Wednesday 29 June 2016

Getting creative . . .

 

“I have an idea that the only thing which makes it possible to regard this world we live in without disgust is the beauty which now and then men create out of the chaos. The pictures they paint, the music they compose, the books they write, and the lives they lead. Of all these the richest in beauty is the beautiful life. That is the perfect work of art.” 
~W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil 

I don't know when it started . . .  this desire of mine to create things where once nothing existed.   I only know that from my earliest memories I was always making something with my hands . . . colouring, drawing, writing, sewing, embroidering, knitting, etc.

I'm just a really creative person.   As a child I loved paper dolls, and I used to draw and colour new clothes for them.  They had wardrobes limited only by my imagination.

 

I was always fascinated by colour and by the ability to make something from nothing . . .  to re-create things which I admired.   I was also very resouceful.   We didn't have a lot of board games or such at home.  One year for Christmas we were given a set as a family which had something like 52 different games in it, including Chinese Checkers, Tiddly Winks, etc.   My friends had fun games like Mousetrap and Cluedo.   I borrowed my friends Cluedo game and totally created one for my self, painstakingly copying it from beginning to end from bits of cardboard, paper and colouring it with crayons.

I wish I still had it.  Not that it would be worth anything to anyone but me, but it would be interesting to see.

 

I used to love doing paint by number kits.  I can remember the smell of the paints.  All those coloured little pots.  You had to be very carefully opening them as you didn't want to spill them or waste any of the paint.  I remember one in particular which was a set of ballerinas.  I got so that I could blend all the edges in a way in which they didn't look quite so much like a paint by numbers anymore . . .

That made it a bit more challenging.  But I also loved to write.  Stories, poems, plays . . . there was always something new coming out of my brain.

 

A blank piece of paper still gets me excited.   When I am in meetings, I am always doodling in the margins of my notebook . . . I am always listening, but also always doodling.   I am taking the meeting in, but for some odd reason the doodling helps me to listen better if that makes any sense.  Doodling helps me concentrate.   Its the same when I am on the telephone.  I doodle.  I have spent hours and hours doodling.

If I am upset or worried . . . I lose myself in paper.  There is always a poem or a story running through my head.  Sometimes I actually think in rhyme.  I am always pairing up words in my mind . . .  what rhymes with  . . .

Words, colours, paper, canvas . . .  they are my muse.  And I never know what is going to come out when I sit down at my desk.  I am always just as surprised as anyone by what appears.  I don't have a plan . . .  I only want to create.  


 

"Sunny Loves a Summer Day"


“Painting is the silence of thought and the music of sight.” 
~Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red 

That's me in a nutshell.   And the medium I prefer to use these days is Copic Markers.  I love the way I can blend them and the vibrancy of the colours and the variety of the colours.   All I am really doing is drawing, colouring in and then detailing in ink.  I think just about anybody could do it.  I find it very relaxing and comforting . . .

 

"Skating on the Canal"


“The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting.” 
~Vincent van Gogh

I just know that it is something I must do.   My fingers itch to do it.  Its as much a part of me as being able to breathe.  It brings me joy and peace.

And I know that really, I am not a great master at any of it.   I have no patience for any of that  . . .  I just love doing what I do and that is enough.  And if it brings a smile to someone else's face, that just doubles the pleasure.

And I am always learning as I go along  . . .  trying something different, adapting, growing.  Its like an artistic journey.   I sure hope that I get to still do it when I get to paradise.

“A fine work of art - music, dance, painting, story - has the power to silence the chatter in the mind and lift us to another place.” 
~Robert McKee 

 

Happy Birthday to Mary who is turning 70 today!  That is quite a milestone!  I do hope YOU have a lovely day dear friend with lots of goodies and well wishes and love coming your way!

 photo SAM_5819_zps27e973e3.jpg

There's a tea party going on at ours this afternoon.  A few weeks back a friend  suggested we have one and I am always up for a tea party, even though we don't drink tea or coffee.  We'll just do herbal infusions and soft drinks.  But there will be plenty of goodies on offer.   Not so good for my diabetes, but I'll try hard to not go too crazy!  It will be fun just getting together.  Lord knows after the past week with all the negativity which has been going on, this will be just the ticket and every bit as good as a holiday I'll wager!  Todd is going to take himself off into town for the afternoon.  He loves a good boo around town.  I'll take some pictures if I remember or get a chance!

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

 ~•~♥♥♥~•.~•~♥♥♥~• ~
There are few hours in life 
more agreeable than the hour 
dedicated to the ceremony 
known as afternoon tea. 
~Henry James 
  ~•~♥♥♥~•.~•~♥♥♥~• ~

Spiritual Enlightenment



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Fruity Chicken Salad.  Delish!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!  I hope the sun shines wherever you are.  It's wet and very cool here!  Remember . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


11 comments:

  1. Morning Marie, Thank you so much for Mary's birthday wishes I will show her them when she comes over in about 20 mins. Then her birthday day can begin. She did have a few cards yesterday and I have waiting for her gifts from three people at church...it's just sad that her family never remember her...I know that one call from them or even a card would mean more than everything put together....however as I tell her it ....is their loss not yours love.....like you we have our afternoon tea party to look forward to, but unlike you I am taking everyone out to a nice new place that has recently opened.........I just loved reading all about your painting and writing passion, it's wonderful that you have been able to fulfill the need in your soul by painting such wonderful works of art....I keep praying that one day you will truly be ...discovered...you do such wonderful things. Looks like we are going to have a rather wet day down here. I have put on a pair of trousers this morning it looks a bit better I think when the rain pours !...must make a move and get the day started...thank you again for all you do for everyone...God Bless. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning everyone and a very happy birthday to Mary.

    Pip is sitting at the table trying to teach mum how to use gmail. Pip is being very patient and I have only witnessed a few minutes and I want to run away. It is so difficult because mum always wants to run the show.

    God bless your day and may it be very very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to ask are you selling the skater girl? If you are I would like to talk with you about buying her. I miss my ice skating.

    I also wanted to tell you this story. This afternoon we went out for a short while. It was about 17 and I thought the day was gorgeous. Pip was rugged up with tights, cardie, coat and ankle boots. When we were coming home her voice piped up, "Ah at last. My nails are no longer purple." She would die in a cold climate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I also love your artwork. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for always being such a great example. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a master at your work:) I have seen in person your stitchery..art..nothing short of perfection Marie.You have your own individual style and it's charming!And you do sooo many things soooo well!
    I bet the tea party will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do hope that my mailed birthday card arrived in time for Mary's Birthday Sybil. Sent it first class on Monday, so I have my fingers crossed! I did so want it to arrive on the day. I know how she feels when she doesn't get anything from her family. I always get three cards, one from Todd, one from my Mother and one from my Sister. I can depend on those, and I treasure each one! I hope you have had a lovely time at your tea party. We had a nice time here, but it did rain! Its been very cold also! xoxo

    Bless Pip and her patience Suzan! I can imagine how difficult it is. As always all of my art is for sale Suzan! Just message me on facebook. I have to laugh at you people thinking 17 is cold. If it gets up to 17 here we are complaining, 'aint it 'ot! lol (Not really, but we do think its quite warm!) xoxo

    Thanks Pam, I hope your day is a lovely one also! xoxo

    Thanks Deb! God bless you! Hope you are enjoying your summer holidays! xoxo

    Monique, there ended up only being 3 of us at the tea party in the end, for one reason or another . . . and Todd absconded into town. Nevermind. We had a great old natter and chew and a good time was had by all! Mitzie just loves the company! She is so well behaved! Thanks for all your compliments. Your work is also very precious. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the colorful photos of brushes and paint that are in your post; they capture the feel of your creative spirit. How nice your friend will celebrate her 70th birthday in style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my dear Marie, I totally enjoying reading about your creative side. You are so creative in so many different ways. I know these are gifts you were born with. What a great blessing you are to many. I admire all these talents and actually covet them a bit. Thanks for a wonderful read. Sending big hugs your way,😘💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. LeAnn, you also have many talents. I am in awe of you. You have such a beautiful spirit and way to express it. Love, hugs and blessings to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!