Sunday 1 June 2014

Pinch Punch . . . .










 I think of June as the singing month.  This is the month where rambling roses begin to climb every where . . .  over pergolas and old grey stone walls . . . lattices and arbours . . . wooden sheds and cottage walls.  There is nothing so charming as a rose covered cottage, don't you think?   It seems that in June the whole countryside is covered in a lush green blanket laced with rose reds, shell pinks and ivory whites as the gardens truly come alive and come into their own.

And yet, there is still so much to look forward to.  On a sunny day the sky sings too, with tranquil blues and ethereal white clouds which drift in a slow moving symphony across the horizon.  One can almost hear the horns of fairy kingdoms calling in  their subjects . . .  so they will be ready to bow down to the Queen of Summer who is about to arrive in all her majesty.  I think of such things as I wander in the garden . . .  drinking in the delicate bell like flower petals of the foxglove . . .  the snapping red and golden mouths of the snap dragons which have decided this year they are going to bloom against the hedge, such a delight to discover!

The wild roses which lay beneath our bird feeders are about to shout out in a riot of colour and song which will keep us entertained throughout the coming months, their music is just beginning, but at the tip of every branch is the promise of a beautiful melody.

"June comes again to place on earth's warm breast
her sweetest gift, the fairest and the best.
Roses their velvet hearted blooms unfold . . . 
crimson and apricot . . . 
ivory and gold.
In stately grounds and in cottage beds.
In park and plot,
they lift their lovely heads.
Yet when they come
my heart remembers Time.
Is not the year already
near it's prime?
~Patience Strong





There came a knock upon the door yesterday afternoon and I opened it to find a gypsy on my doorstep.   An older woman with a little basket filled with charms.  She asked did I not want to buy a charm.  Of course I didn't and I told her so.   She said . . .  not even for good luck?  No, not even for good luck.  I have all the luck I need and I didn't want to encourage such things.   I am a bit afraid of gypsies.  I think it goes back to a childhood where we were fed stories about gypsies stealing children away . . .  I do admit that I was a tad bit afraid turning her away . . . I hope she didn't leave a curse upon our gate.


 photo copyrightGrandma_zps8956ccaf.jpg


One of my dearest friends became a Grandmother this week for the first time.  Kathy was my next door neighbor when I lived in London, Ontario some 30 odd years ago.  We used to do everything together and she was truly one of those people I could tell my secrets too.  Her youngest son Robert was born in London and this week, he and his wife had a baby boy.  I wanted to commemorate this wonderful new stage in life for my friend in a special way and so yesterday afternoon, I sat down (in between wanderings in the garden and gypsies at the door) and did this little painting for her.   I hope that she likes it.  I know that there are not many Grandmother's these days who look like this.  We are much more glamorous I think!  In any case I hope that she likes this.   This is a feisty Grandmother, complete with catapult and frog in her apron pocket!


 photo SAM_7121_zps615b4ad9.jpg

We had the rather distressing discovery yesterday that our oldest fish had been "fished" out of our pond by one of the neighborhood cats, alas.   Spotty (yes, I name my fish) was about four years old and a tri-colour goldfish, being orange, white and black.   She had given us babies several years in a row and was quite a size now, being about six inches long.  Todd discovered her over by the hedge and she had obviously been much played with.  It's sad when something like this happens.  I know that cats are only acting upon instinct.  It is in their nature to hunt and play with their prey . . .  but I was upset to see yet another one of our dear creatures lost.   I am sure were it a large bird they would have eaten it.  In any case, Todd has affixed a net around the perimeter of the pond so as to prevent furry paws from lurking there and reaching in to scoop out yet another one.

The sun is shining gloriously here today and so without further adieu I shall leave you with a thought to carry with you through this beautiful day, and I do so hope that it is beautiful for you . . .

*╰╮. ≀ .╭╯
 . ⌣⌢ (ˆ◡ˆ) ⌢⌣
 . ☾ ╭╯˙≀˙╰╮~~~

There are souls in this world 
which have the gift of finding joy everywhere 
and leaving it behind them when they go. 
~Frederick Faber

(¯`•.•´¯) (¯`•.•´¯)☆__
☆ *`•.¸(¯`•.•´¯)¸.•´ Have a blissful Sunday . . .
    ¤ ؛° ¤`•.¸.•´ ¤ ☆__☆***☆__☆..

 photo SAM_5068_zpsf811f885.jpg 

Baking in The English Kitchen today . . .  Big Soft Chewy Mars Bar and Chocolate Chip Cookies!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════     


Happy Sunday and first of June!  Pinch Punch!


6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Sunday Marie. Mine is a dreary as the sky is here. It may be winter but the weather is still summery.

    However for a change I am cooking a cake from scratch. It was a sad state of affairs as I had to top up the sugar and flour before I could. Diabetics should not have cake very often but Lemon Drizzle Cake has called and hopefully it will be a great cake. It is the first time I have used my Kitchenaid to make a cake from scratch. I am sure it enjoyed mixing butter and sugar far more than bread dough.

    God bless your day. Thank you to your friends who are praying for us. Dad is further retreating from the world and the household is very much on edge. It is now June and we have until the end of this month to find a place for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzan, I am sure all will enjoy the Lemon Drizzle. It's a real favourite of most people's! Our prayers will continue for your family and your dear Father. We do so hope all will be resolved in a satisfactory manner! A very distressing time. Praying you will all find comfort. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a glorious day here too to start off the month of June. Hope you have a restful and relaxing Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie I had to smile at your hello June..
    Geesh could we have thought more alike..
    Cute grandma..:)

    Mars bars..I have to make those too..My daughter LOVES them..great idea!
    We gave up on fish in our pond:( Always eaten..:(
    Made your Apple Crumble bars..again..I mean I think Jacques should write to you personally:)
    Loves them..I snuck a corner..love.
    I didn't drizzle..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you have a wonderful relaxing Sunday as well Pam!

    I know Monique! We seem to be very much in sync with each other! I am so glad that Jacques is enjoying the Apple Crumble Bars! Todd just loves them as well. I think they are "Man" bars! I did not drizzle either. Nice just plain! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an adorable painting. Actually my lil' grandmother looked a lot like that! ;) She was a grandma to love. Loved your post. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!