Monday 9 January 2017

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



Rich Tea Biscuits, which are a real treat for me.  As a diabetic I shouldn't be really eating much in the way of sweets and treats, but a rich tea biscuit now and again are something I really enjoy.  Low in calories, fat and salt, they are also fairly low in sugar.  Everyone needs a bit of a lift now and than in the way of a sweet treat!  Plain Digestives are also on the list of can have ever now and agains!


I have been enjoying all the snowy photos from home.  It is nice to see the snow and know that I don't have to shovel it or clear the car off, or drive in it or anything else.  I can admire it from afar, and do so in the safety and warmth of my own home.


This is a photo my sister took yesterday.  They got quite a lot of it as you can see.    Its a Winter Wonderland for anyone who doesn't have to try to get about in it.  I was well used to driving in snow once upon a time, but I don't think I could cope with it now.



Another photo my sister took. My mother kept exclaiming to me about the pretty fat Blue Jay that was visiting her yesterday when we were talking on the telephone.  This must have been him.   I love Blue Jays.  I know they can be aggressive, but they are such pretty birds.    This one was giving my mother no end of pleasure watching him.  


The Blue Jays here in the UK are very different looking to those in North America as you can see from this photograph.  Pretty in a very different way.

As you know I love watching birds.  I could never have a pet bird myself.  I think birds need to be free and soaring as they were intended to do.   On our way to church yesterday there were a lot of gulls about, which usually means that there is bad weather out to sea . . . someone had dropped a loaf of bread into the road and one was busy feasting on it.   So busy he wasn't interested in moving as we drove towards it.  I kept saying move gull, move gull and finally it did, but we were almost on top of it before it did.  I don't particularly like gulls, but I didn't want to run over one either!

I love talking to my mother on Sundays.  I would love to talk to her every day and I could easily do that, but I don't think she would bear this intrusion into her schedule every day . . .  and she would struggle with things to talk about as the activity in her life is very limited now.  I wouldn't mind listening to the same stories again and again as it would just be lovely to hear her voice but I think it would distress her.  I could be wrong though . . .


I believe this to be true.   I live my life looking for the miracle and something to be thankful for every day.  I choose to dwell on the good rather than the bad.  Oh sure  . . . sometimes it is hard to do so.  We all carry a measure of sorrow with us, but for the most part I have even been able to find the miracle in that and see it as a gift.  Maybe I have not yet faced the true test.  



Facetimes with dad.  I have had the pleasure of two of those over this past week.  It's been nice.  He called me again yesterday.  He was wearing his Star Trek pajamas.  I suppose with all the snow he wasn't going to be going anywhere and was having a day in his jim jams.  We never talk for a really long time, but it is nice just to talk for whatever and to be able to see each other.  I wish mom would be more up for things like that, but she isn't.  Technology bothers her and makes her nervous.  She won't even have a bank card.  He told me he had had scrambled eggs for breakfast and a delicious chicken sandwich for lunch and his girlfriend was in the kitchen making them chicken soup for supper.



Getting to facetime with Doug and his boys again yesterday also.  The "Gas" game was a hit.  Jake especially was enjoying it and it wasn't even his birthday.  You just got to love Jake's enthusiasm for life!  Well, I do at any rate.   It was a rather poor connection yesterday but what we did get to see/hear/speak was great!

I am so grateful for modern technology!




Especially liking this.  What a beautiful reminder that we are not alone in our sufferings.  Everyone has them and a reminder also that God can use our failures/sorrows/pain etc. to build something beautiful for us if we let Him.  We are just so impatient most of the time.  We want everything now.

 
I love the hymns of our church.   If you take the time to study the words, they are just so beautiful.    I was sitting in church yesterday and I decided that I am going to go through all the hymns in our hymn book this year, one at a time, and write my observances  and feelings of them in my journal.  I think that would be a good thing.  One day my words is all that will be left of me here on earth.  I wish so much that I could have my Grandmother's words to read  . . .  my grandchildren will have mine.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛*When you are hugging a child,
 always be the last one to let go.
  You never know how long they need it.
      ~author unknown  *。*˚*。*˚

Spiritual Enlightenment 

 

In the English Kitchen today . . .  Chai Spiced Glazed Doughnut Muffins.  These were really good.

Have a great week.  I hope it is filled with many small and wonderful things!  Don't forget . . .


 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


5 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie, It is so stuffy in this hotel. I am longing to be outside in the fresh air. Only a few hours now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Marie, at the moment we have a beautiful sunrise just coming up, however Carol the weather forecaster has just told us it will rain in another hour or so and towards end of week the snow will arrive. Let's hope if it does come it won't stop for long ......Monday is Pams day so I love when she comes over.then this afternoon the guild starts, everything is starting up again after the Christmas break....Must go now Mary is just about to arrive...praying today is a great one for you Todd and Mitzie nxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a resemblance your dad w/ your brother..I find..
    I have always loved that quote Marie..and this one that I saw in a favored garden"Be still and know that I am God"
    I find you do feel that in a garden..you mentioned the miracles happening under the ground..the cycle of things..the glory of a garden.
    I love that quote in a garden..
    Have a beautiful day..off to see your muffs;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love technology! It does keep us al closer in touch. And I love the hymn in church. Just yesterday I was saying just that to my daughter as we finished up the service with We Three Kings ! Hope this new week brings you only more wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a truly great day Suzan! Hated to see it end! xoxo

    Weather was pretty miserable here yesterday Sybil, but we did not let it dampen our spirits. Put a bit of a damper on what we could see, but otherswise we had a beautiful day. I have heard we might get snow and ice by end of week. I hope it doesn't last long. We have places to go and things to do! xoxo

    I am like you Monique, you feel so close to God in a Garden. It is the whole cycle of life. On one of the CTMW episodes they are sitting on a bench outside a church and there is a lovely garden quote about God on one of the benches. I am going to have to go look it up now! xoxo

    What a lovely hymn to sing in the new year Pam. I believe that traditionally they Wise Men were thought to have arrived about that time (I could be wrong) so its very appropriate! Hope your week is filled with many lovely things also! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!