Saturday 14 June 2014

Musings on a Saturday . . .



 photo lavender_zpsbda133cc.jpg

“Bees do have a smell, you know, and if they don't they should, for their feet are dusted with spices from a million flowers.”
 ~Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine  

We are only about one week officially away from what the calendar says is summer, but . . . summer seems to have arrived, despite what the calendar says!  Summer, glorious summer.   For two days in a row now Todd has clocked up temperatures in the late 20's in our back garden and he's been right in his element sitting with his straw hat on his head, beneath the sunshade on the back patio.  Mitzie has been loving it too, and the roses . . .  they are in their glory at the moment, along with the lavender which is just buzzing with life.  This year I will pick some springs to place between the pages of books so that I can surprise myself in the coming months . . . when the days are short, the nights are long . . .  and Jack Frost is nipping at my  nose.


 photo roses_zpsa92aff07.jpg

  The grass grows high now in the meadows which surround our estate . . .  and each lawn is covered in deep green velvet. It's the time of the lawnmower and the calmness of the afternoon is punctuated with the sounds of mowers mowing, the air filled with the smell of fresh cut grass, dotted with a spot of newly mown dandelion  with a dash of wild onion and creeping thyme thrown in for good measure . . . a feast for the senses.

 photo delphinium_zps26d3287b.jpg

The wild flowers we planted are also going crazy at the moment . . .  and our strawberry bed is filled to overflowing with promise.  Any day now, if these temperatures and the sunshine keep up . . .  we shall be feasting on their dark red and juicy pleasures.  There is no more beautiful sight than June strawberries heaped in a big blue bowl, freshly picked with the warmth of the sun, straw and red stained fingers still clinging to them.  No supermarket berry can compare . . .

 photo MarynJune2014_zps026b0110.jpg

"What is one to say about June, the time of perfect young summer, 
the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, 
and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade." 
~Gertrude Jekyll  

Several of my grandchildren have been enjoying days at the beach . . .  summer has arrived in Nova Scotia as well.  I just adore this photo of Maryn.  This one is worthy of a frame I believe, and I will be picking up one the next time we take Mitzie to the groomers.  Its only a few weeks away now.

 photo CameronBeachJune2014_zps77fab3e1.jpg

Cameron has been enjoying the sunshine as well. It's hard to believe that he will soon be one years old.   The past year has just flown by.  Is there any lovelier sight than that of a small boy playing in the sand?  I think not  . . .  well, unless it's two grandchildren enjoying the sand . . .  then it is  twice the pleasure . . .

 photo beachbuddies_zps3e04d608.jpg

I can remember going to the beach only a couple of times when I was growing up.   My parents were not real outdoor lovers.   They didn't really do beaches.  I can remember only two occasions during the whole of my childhood when they took us to the beach.  I'm not sure which was my favourite part . . .  the paddling in the waters of Lake Winnipeg . . . or the cones of Rainbow Ice Cream we were treated to at the end of the day. One shudders now at the amount of food colouring which must have been in them, but they were delicious.   The trick was to eat them before they started to melt down over your hands . . .  there was a LOT of furious licking involved.

Ahhh . . .  warm lake water, sand, sunburn, rainbow ice cream, sticky hands and a blue plaid skort (skirt and shorts combined) . . .  that's the stuff that happy summer memories are made from . . .  


 photo MrWhippy_zpsf24e5a35.jpg

Days at the beach seaside over here are even more special however . . .  because they come with fish and chips, and a Mr Whippy with a flake.  The only thing that could make them any better would be to be able to share them with a couple of munch-kins . . .

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
   ⋯ ◯ ⋯ *´¯`.¸¸.☆*´¯`.¸¸.☆*´¯`.¸¸.☆*´¯`.¸¸.☆*´¯`.¸¸.☆
   ⋰ ⋮ ⋱
"And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves 
growing on the trees, 
just as things grow in fast movies, 
I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again 
with the summer." 
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

   ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿✿¸.•*¨`*

   ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬╬♥═╬
   ░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░   

 photo SAM_5410_zpsd7e0b980.jpg  

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . .  a tasty treat for Dad, a delicious Dulce De Leche Cake!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


Have a fabulous Saturday!  Stay happy and stay safe!


 

5 comments:

  1. I had plenty of beach days as my great aunt had a beach home. It was a four and half hours away and we went often. Mainly I remember the long drives and the blocked highways and waiting for hours. I am afraid even as a child I more of a reader. I love to sit on the patio, week shaded, and enjoy the view as I read or sew or knit etc. Despite avoiding the sun all my life I have had melanoma. A few more months until I reach the five year free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie..Love the beachy pics and blooms..Pat Todd on the back..Lovely lovely blooms..it surely is a passion for him..
    A book was recently recommended and I bought it..I know you love books..this is a children's book..perhaps you have heard of it..
    Miss Rumphius..lovely illustrations..FYI:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always went to the "seaside" every summer by train..there was a train that went from our village to Portobello (a suburb of Edinburgh) I never did like trains as they had a funny smell..or so I thought ! It was actually the steam and black smutts that came in the open windows if one was not quick enought o pull up the window by the leather strap ! funny how memories come rushing back at a single thought,,,, Anyway your wee bairns are really getting quite big now and so gorgeous Marie..Been a glorious day down here we are enjoying all teh lovely warmth and sunshine..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet post and pictures Marie! I also press flower in between the pages of my books. I just did so to our trips to Forks Washington where the Twilight book/movie series took place. They are fun to find later on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am more of a shade person myself Suzan! The sun hurts my eyes. Hope and pray you make the five year mark! xxoo

    I have not heard of that book Monique, but I will look it up for sure! I DO love children's books!

    Loved your story about the trains Sybil! The kiddles are getting very big now. Especially Maryn. They grow up far too quickly!

    How exciting Valerie! One day I hope to visit Washington. I have been watching Cottage Cove and love it. I would love to see that area! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!