Saturday 28 June 2014

Morning Glories and other things . . .
























I have always loved "Morning Glories." There are over 1,000 kinds of "Morning Glories." I was really surprised to discover that.   I thought there was just one . . .

Most morning glory flowers unravel into full bloom in the early morning. The flowers usually start to fade a few hours before the "petals" start showing visible curling. They prefer full solar exposure throughout the day. Some morning glories, such as Ipomoea muricata, are night-blooming flowers, or "Moon Flowers," as they are also known.

They are not all blue in colour, and according to the Victorian language of flowers . . .  they mean "love in Vain."























 No matter the name or colour, they mesmerize me with their ability to open and close according to the time of day . . .  like clockwork . . .  or magic.  

I love the Morning Glory legend about how that works, but then again, I am a fairy tale kind of girl as you know.






















Once upon a time there was a Princess who used to enjoy sitting in her garden amongst the flowers.  Because she was a very delicate Princess, she had to return to the palace each day before the sun became too hot, and so there were several kinds of flowers she never got to enjoy, because they didn't open up until the sun shone upon them.

This made her very sad and one day as she was returning to the palace, her tears fell to the ground . . .  each one turning into a tiny seed as they hit the ground.  A few weeks later, as the Princess walked in her garden, early in the morning, she was surprised to see a beautiful new flower growing all around her . . .  clambering over walls and trellis's . .  . twining around the trees and cascading over arches.

This gave her much joy and ever since that day the Morning Glory is the name been given to that flower which sprang from the tears of a Princess's pretty blue eyes.























I just adore these legends and myths.   Don't you?   I always loved the fairy tales and poems for children when I was small, like "Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary," and   "Old Mother Hubbard."  I've been working on a series of pictures based on them and this is my latest one . . .

 photo copyrightLittleMissMuffet_zps90412726.jpg

I got this little lady done yesterday afternoon while I was waiting to go to the hospital for my x-ray.   I am really pleased with how she turned out.  What do you think?  I really and truly want to know.

Well, the x-ray is done now and I have to wait for a week to ten days to get back to my Doctor's to see what's up and what they can do for it.  It's been five weeks this Sunday since I noticed a change in it and it's been getting gradually worse with each week that passes.    I cannot bend it at all now, and it locks if I try.   It's very painful.  I had a difficult time yesterday working on this piece of art as I had some cutting to do, which involved holding a piece of paper between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand as I cut with my right hand.  I hope that they can fix this as I am not wanting it to be like this the rest of my life!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today . . .

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
The world is full of vibrant color. 
 Don’t let it lose an ounce of its luster. 
Assume this day is going to be good, and it will. 
God made it so.
~Max Lucado 
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥



We're feasting on Strawberries over in The English Kitchen today, with some of my all-time favourite berry recipes!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════    

Have a Wonderful Saturday!  It's quite dull here and most likely will rain.  ☺One must take the bad with the good.



13 comments:

  1. I've tried to grow morning glories with out any success. They are beautiful. Hopefully soon you'll know just what your thumbs problem is . That would be a terrible bother. I woke very early this morning and am just beginning to see some light in the sky. Soon the sun will be up and it's to be a very hot day here. Hope you have a super Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Glories are hit and miss Pam, although in Australia they grow so well that they are considered a weed! We have a park near us filled with moon flowers! It's raining here today, but I live in hope! You have a super Saturday too! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I favor MGs too Marie..Yours are stunning!
    Hit or miss here also..
    I have some weed ones:(
    I bet they fix your thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your day Marie. I love Miss Muffet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if you have carpal tunnel syndrome? Easily fixed, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Monique! I love these little nursery rhyme girls! I could never get Morning Glories to grow when I live in New Brunswick.

    You too Suzan! Thank you!

    I don't think it is carpal tunnel Bunny, it's just in my thumb. I can't even bend it, and it locks if I try, Very painful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lord! A week to ten days to hear the X-ray results!! My doctor receives the results almost immediately and calls me within a few hours. Once I was not even home yet. I am very afraid to loose our level of medical care here in the US. It may be expensive but it must be among the best in the world! I realize that not everyone here has the same access and that that must be worked on, but I am afraid where we may go in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Marie ... I'd never heard the morning glory legend; thanks for sharing. I planted a few seeds in different locations recently, but only one of those sites produced seedlings; curious to see what results, as I'd love to have a prolific display! Miss Muffet is adorable; she appears to have been placed atop a pleasing combination of scrapbooking papers. A framed selection of fairy tale images would be perfect in a nursery or child's room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, the health care system is even worse where I come from. My sister has been there for over a year now and still does not have a family Doctor. My father has had to travel over an hour away to get one, and he has a heart condition. I think it's absolutely disgraceful!

    You are right Sharon. I am using scrap book papers for the background. Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are gorgeous Morning Glories. Beautiful color! Your artwork of Little Miss Muffet is so sweet. She has no idea of what is about to drop down and spook her (You captured that unknowing look). Hee...the spider's eyes that see her made me smile too. I love to see people's art work and how they interpret things. Very nice work Marie!!! I feel so bad about your thumb! I hope the doctor knows right what to do and it will heal fairly quick. Hang in there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Valerie! I am really enjoying doing the Nursery Rhyme girls! I am planing on e-mailing you later today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos, Marie. Blue Morning Glories are some of my favorite flowers.

    Love to you. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!