Sunday 13 November 2016

Sunday this and that . . .

  

I lost a friend yesterday.   Well, a facebook friend.  Actually I hadn't even known she was my friend.  I have friends on my facebook that I don't even know how they got there.  I keep thinking I need to have a cull and to delete everyone I don't actually know and then I think that I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and so I just leave it.    But I may rethink that.

Anyways, I had posted something which resonated with me.  It was NOT about the recent election in America at all.  It was not intended to be about the recent election in America either.  But this person came onto my page and immediately, obnoxiously turned it into such.  I don't know if my feelings are a bit raw at the moment or what, but I responded in kind and then I deleted my post because I don't want that type of thing on my wall, but I didn't delete it before she had then copied my post and put it onto her wall with more obnoxiousness.   So I commented on hers and she took offense, and before I know it her husband is messaging me, swearing and telling me that I am not even an American but a Canadian living in the UK so am not entitled to an opinion.

I should have just ignored her initial response, but I didn't.  Me bad.   In any case.  I lost a friend, but I strongly suspect it wasn't a real friend anyways because any real friend of mine would know that I don't have a contentious bone in my body!

In any case, I think I am due for a huge cull.  I don't need or want stuff like that in my life right now, or indeed ever.

 

This American election has been so very divisive, and I know that as a Canadian Brit I am not really entitled to an opinion one way or the other, but as an outsider looking in and as an older experienced person that has just been through Brexit here in the UK, I am totally, totally appalled at the behaviour and action of a great many people.  Nobody should have ever had to choose between two such people who neither one were (in my opinion) fit for purpose.  It should never have come down to the choice between those two.  In a nation as great as America, it is mind boggling that this is what happened.  And I think that no matter which side won,  America lost.   Just my opinion and again  . . .  I know I am not truly entitled to an opinion.

But what is really appalling is the lack of respect that I have seen over these past six or so months for the democratic process, both here in the UK and over in North America and not just in the US, but Canada as well.  Democracy is what sets the Western World apart from the rest of the world.  We are not led by dictators or despots.  We are led by duly elected officials that are put into their positions by the people they have pledged to serve.  There is always a winner and there is always a loser, but as a democracy we recognise that.  Sometimes we win, and sometimes we lose.  We are not always happy if we lose, but we know that we will have another chance in the not too distant future to change it, and yes, maybe we will lose again, but hey, that's how Democracy works.



And this is a Democracy which was paid for in blood.  The blood hundreds of  thousands of men and women here in the UK, Canada, USA, the Commonwealth and other good nations who fought to uphold our freedom  . . .  who felt these freedoms we take so for granted were worth fighting for, and that these countries we love so very much were worth fighting to protect.

And in my mind . . .  when we disrespect the Democratic process, no matter how disappointed we are that our side didn't win  . . .  we are disrespecting their sacrifice.

Just my two cents worth.

 

I was working on this yesterday.  She is standing next to the piles of stars I have punched which are sitting there waiting to be made into garlands.  I am not totally happy with her clothes, or completely finished with her face/hair.   I have more work to do and I am going to rip her clothes off and begin again but I thought you would enjoy seeing my progression!



I've also been making pompoms of various sizes.  It is mindless work.  You just sit and wind, cut, etc.  I want to turn them into garlands also.  We'll see.  I am not sure if I am going to stick with red, white and green or if I am going to do multi-coloured ones.

I am such a ditherer.  You should see me with a restaurant menu!  I am sure I change my mind a bazillion times before I always go back to my initial choice.   I don't know why I even bother to look at the menu.  Because the winner is always fish and chips.
                        
 

My friend Valerie posted this on her FB page.  I love it.  She posts the best things.  You can always be guaranteed a smile or two or three when you look at her page.  We should all be so kind  . . .

 


It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80’s arrived at the hospital to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.  The nurse took his vital signs and told him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.

On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.

I inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.

He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, ‘And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?’

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, 'She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is.'


 

On the surface this is a lovely story of a man and the love he holds for his wife.  Upon reflection however,  I am reminded of our Heavenly Father who loves us so very much, even though we often choose not to remember Him or pay any heed to Him, and yet . . .  He is always there.  We may forget Him, but He never forgets us.

So grateful for that.

Have a wonderfully blessed Sunday!  Be kind.

Photobucket

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Cherry and Almond Scones.  Delish!

Have a great day and don't forget  . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!



17 comments:

  1. Oh Marie what a terrible thing to happen. It might be just a minority but she hit at you for no reason. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Get rid of that dead wood and live your life in love.

    Democracy means that we have elections and the majority rules. Whatever happens in the elections, whoever wins we get together afterwards , winners and losers and go forward together to make our countries, our lives harmonious, to live side by side.

    Think family, think Christmas.

    Keep on being the wonderful person you are...says me as a very recent 'friend'. It doesn't take much reading of your blog to understand who you are and how much love you have for others.

    forget the piffle (great word)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! I love that word. Piffle. You have gotten my day off to a great beginning. You have a great day also! Love and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie. How awful for you. Some people are unbelievable, but look on the bright side, she's definitely not someone you would want as a friend anyway. It's her loss. The thing is she and her husband are wrong as well. You are entitled to an opinion on anything and everything, especially the US election. It affects all of us, all over the world. God help us!!!!

    I went to the Ideal Home Christmas exhibition in Manchester yesterday with my daughter. Candice and Selesi from GBBO were there doing a demonstration. There was so much Christmassy stuff it was amazing!

    We're off to Liverpool this morning for the remembrance service at St George's Hall. It looks like a lovely morning for it. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kate! You are right! What a lovely day in Manchester. Oh how nice that you got to se Candice and Selesi. What were they baking? Have a great day and enjoy the Remembrance Service. We are off to our own here in Ewloe at our chapel this morning also Love and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were making the genoise roulade they made on the show but combined their different fillings, I think it was a raspberry and pomegranate curd with cream and white chocolate!!! Some of the Christmas cakes on display were amazing! Some people are so talented. Hope you enjoyed your Remembrance service, ours was lovely and emotional. Xxx

      Delete
  5. Good Morning my darling girl. I am so very sorry that someone was hideous to you. The worst part of the internet is that we do see the other person we are trying to communicate with and this makes it so easy to make a mistake. If it ism't kind or true etc leave it alone to die a death. Hugs and love. We have a saying here, that reinforces that the USA has a huge impact on our world, "America sneezes and Australia catches a cold."

    I have a question now....Would you like to dither over a menu with me?

    God bless you now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to add in early January, 2017?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems our election has brought out a lot of hateful words and I myself have had some really surprise me. I really try not to get into any conversations about politics or our leaders except to say they are always in my prayers. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday. Relax and recharge and cherish those that love you ! That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie... So sorry someone was so un-kind. Sitting behind a screen ( so sad ), or in person--- un-kindness ---it is real and it is painful. I'm from a background of believers (taught strongly)... If you have nothing to say nice -- say nothing at all. I as well believe -do to others as you want others to do to you. This place is not our home and our Father in heaven is in charge--- always. You are a woman of faith and a follower of Christ our mighty King -he loves you. God bless you. I so enjoy your blog and your recipes are always so good.... And they work! Be well.... And enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the little doll marie and that star garland will be so festive..

    Have a beautiful day..!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing I enjoy more than dithering over menus Suzan! Eating is going to be very challenging here over the next half year or so. How to keep the weight on Todd without putting it on me! Oh my! Love and hugs. xoxo

    Its very sad Pam. We saw the same thing here when we had the Brexit vote, and it is still going on. It makes my heart very sad. God bless you. And yes, family is the most important thing! xoxo

    I am like you Cindy, this is not our home. We are strangers here. I can't believe that anything as important as the leadership of a country happens without God's approval. There is a plan and we have to trust in it. God bless you and thanks for your lovely comment! oxox

    It is 3 inches Linda. I had to mail order it. xoxo

    Thanks Monique, you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds lovely Kate! Our service was also lovely. Very touching. Had me in tears. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry that such unpleasantness visited you. I'm afraid there is a lot of that going around right now, here in the USA. It's akin to a Civil War, but 21st century style. I hope that it doesn't get worse before it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry you dealt with such anger from your Facebook friend Marie, but yes you are right - she wasn't likely a friend at all. There is a lot of anger and fear in America right now but the worst of it is adults have visited that fear upon their children. That should never happen. I'm praying for us all. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my sweet friend; I am so sorry you had to go through this with someone you thoughts was a friend. I agree with everything you said on this one. I, myself couldn't vote for either one of them. At least in Utah we did have other choices. I don't know what is in store for America but Elder Ballard in his message to us in our recent Regional conference said that if America doesn't turn back to God, we will suffer the consequences. We must protect our freedoms at all costs and I know that there is a prophecy that our constitution will hang by a thread and that the Elders will come forth and save it in some way. I think it is hanging now. How it all comes about I don't know but I fear for this great nation.
    I love the UK also and pray for all the countries that have fought with us in so many conflicts. Thanks for your thought today and I love you even more.
    I think your little doll is adorable. I enjoy all the crafts and things that you share. You are so talented and such an artist in every way.
    I loved the quote, the picture and the story of the man visiting his wife; it so tender and sweet. My Mother visited my Dad everyday in the care center while he was here suffering with Alziheimers. My Aunt did the same thing for her husband for almost 15 years. What love and dedication.
    Thanks dearest friend for your thoughts today! We haven't met but I pray we will someday because I treasure our friendship. Sending prayers, love and hugs your way~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope not as well Mary Ann, I think the media are hugely to blame also. They like to fuel the fires of discontent! They do the same thing over here! I pray for both our countries. xoxo

    I think that Obama should step in and make one of his famous speeches Marlene. Maybe people will listen to him? Love and hugs and prayers. xoxo

    I pray that we will someday get to meet also LeAnn! If not here then I am sure we will on the other side. I am positive we were great friends in the pre-existance. I do treasure you also. God bless you and Roger. You are such a fine example to me. Love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!