Monday 30 January 2017

Snaps and snails . . .


 photo Luke-1.jpg

One of the younger  sisters in my church congregation just had a baby boy recently.    I saw him for the first time a few weeks back.   Wee babies are so beautiful.  His fingers were so tiny and delicate . . . that beautiful little face, so perfect . . . so sweet.    It reminded me of when my own boys were babies, and my girls too.   It was so long ago, and yet . . . it seemed like just yesterday that I was holding them in just the same way and they, too . . . were fresh from our Heavenly Father's presence.    My grandson Luke turns seven today.   He is my oldest son's youngest son . . . this is for him.

  photo Luke-2.jpg

Somewhere between the innocence of babyhood and the dignity of manhood, we discover a delightful little creature which is called a boy.   These creatures come in all different sizes, weights and colours, but all come with the same goal in life which is to enjoy every second of every minute of every hour of every day and to protest loudly when that day comes to an end and the last minute is finished and the adult male in the house packs em off to bed at night.

 photo LukeHalloween2012.jpg

You can find boys everywhere; on top of, beneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to!   Mothers love and adore them, little girls hate the bones off them, older brothers and sisters tolerate them, adults ignore them, teenage girls adulate them . . . and Heaven protects them.

  photo image-3.jpg

A boy is truth with a dirty face, knowledge with bubblegum in his hair . . . and the hope of our future with a frog in his pocket.   When you are busy and wanting peace and quiet . . . a boy is an inconsiderate, bothersome, intruding cacophony of noise.  When you want him to impress, his brain turns to mush, or else he becomes a sadistic, savage, jungle creature bent on destroying the world and himself with it.

 photo 418695_10151204800947247_1025191058_n.jpg

A boy is a mixture of many things.   He has all of the appetite of a horse, the digestion of a sword swallower, the energy of a small atomic bomb and all of the curiosity of a cat.   In him is the imagination of Paul Bunyan, the lungs of  an absolutist, all the daring of a great adventurer, the enthusiasm of a fire cracker . . . as well as all of the shyness of a trembling violet.   When he makes something . . . and he often does . . . he appears to have five thumbs on each hand.

  photo LukeNovember2012.jpg

He likes ice cream and candy, knives and saws, Christmas, Comic Books, Dinosaurs, Video games, daring adventures, mud, his friends, the woods, water, horses and dogs, trains and fire engines, Saturday mornings and his Dad.  He's not into school of any kind, company, girls, getting his hair cut, washing behind his ears, wearing a tie, washing his hands, overcoats, adults, or bed time.   He's the first to rise in the morning and late for supper, but nobody can attack a meal with the appetite of a behemoth like a boy can.   Nobody else can get the pleasure out of trees, forts, dogs and breezes like a boy can.

 photo LukeMarch2012runningaway.jpg

They are magicians which can cram more into one pocket than is humanly possible . . . two rusty knives, two half eaten apples, three feet of string, a variety of rubber bands, an empty Bull Durham sack, a couple of hard candies, a couple of quarters, nickles and dimes, a treasure map,  a packet of bubblegum, a secret decoder ring, a sling shot, a dead frog and a big chunk of something completely unknown and undefinable.

 photo HappyBoys_zps37b133d3.jpg

Boys are wonderful beings.  You can lock him out of your kitchen, or workshop . . . but you can never lock him out of your heart.  You can keep him out of the study, but you can never keep him out of your mind.   He's your captor, your jailor, your boss and master . . . . freckle faced, pint sized . . .  a cat chasing bundle of noise, but at the end of the day when you are tucking him in bed with only the tatters of the day that was and your hopes and dreams . . . he can mend them like new, with three little words.   I love you.  And as those wiry little arms wrap themselves around your neck to say goodnight, you realize that  life is good . . . amazingly, wonderfully and beautifully good.

(Adapted into my own words from a piece by Alan Beck.  All of the photos this morning are of my grandson Luke. )

 

Happy Birthday Luke!  Grammy and GranTodd love you!   Your Joie de Vivre and boundless energy bring amazing light into our lives.  We hope your day is as brilliant as you are!


Many thanks to you all for your prayers, love and support for Todd and for me during this trial in our lives.  It means the world to me.   Everyone needs a "boo-hoo" "woe-is-me" moment now and then.  Thanks for bearing up with me me through mine.  It could always always be worse, and more often than not I am very aware of that . . . thanks for being with me when I am not!

A thought to carry with you  . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛* The closer we are to the shepherd,
the safer we are from the wolves.
~Jarred Wilson  •。★★ 。* 。 

Spiritual Enlightenment  



Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Tomato Lasagne.  Simple ingredients, beautiful flavours.   Wowza!

Have a fabulous Monday, may your week ahead be filled with small and wonderful things.  Don't forget along the way . . .


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!



10 comments:

  1. Marie and boys. When I taught I used to secretly love the naughty boys. They lightened the long and dreary days of a special ed teacher. As I was attached to a preschool sometimes the horror were sent to me to provide a classroom some much needed relief. My boy had his moments. Today, at the princely age of 25 he demanded a hug. It was hot and sticky and stinky as he had been working in the yard.

    I look forward to the time of life when babies enter our world again.

    God bless you and Todd today and always. Love to Mitzy too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahi Marie, last yesterday...almost first today !! Hope you and Todd had a good nights sleep...I had not to bad until 4 ok when Masyndecided to tell me it was time to get up...I told her NO go back to bed, but that was me awake, I did dose a bit but it's not the same.mSo I am a bit like a half closed knife at the moment. I will have to shake myself ........I enjoyed your story about boys..as I was one of three girls and then four nieces we havnt had a lot to,do,with,boys...I do have two great boy nephews but I don't see them much just photographs and news via Facebook...but I have no doubt the two of them are very similar to,your stories !!!....have a good day love. Had a quick e mail from L this morning she is on the ship now but were ok.about the BB I have found xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Suzan, we do love our boys! Grandchildren are a very wonderful blessing in life, near or afar! Love and hugs. xoxo

    Mitzie woke me up at about quarter to five this morning Sybil! What is it about our puppies wanting us to get up so early. I strongly suspect in my case it is more to do with the tummy than anything else! She is a glutton! Happy that things are falling into place about Lura! I am excited to see her again. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes. You said it all so well. Small boys are dynamos. Absolutely spot on . Bless them all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can attest to the above..One thing..I never knew litle boys would be so tender and loving..and OH SO FUNNY..well said Marie..

    Tchin tchin..we just had tea:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having 6 boys of my own and several grandsons, I did love your post about boys. A very happy Birthday to your Luke. I also have a grand son Luke. Hope your Monday is a wonderful one !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your love for your children and grandchildren, your husband, friends and most of all God is a beautiful thing to behold. Truly Marie, you give so much of yourself and that is an incredible gift.

    Please know that you are loved and appreciated in return. I am praying for Todd's healing, your peace and many more years of love ahead of you both.

    <3 Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to you and Todd. I'm reading along, just not online as much as before. ♥ You remain in my prayers, sweet Marie. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh Marie; you have such an adoarble little man. He is so cute! You did discribe a boy to the tee. They are just so like that. I loved our three boys and enjoyed them through all their stages. I had one son that was all of these discriptions and more. He gave us a run for our money for sure. Thanks for sharing this cute one.
    A late Happy Birthday To this sweet 7 year old boy of yours.
    Always in my prayers both Todd and You! Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So late responding to all of these comments girls. I apologise for that. My days seem to be disappearing into the ether at times. Thanks so much to each of you for your thoughts and comments and prayers. LInda, I love that word Dynamos. Yes, very much so! Monique, where would we be without our little boys! Pam, your home must have been hopping with fun and boyish antics! Val, I appreciate each and every one! LeAnn thanks so very much also.

    Love all of you and appreciate you more than you know! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!