Tuesday 31 January 2017

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

 FOR TODAY, January 31, 2017

Outside my window ...
Its dark and cold, but no rain yet.   Long range forecast calls for rain however and lots of it.  And a cold front bringing colder weather.  Oh joy!  My arthritis always gets worse with the colder weather.

I am thinking ...
How can we already be at the last of January?  Wasn't Christmas like  . . .  yesterday???  Would someone please stop time!  However, on the other hand, the progression of time is the only way Spring is going to arrive, so maybe not.

In the kitchen ...


 Honey Garlic Pork Chops.  Todd really enjoyed these.  He is a meat and potatoes kind of a guy through and through.

On my "To Cook" list ...
 

Skinny Double Chocolate Brownies, from Kleinworth & Co.  Skinny?  Brownies?   YES please!

Good to know ...

 

 Been doing ivory soap and water for years, but never knew about olive oil.

I am creating ...
 I am working on a sewing kit in a biscuit tin.  The biscuit tin is a black scottie dog that had shortbread biscuits in it.


This is the tin, and its going to be so cute when it is finished.  I am making a scottie dog needle book, a scottie dog in cushion and other things.   I also have about six of these to do . . .

 

  . . . the same thing with.  We will see what happens.  My eyes are probably bigger than my head and for once I am not talking about food!



 From Little Limpet.  A Valentine Box Card Origami tutorial.  These are so cute!



 I love these embroidered Stuffed Valentine Hearts from Flamingo Toes.   Totally DIY.  ( I really love the names people give to their blogs.  I would love to know the story behind this one.)


 

 I also love these heart shaped pot holders.  I had bought some a long time ago on Etsy, but that seller is no longer there.  Guess I will have to make my own as the ones I have are getting tatty.   Tutorial on A Spoonful of Sugar.

 

 From Bugaboo City, a Valentines Day Love Letter Banner.   I adore this.


 And I am looking for the source for these.  They are totally adorable.

I am reading ...

 

Proof of Heaven,
a Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife, by Eben Alexander MD 

Internationally acclaimed neurosurgeon Dr Eben Alexander always considered himself a man of science. His unwavering belief in evidence-based medicine fuelled a career in the top medical institutions of the world. But all this was set to change.

One morning in 2008 he fell into a coma after suffering a rare form of bacterial meningitis. Scans of his brain revealed massive damage. Death was deemed the most likely outcome. As his family prepared themselves for the worst, something miraculous happened. Dr Alexander's brain went from near total inactivity to awakening. He made a full recovery but he was never the same. He woke certain of the infinite reach of the soul, he was certain of a life beyond death.

In this astonishing book, Dr Alexander shares his experience, pieced together from the notes he made as soon as he was able to write again. Unlike other accounts of near-death experiences, he is able to explain in depth why his brain was incapable of fabricating the journey he experienced. His story is one of profound beauty and inspiration.

Compelling.

I am looking forward to ...
My friend Lura and her husband John's visit in April, then my friend Val and her husbans Steve in May, and Elder Sorenson and his wife also in May, then my daughter Eileen and her husband Tim are hoping to come for the month of July.  So much to look forward to!  Oh yes and meeting up with my Friend Susan Dahlem (Not Quite June Cleaver) in August!  Yay!

Dreaming about ...


Having a kitchen island like this (and a kitchen large enough to fit it!)


A rustic guest bedroom . . .  and a room large enough to hold this  . . .

 

Sigh  . . .  bright and airy . . .


Can you just imagine  . . .


 Yes, please  . . .

Something to Watch ...


Recently rewatched and were entertained by The Terminal starring Tom Hanks. Enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time around.

A favourite quote for the day  . . . 

(¯`v´¯)
 `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
                   ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..

People can live for a hundred years without really living for a minute.
~The Gilmore Girls

Makes me smile ...

Puppies . . .  any kind.  Kittens too . . . 

One of my favourite things ...  
 

Vintage kitchenalia . . .  love these bowls.

Corners of my kingdom ...

 


Scotney Castle, Kent.  We sent many a Saturday there wandering around the grounds.  Just beautiful.


And that's my daybook for this week!


 ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
 ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆


✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░


Wherever you go and whatever you do, I hope there's a great day ahead of you! Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════



And I do too!


 

11 comments:

  1. Part of the castle looks underwater (or is underwater?)--How beautiful. I'll have to look up more information and pictures on it.

    I love that bedroom--I always wanted to have a sister or a couple sisters and have a room with two or three single beds lined up like that. My mom has three brothers and three sisters and for awhile did have the bedroom with all the little beds and desks lined-up. My heart! I always wanted that. ♥

    Yes to bright and airy rooms too. Those living rooms are gorgeous.

    'Followed you on twitter yesterday too. :)

    Hugs,

    Val ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and good morning Marie. Once again I love what you have shared. My head is dreaming of soft white spaces and coolness. I am missing the cold. The highest the car read today was 38 while I waiting for mum at the hospital . Nothing dire just skin checks today.

    Good luck with you sewing kit planning. It really is time to sort and plan for the year ahead. January has flown. I think I have that book on my kindle. I have so much to read. I also loved the beds in a row. At one stage my three insisted that they would share a room. I had a u shape in the room and they only slept in that space. As time went my they all wanted their own space.

    God bless you and keep you both. Lots of love always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marie! My sentiments exactly... where do the days go, and how can we be turning the calendar to February already tomorrow?! VERY interesting method for cleaning make up brush. I've just been doing soap & water since my teens too... who knew?! aaawww... LOVE that Scottie biscuit tin!! Oh, I saw those felt & fabric hearts on Flamingo toes a week or so ago--they are on my to-make list! And love all your dream photos... It's good to dream. ;) We still dream of seeing Scotney Caslte... But right now we're dreaming and hoping our new kitty Luna will come out from hiding behind the sofa.... LOL! She's a shy little miss, so this could take a while. But having a lovely first day at home with her. Hoping to share new photos soon! Happy week, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea that is Maria to fill a Scottie box with Scottie shaped...things...you do come up with the best ideas ?? But as you also say it's not the thinking up the ideas it's actually fulfilling them...LOL....You certainly have a busy year ahead, I am just praying that you and Todd can keep well and are able to enjoy the visits. You left me of your list !!! I have PROMISED and I will see you one way or another !this year...take care, hope you don't have to go out today as it's another wet one...at least it is down here....Now Mary and I are going up to church they are having an aftern ion tea party in aid of Christian aid..for once I am not involved so I can ....maybe,.....just sit back and enjoy the home made cakes. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tins Marie..I should check in my small British shop..Walker's have disappointed me lately..dod you find they changed their taste?

    Everything you like..I like:)
    You ahve to see these cute things too..

    http://thedecoratedcookie.com/2017/01/unicorn-marshmallow-pops/#comment-502830
    Have a lovely day..you could have a tea shop/gift shop..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always glad to see the end of January it is such a dreary month. Looks like February is to be much colder here and snowier too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always loved our visits to Scotney Castle Val, and it was so very photogenic. It did not matter which time of year that we went. The Castle itself was largely a ruin, but the grounds were beautiful especially when the rhododendrums were in bloom. I know I spelt that incorrectly!) xoxo

    Suzan I cannot imagine having to cope with your temperatures! Yuck! What a lovely memory of your kiddies when they were small. So excited for you all. Love and hugs. xoxo

    Oh Tracy I cannot wait to see pics of little Luna in your home. She will soon come to know that she has landed in the most wonderful home and family to live with! Happy week right back, love and hugs, xoxo

    Oh, I am not forgetting you dear Sybil, as IF I COULD??? NOT LIKELY! But no firm date yet, just hopeful! Enoy your tea afternoon with being waited on instead of the other way around! xoxo

    Oh, for sure Monique, the biscuits are always disappointing and not what they used to be. They must have changed the recipe. I buy for the tins not the cookies. I am inccrrigible I know. A sucker for pretty tins! Love the Unicorn pops! I have a friend who is very into making those things and Have forwarded the link to her, thanks so much! I agree we are more alike than we are different! xoxo

    Brrr Pam. It is supposed to get colder here by the weekend also! Our bush by the front door is filled with pink blooms bursting out. I hate to think of what will happen to them! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say Murphy's Oil soap..great to wsh brushes too!

    So happy you agree w/ me re Walker's..like a sour taste..:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing beats homemade Monique, NOTHING. You know what I mean! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a wonderful daybook entry as always. The food just looks so yummy and I wish there was a true skinny brownie. Your Scottie Dog's are adorable. You do the cutest things ever. I am so excited about your company this summer; it sounds so fun. I love that Lura and John are coming; they are the best too. I have loved my moments with them. The Proof of Heaven book looks like a compelling one.
    As always I like your fun decor ideas. We like the same things in this area.
    Loved reading this one! Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks LeAnn! I don't think anything is truly skinny. We are doomed, lol Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!