to catch us by surprise.  We are never ready it seems.   The roads are never properly gritted . . .  and everything comes to a halt.

Winter here means you make sure you have a well stocked home . . .  for if it does snow, you never know when you are going to be able to get out again.

 photo YewTreeFarm_zps16ecb704.jpg
(Beatrix Potter's Yew Tree Farm)

I always keep about 4 litres of shelf stable milk in the house (just in case), bottled water, bread in the freezer, etc.  We have gas heating, so we are okay there . . .  even if we lost the power, we always have heat.  And I know how to boil water with a flower pot and candles.  ☺

When the skies turn leaden grey and flakes begin to fall . . . when the wind takes on it's lonely cry . . .  we hunker down with extra blankets and hot soup . . .  safe and warm within the walls of our comfy home.   The knitting needles and books come out along with the candles.  Snow can pile up against our windows and sift in neath the back door sill, creating small powdered pearl heaps on the floor in front of it, but we are snug as two bugs in a rug toasting our toes by the fire as needles click and pages flip . . .  and Mitzie sighs by our side.

It's a cosy companionship composed of love and comfortable silences.

 photo snow_zps72da075d.jpg

On days like that  . . .  Winter becomes our favourite thing.  Days when you have no pressing need to be anywhere but where you are.  When those first innocent flakes begin to fall we put out extra suet balls for the birds . . . and mealy worms, and revel in the chatter that spreads through the hedges which border our back yard . . .  the cry goes out and before we know it wings flutter in and out of the feeders . . .  flitting from feeder to hedge and back again.    Our resident robin sits on the gate post . . .  standing sentry with his feathered body fluffed out against the wind and the cold . . .

I want to knit them all tiny mufflers and mittens . . .  and minute stocking caps to keep them warm.  I marvel at the nature of things and how it takes care of these tiny creatures with just a bit of help from us . . .

And people say there is no God . . .

 photo GOD_zpse6519762.jpg

Ariana is going to Spain today for a couple of weeks.  Her Christmas starts now.  She worked all through the holidays.   She is looking forward to seeing her family and fiance and I am sure they are really looking forward to seeing her.   We will miss her, but we hope that she has a lovely time.  I am sure she will.

I am going to take down the tree and all of the Christmas decorations.  I am always a little bit sad when I have to do that, but I know that they cannot stay up.   The living room always seems a tiny bit empty with them gone.

I wrap each glass bauble and figure tenderly in tissue paper so that they are safely preserved  for next year.  Each angel gets put back in it's box for safe keeping . . .  the tree is folded up.   All of the Christmas salt and pepper shakers get emptied and washed and tissued as well and  stored away in the Christmas box until December rolls around again. 

It doesn't matter how careful we are though . . .  once the next December does roll around  . . .  we search high and low for everything . . .  having again forgotten exactly where we put everything.

I am not quite sure what that says about us.

A thought to carry with you through today . . .


❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
Nature looks dead in winter 
because her life is gathered into her heart. 
She withers the plant down to the root 
that she may grow it up again fairer and stronger. 
She calls her family together 
within her inmost home to prepare them 
for being scattered abroad upon the face of the earth. 
~Hugh Macmillan
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥  


 photo SAM_8707_zpsb97d7d56.jpg

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Triple Chocolate Cookie Tart.   This is so quick and simple and gorgeously delicious.  Almost dangerous to have about the house.

I hope you have a wonderful Saturday.   Stay safe and stay warm!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


13 comments:

  1. I know winter has a horrible side but here it is short and rarely cold and the picture you pain is appealing.

    Lots of love to you all today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely if you don't have to go anywhere. If you have to travel it is a nightmare I know. Lots of love to you as well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain should read PAINT. I am about to write an assignment. This does not bode well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think positive Suzan! All will be well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a really good time yesterday. Wish you many happy returns of days like this.
    It's freezing cold here today, -2 C. Well, it's winter. Let's not complain, right?
    Have a happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr.. Helen, I did not think it ever got that cold in Greece! I thought it was always hot. That just shows you how ignorant I am about things like this! Clearly I need to do my homework! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far we've had very little snow but it will come. I always have plenty on hand so that if the weather is bad, I don't have to go out. The worst thing for me about the snow is that I have to shovel it. That is one job I don't like, but it does give me some needed exercise. Hope you have a super Saturday !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonight there is a weather warning..heavy wet snow..possibility of power outages and freezing rain tomorrow:(

    I like winter..but under more clement conditions..I am not a power outage kind of girl.but Jacques is quite the Davey Crockett Daniel Boone type..:)
    Tree..after Epiphany:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had the snow on Boxing Day, and that was scary to be out and about in Pam. Mostly we just get rain and frost! Mom always hated it when we had a green Christmas. She subscribed to the OWT that it meant there would be a death in the family before Spring! Xxoo

    I hate freezing rain Monique! You get it a lot in Quebec! I can remember a number of years back when freezing rain crumbled all the power towers like paper! I hope all will be okay this time! I'll keep you in my happy thoughts! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Marie, we went to Betwsy Coed the other day via the Denbigh Moors and it was absolutely beautiful! It was really sunny, blue skies and thick snow! There were quite a lot of people sledging. The moors can be quite an intimidating place but covered in snow they were magical. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, I love Betwsy Co-ed! It's such a beautiful spot! I can well imagine it was just gorgeous in the snow. The moors are rather bleak, but once again in the snow I can imagine they too are gorgeous! Love and hugs, xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that recipe looks so delicious. I do want to try this one; at least for the grandchildren.
    I do like to cuddle up by the fire with a good book and hot chocolate especially if there is snow outside. We did get a beautiful snowstorm on Christmas day; it was lovely.
    Blessings to you dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blessings to you too LeAnn! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!