Monday 16 January 2017

Small and Wonderful Things . . .



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.




We watched this film on Saturday evening.   I had never seen it before.  It was really good.  I gained a deeper understanding of just how women gained the vote and the sacrifice involved, the price which was paid for our right to do so by so many women.  And yet today it is a right which is taken for granted by so very many people, and even squandered.   I came to the realization that freedom always comes at a price.  There are countries in the world today where women still don't have the right to vote or choices to make or the freedom to choose.  In the West we take our freedoms very much for granted.  Probably because, for me anyways, I have always had them.  I vow this year to appreciate what I have for what it is and to be grateful for the sacrifice which brought these things to me. Never take it for granted.


Todd tired very easily these days.   We have to get all that we need to get done early in the day.  I have always been a morning person anyways, so that works for me.   Todd, he's not so much a morning person.  Some days he struggles even in the mornings.  Other days are really good days and he doesn't struggle at all.  Grateful for those and indeed grateful for any day at all, even the ones that are struggles.  I am my love and my love is me.  We are so blessed to have each other.  He is always so grateful when I go to his appointments with him, but . . . .  where else would I want to be?   I tell him that with him is where I always want to be . . .  good, bad or inbetween.  He is my eternal companion.  I love him.   I don't just love the healthy him, or the happy him, or the energetic him . . .  I love HIM.  There is no place I would rather be than by his side.


I love seeing these two together.  I can tell they are more than brother and sister, but also great friends.  May it always be so.  Siblings are a gift.  They share something with you that nobody else on earth shares with you.   You have a history with them that nobody else can ever completely know or understand.  I am so grateful for my own sister and brother and that we are also friends.  We may not have a lot of other things in common but it doesn't matter.  We love each other and we CARE about each other.  We got each other's backs.  Having a brother or  sister or both is just the best thing ever.


It only becomes a problem when it becomes more than a little . . . . I am a great fan of dark chocolate.   I like the Green & Blacks dark milk chocolate.  It is my favourite of all chocolates.




This is a recent photo of Lucy one of my grand-doggies.  She has grown into a beautiful dog.  I love also this glimpse of my homeland, the Valley, even in the Winter . . . it is a beautiful place.    I think that Orchards give us a wonderful glimpse into the seasons.  Even in the winter you can see the promise of springtime . . .


Grateful for a heart that feels  . . .  all things.   I would rather be the way I am, feel the things that I feel, than be stone cold and heartless, even if it does really hurt sometimes.



Grateful to know who I am and why I'm here and where I am going when I leave here.  Even if I do sometimes need reminding.   I am not afraid to die.  Not really.   Oh, I know I will miss the people I love, and leaving them behind is the only thing which scares me, because I think to myself, I'm not ready to leave them.   I will never be ready to leave them, but somebody has to go on ahead.  Every adventure begins with someone who is ready and willing to take that first step into the unknown.  As the oldest of my family that position falls to me and I would not want it any other way.  I could not bear for one of them to go first, so I will lead the way, even if I do sometimes feel afraid.  I know in my heart that something much better awaits us.  When I think of that I get really excited.

 

So grateful for new days and new beginnings, opportunities and chances, fresh clean pages to write upon.   Each day I tell myself, today I am going to write the best story yet of my life!  And somehow, it happens.  Each day that passes somehow becomes magically even better than the day before!  There is always a blessing, a lesson, a joy, a miracle, an opportunity to take/make/experience.


Sometimes I think my mother should have called me Pollyanna becuse I play the "Glad Game" every day!  Didn't you just love that movie!  It is one of my all time favourites and I never get tired of it.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛*If you look for the bad in people
          expecting to find it,
                   you surely will.
                       ~Abraham Lincoln  •。★★ 。* 。


Spiritual Enlightenment



In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Sticky Maple Bangers with Irish Champ.

Hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things!  Don't forget along the way that  . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


5 comments:

  1. Loved that movie!

    Poor Todd..
    I agree that being with someone at appointments is even rewarding for us.
    Shows we care..a lot..and patience..is a virtue..you learn that if you don't already have it..in waiting rooms..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great week ahead filled with more new and wonderful things! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon Marie. I am in Geneva and so far it appeals to me. If I look out our hotel window I can see part of the snowy alps. That is so special. There were some snowy patches in France and I enjoyed those. We had another moment that was pure serendipity. I love that word. Beth hated the economy class on the Swiss train so we booked first. I hated dragging my suitcase...I don't think II will use those again,,,because we were upstairs. The surprise was we were served a meal. They had a veg option and between us Beth managed a real meal. I enjoyed a glass of wine. That is rare for me. I felt very spoiled.

    Did you get any snow? The south of England was white last weekend.

    I understand how tired Todd is. I have nursed so many people through this process. We used to keep them in hospital Monday to Friday. Sometimes I wonder it that was easier as some people are so worn and the carer needs a rest ooo. I prayer for Todd and I hope that he has some good days ahead before the next stage of treatment begins.

    God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie, I am late today as I am just back from London, an old friend of Sarah's ....my sister.....died just before Xmas and the funeral was today she was such a dear dear lady Beth, Max and I felt we should go so Max drove my car, we left at around 9.30 got up to the church in Battersea about 11.50 a bit early but we just sat in the car chatting till it was time to go in...I used my battery chair as the steps seemed quite steep and they had a disabled entrance..anyway long story I got into the lift with a kind of lady verger ( think that's what they are called in the Church of England)...the lift had hardly moved when it stopped, it continued to do that various people came to try to help, by then I had decided that every time they left it alone for 2/3 mins it went up a little more till finally after 20 mins in the lift we reached the church level...few was I relieved especially as the lady with me smelt non to pleasant !!! BUT the laugh came when I tried to get down after the service..the same lady said NO you can't use the lift ...I said how we going to get down ?..she said its fine...Wait for it !!!.....I've got the undertakers to carry you out.......well Marie I nearly fell out of the chair at the idea........I wasn't quite ready for the undertaker to carry me out the church LOL....however Max and Beth to the rescue I explained that I could get out of the chair and walk slowly with help down the steps if the undertakers could take the wheelchair......minus me LOL...and that's what we did...I'm sure dear Winifred must have been having a great laugh at what was going on !!!...hope I've given you a laugh .....after the funeral we found a place for a late lunch with another friend who had come to the funeral......after a delicious meal it was Lebanize ? ...or some such restaurant, for the first time I had a wrap filled with chicken,cucumber,onions in a garlic mayo with a small bowl of delicious chips...thankfully Max has a good appetite and helped eat half mine so all was very good....So that's my day almost finished, I'm going to try to read a bit of today's paper before bedtime....night night Marie God Bless. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right Monique, patience is definitely a virtue and one that I am constantly working on! I wonder if I will ever get it! xoxo

    Thanks Pam, you too! xoxo

    Sounds like you are having a great vacation with Beth Suzan! We did not get any snow here in Chester, just rain. Why is snow so much prettier? Don't know but it is! Love you! xoxo

    Oh dear Sybil! I can't think of anything that has made me laugh more this week. I am glad that you were able to get down without the undertakers having to carry you! haha that is something that need only happen once in our lifetime! Adventure sure seems to follow you wherever you go. Your lunch sounds delicious! I love wraps! when we got to McDonalds I often have their sweet chili Chicken wrap instead of a burger! It makes me feel quite righteous when I am eating it. Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!