Monday 7 November 2016

Small and Wonderful Things . . .




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




Although it has been very cold, the last few nights have been very clear and we have been able to enjoy star lit skies.  Not quite like this, but I have been able to identify  several constellations.  I am reminded of cold evenings walking home from Brownies when I was a child and the incredible star filled skies of my childhood, and the magical wonder of gazing up at them.

We are not alone.

 

My niece Lisa and her long-time boyfriend are now engaged.  Congratulations to Lisa and Patrick.

  

They are a cute couple and have been dating for quite a while now.  We wish them all the happiness in the world together!

  

Being able to sit on our sofa together and watch the fireworks across the way with Mitzie cuddled up safe and sound between us.  All in the warm comfort of our own home.  No need to go out and freeze.

 

Having a roof over our heads to keep us warm and safe and dry.  So many in the world do not.

 

Being able to partake of the Sacrament worthily each week.   The last few conferences of the church have had some brilliant talks about the Sacrament which have helped me to bring more meaning into my weekly renewing of my covenants with the Saviour and my Heavenly Father as I partake of the Sacrament each Sunday.  I am more focused and this has been a very beautiful part of my Sunday mornings.  As I think about the meaning and spirit behind the sacramental prayers I have been able to not only partake of the Sacrament, but also the Atonement of the Saviour and I have felt a deep gratitude for Him.  In those few moments I am with Him and He is with me and I have felt of His love in a very meaningful way, which brings tears to my eyes and hope to my heart.  I am not just partaking of the bread and the water, but I am partaking of His great gift to us, of His great love for us . . . I am with Him in the Garden and on the Cross and I have felt of His spirit.     I have been able to partake of a solemn, sacred and spiritual moment, truly separate from the things of this world.

It has also been a special blessing being able to go with Todd and bring the sacrament to our friend Doreen so that she too can feel of the Saviour's love and blessings.



I was saying to Todd in the car the other day that the one greatest blessing I have been able to take from being able to serve a mission is to discover and have a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  I have learned what it means to live the Atonement and to partake of its blessings every day.  I know that might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it is a very big deal to me.  I have been able to press my fingers into the wounds in His hands and to thrust my hand into His side.  I have found an even deeper love for Him, even though I never thought that possible.   All that I do can never be enough, and yet  . . .  somehow it is.

 

The blessing of service.  Being able to visit those who needed a visit and to sit with them for a while.  To help them know that they are loved and cared for.

 

We had a beautiful lesson in Relief Society yesterday based on this talk on faith which President Uchtdorf gave at the last RS conference.  I highly recommend reading it.   I learned a lot about faith.  Funny how this goes . . .  you think you know all that there is to know about something and then you read or hear something and you magically know even more and gain a deeper understanding.

I am grateful for a heart that yearns and learns.



 Call the Midwife Sundays.   No, the new season is not yet on, but thanks to the miracles of DVD's and modern technology Sunday evenings can always be Call the Midwife Sundays.  We love this series and never tire of watching it.  It is the same with Downton or the Waltons, Christie, Little House, etc.    These shows never get old.


 


I may not have the blessing of seeing them very often but I visit my grandchildren daily in my prayers and keep them always in my heart.  I am so grateful that they are all healthy and safe and happy.

I love them.  Its as simple as that.

 

The gift of prayer  . . .

I use it multiple times a day.   He is always listening.

And those are my small and wonderfuls for this week. My days are filled with an abundance of blessings.  Maybe that is because I have a heart and eyes that look for them.   At the end of the day it is the small things in life which truly matter the most . . .

A thought to carry with you . . .


 ⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰
The purpose of life is to live it,
to taste experience to the utmost,
to reach out eagerly and without fear,
to the newer and richer experience.
~Eleanor Roosevelt  
 ⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰

Spiritual Enlightenment



In the English Kitchen today . . .  Baked Top Hat Pork Chops.   Deliciously moist chops baked beneath a corn stuffing.   Fabulously tasty!

May the week ahead of you be filled with many small and wonderful things.    Along the way don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!



9 comments:

  1. You are blessed to have such faith.

    The night sky is so clear in NZ, the stars seem so close to earth. We have wonderful vistas here too, but not so many stars it seems

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Marie. We, too, live in an urban environment and miss the true beauty of the stars. I am hoping that when I travel over the equator in March that I will see and learn about the stars of the northern hemisphere. The beauty of the ship I am sailing on is that she has her own planetarium with twice daily shows. I will be there as often as I can obtain the tickets.

    It has been hot today. Our fridge now holds 6 six or so lip glosses. The air con that we use the most is not cooling the room efficiently. I will have to climb up and have a go at cleaning it. Mum wants that now. The kids won't help. They have to then wait until I feel well enough to do it.

    Service is not always easy or simple. But I am sure that is one of God's wishes. I pray you are abundantly blessed by this year.

    God bless you and Todd today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda. We don't get to see the stars that I remember seeing as a child, because of light pollution, but I am always grateful to see any! My faith has not always been as strong as it is now I am thankful to have come as far as I have on my journey! Bless you! xoxo

    Don't you go pushing yoruself Suzan! You do things in your own time and if that isn't good enough then maybe they can do it in your stead. The Planetarium on the ship sounds lovely. I have heard of those and what a fab experience you will have! You are right about service. It is not always easy. The gentleman we sat with on Friday morning was hard work. God bless you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagined it very well. My life is currently filled with not so pretty moments and my patience is gone. I lament my short tongue and temper. I am going to bed early and trying to doze off. Today I have not had a nap and I feel sore of wounds and filled with arthritis. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((((hugs)))) Suzan. I hope you feel better soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy this day Marie..I have said it before..I admire your unfailing faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Monique! I think you are a woman of great faith also. You just don't talk about it. Love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do so love your daily posts! I'm in the thick of young motherhood and enjoy your perspective from "the other side". I also appreciate your testimony, honesty and artful/fanciful side. You definitely add to the happiness of my day, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Anna. I'd do enjoy your moments now while you are going through them. They pass and are gone all too quickly! Take notes! I sure wish I had! I would give all that I have mow to just have a few more moments with my wee ones and a cuddle! God bless you and your family. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!