Thursday 22 January 2015

Five Things About Me ...


 photo Theappleofhiseye_zps6291ec77.jpg

This is one of my favourite pictures from my childhood.  I believe it was taken in Germany.  My father had been reading to me and we had both fallen asleep.   I love that my face is pressed up against his.  It shows how very much I love him.  We look completely natural together.  I love my father very much.   This photo is a very tender photo.

Yep, it's all about me again.   Five things about me to be exact.

 photo 5775afdc35f21c0f09addfc86c470e80_zpsfarx9uyx.jpg

As a child I was absolutely certain that there was a monster which lived beneath my bed.  I know I am not alone in this.  My monster had very eclectic tastes however.  It ate children, but it had an abhorance to the heads of children.  It could not abide them, so as long as only our heads were showing above the covers . . .  we would be completely safe.  I painstakingly made sure each night that only my sister's head was showing above the blanket line, as well as the heads of our stuffed toys.  I was protecting everyone.  It worked!  We are still all here!

I was right.  My monster did not like the taste of children's heads.

 photo 07e5e471309f0e252694fd33e870864e_zpshbsepodr.jpg

I suffered greatly with ear infections when I was a child.   I can remember them being excruciatingly painful  I also used to get a lot of them as an adult.   I don't remember very often being given anti-biotics for any of them.   Even as an adult.  I do remember the pain of them.   I have even had a perforated ear drum with one of them.   As a result I have a lot of scar tissue in my ears, especially the left one.  I also have weaker hearing in the left one.  My ears constantly crack when I swallow.  I found this link on how to cure an ear ache at home.  I am going to try it the next time I get one.

 photo 90ee9335ade8e5cb9f2ac2f20666dc50_zpsogzaaiya.jpg

I had just about every childhood illness when I was a child.  Chicken pox, mumps, even the measles.  I remember my eyes being very sore with them and having to sleep in a darkened room with the blinds down.   I caught the mumps twice.  I had them when I was really small and then I had them again when I was a teenager, albeit only a mild case.  My children only ever had the chicken pox.

 photo b365eac9bd7da32719b5c0214e187596_zpsb1avl4i8.jpg

Next to Christmas, I think Valentines was my favourite schoolroom celebration when I was growing up.  I just adore getting Valentines, but I adore giving them even more.  My mother would buy me a book of Valentines to cut out and give every year.  I can remember spending hours cutting them out and the envelopes . . . the stamps, etc.  Gluing the envelopes together and putting the stamps on them, etc.  It was so much fun picking which valentine to give to which person.  I wonder do they still make those books of valentines for children to cut out?  I had many hours of fun with them.  I think this year I will look for one and make some valentines for myself.

 photo GAR010_2_zpsdvpdyjxm.jpg

I love pickles and I love the sweet mixed pickles most of all.   Especially the pickled cauliflower in the jar.   You can't get them over here.  Boo hoo!  Mom always has a jar of them for me when I go back home to visit.   I love all pickles, but these are my absolute favourite of all time.  And of those, I like Bicks the most.  I think there was an advertisement which went, "You can tell a bick's pickle by the crunch."  I could be wrong though.   Bread and Butter Pickles are my next best favourite, and Pickled Beets.  I totally adore them.  You CAN get those over here, thank goodness!  You can get polish pickles which are like the dill pickles from back home.   You can get cornichons, which I like.  They are very small and sour over here.  Back home we got pickled gerkins at Christmas time . . .  sweet pickled gerkins.   Yum.  Here the gerkins are always very sour.   I guess I am just nuts about pickles full stop!!

And there you have it five more things about me!  I am sure we are probably more alike than we are different.  What say you?

 photo copyright courage_zps6yjotypc.jpg

I did a little water colour yesterday.   First watercolour I have done in a while.   I have missed doing water colours.   I sold it right away, which was a good sign!

I am off to the Temple today.   We are going with some friends.   I love to go to the Temple.  It's so serene there and I just love being there.    Hoping we have a very uneventful trip there and back again.

A thought to carry with you through today . . .


❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥ 
Five simple Rules to be happy:
1. Free your heart from hatred. 
2. Free your mind from worries. 
3. Live simply. 
4. Give more. 
5. Expect less.
~unknown
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥   


 photo DSCN0123_zpsaf96ac26.jpg

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Oven Baked Thai Chicken and Rice.

I hope you have a beautiful day.  Don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


12 comments:

  1. Morning Marie, I do hope that you have a lovely drive to and from the temple today and that the weather is nice and you find some sunshine. It is very dreich down here at the moment... Mary and I are of to the theatre this afternoon a musical this time Calamity Jane..gets a good report...Another thing you and I do not agree on ...I do not like pickles at all..definately not cauliflower yuck..and I really don't like vinigar very much other than a little on fish and chips !! Love that photo of you and your Father....I am pleased that you have done another water colour you do them so beautifully. It is so sad that you have not been able to get an outlet for them as they are so lovely...but expensive to do now ...in fact ALL craft things seem to cost so much and people never want to pay even the cost of the materiels...I know when Pam makes her lovely cards we sell at church for only 50p..and still they don;t sell in great numbers when you think that people will spend £2 + in a card shop it is a mystery to me...
    Anyway have a great day xxx Who looks after Mitzie when you are away for a whole day ? or is she good at staying by herelf ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like sybil I do not like vinegar and do not like pickles either. Therefore you may eat every pickle that comes my way.

    Enjoy your day at the Temple.

    Today was a day to visit dad. Happily he was in a bright mood and enjoyed busting out. We took him to MacDonalds for an ice-cream and he promptly demanded a cheese burger. Of course he asked nicely and he was given one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie
    Next time you're looking for pickles, have a look in the Kosher section, there should be Mrs Elswood who does sweet/sour gherkins and also sweet pickled gherkins (my favourites!) only gherkins though unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like pickles too. But I like both the sweet and the sour. I like to chop up the sweet gherkins in my potato salad, which reminds me I forgot to put them in when I made some last week. I knew something was missing. Just couldn't think what. Glad to hear your art work sold so quickly. I've never tried water colors, but yours looks so very nice. Hope you have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so cute!

    I always ate the cauliflower out of the mixed pickle jar:)
    Love that shot of you and your dad.Wish wish wish I had pics like that:(
    Oh he loved you to bits you canjust tell and vice versa..You were a cutie pie!
    I LOVED Valentines.. The little Valentines the envelopes..LOVED.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your water color. Glad it sold so quickly but it doesn't surprise me. You are so talented!

    I always had ear infections as a kid too but I didn't know that's what it was. When I was in my 20's, a doctor was checking my ears and said, "You had a lot of ear infections, haven't you? You have lots of scarring in your ears." Wow! That was news to me. I always remember feeling like pool water was in my ears even in the winter. As a result of the infections, my hearing isn't that good.

    So glad you went to the temple today. Is there any place more peaceful? And since you're reading this, you survived the car ride there and back again. ;-) Love ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! We had a lovely day at the Temple and yes, arrived home safe and sound! Mitzie was fine because Ariana was here, so that was good. We are tired and I am just going to sit back and relax now, but couldn't do so without acknowledging and thanking you all for your lovely comments! I have the best friends ever. I am such a lucky girl!
    OH and I am a sweet pickle cauliflower hog as well! I could never understand why they didn't make jars of only sweet pickled cauliflowers! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie i just wanted to stop by and say I love you very much. You inspire me and every morning I see the notifications of your Facebook entries on my phone before I am even out of bed. My first thoughts each day are of you! And I think of us maybe getting to meet in the end of May.

    I had the same thing with ear infections. I did not have a lot but the one really bad one I had ruptured my ear drum too. I also have hearing loss in that ear.

    I have got to get organizing our trip. I just cannot catch a breath with my calling. Full time job. I love it but it costs me. It costs me my free time which I truly miss. But I am so thrilled with how things are going. I miss writing on my blog and don't get to it very often it seems. But when I read posts like this I realize I need to come back to reading and writing because that fills my cup too.

    Thank you for all your efforts. You are a pro at so many things. Hello to Mr. T and Miss M

    Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Marie ... have you eaten dill pickle soup? I had some today at a local tea room, and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnir, I can't believe that we may finally get to meet in person after all these years. I want to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming. I miss your writings, but I do know how much time it takes. That's why I get up at 5:00 every morning, so I can fit it into my bulging day! Love you! And have my fingers crossed you make it here. xoxo

    I have heard of Dill Pickle Soup Sharon, but never tasted it. Now I feel I must! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Sweet Mixed Pickles....definitely Bicks. My favourite sandwich growing up was a cheese and pickle sandwich, using those pickles. Still love them to this day but I'm finding it harder to find that brand in the grocery stores. I live in BC, so I can't figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is wierd, you would think that you could easily find them in BC! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!