Saturday 14 January 2017

Saturday this and that . . . .

  

This is the time of year that the seed and garden catalogues start to fall through the letterbox.   Oh, I do so love planning a garden . . .  the paper comes out and the coloured pencils and I start to sketch what I want here or there.  In my mind's eye I see a glorious garden . . . .


 Filled with lollypop Ewe trees and  purple balls of allium . . .  towering spikes of foxglove, delphinium and hollyhock . . . rambling roses and dancing daises.   Orderly chaos and a riot of colour, smell and texture, enough to delight all the senses.

I can almost imagine myself sitting in my garden chair and enjoying it all whilst birds twitter in the background and fat little bumble bees bumble from bloom to bloom . . . it is an idyllic picture my imgination paints.



 Moss covered stone paths lead us here and there amongst the blooms . . .  to secret places, places where you can sit and reflect and daydream and relax, in hidden worlds that outsiders can never touch or see, filled with steeples of incredibly blue blooms, and rich, fat impossible-looking peonies.  Fairy story sunflowers with faces as big as dinner plates turned towards the sun . . .

Ahh  . . .  the sun.  The sun always shines in my imaginary garden.  It only rains at night and then it is but a soft drizzle, just enough to put a smile on the garden's face and fulfil its thirst.   We wake up each morning  to warm dew covered grass and the promise of another bright day . . . oh the bliss of having a vivid imagintion and a garden catalogue to while away a cold and drizzly day.


 Winter does have it consolations  . . . all enjoyed by warmth of firelight.  Though no sunlight gleams  . . .  thoughts of blooms and lovely things of comfort and cheer bring unto weary hearts a secret happiness.  We know that beneath the hard cold ground lays all the promise of an English spring, and we are content to bide our time and console ourselves with the dreams of yet-to-come blooms and garden bliss . . . .


 

 Even vegetables are not safe from my dreams.   I like to plan them also.  I only lack the time, cash and skill to make those dreams come true.  Sigh . . .

What a busy day we ended up having yesterday.   I popped out first thing to pick up a few bits for lunch.  Then the zone leaders came and we spent a great time together having lunch and we helped to train them a bit and hone their skills.  I think we all enjoyed it very much and there were cream cakes.  Then the boiler man came and serviced the boiler.  

We have a cupboard in the kitchen which needs to be taken down each time the boiler is serviced.  Todd had managed to get it down, but could not get it back up, so we called the Zone Leaders and they came back to the house and helped to put it back up again.  Todd had been really struggling with it and just couldn't do it.  It broke my heart a tiny bit to see how very tired he is at the moment.  Things which he used to do with ease are now much more difficult.  They were happy to do it for us and Todd was grateful that they were able to do it.  All was well in the end, and that's what counts.

It made me more cognizant of the fact that we really need to downsize even more.  So things are not so much of a burden and a responsability.  I talked to my daughter for a while on the messaging and we watched a bit of telly and then fell into bed at the end of the day.   Mitzie loves it when we have company (So long as it isn't puppy company.) so she was tired and happy also.




Happy Birthday today to our dear friend Sybil!  We hope you have a beautiful day filled with lots of love and blessings!  Wish I could bake you a cake and sing Happy Birthday to you in person!

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛*I want to have a little house
        with sunlight on the floor,
                A chimney with a rosy hearth
                           and lilacs by the door.
                               ~Nancy Bird Turner  •。★★ 。* 。


Spiritual Enlightenment


 

 In The English Kitchen today . . . . Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake for One.  Oh my word, this is gorgeous and so so so dangerous!  You can be sticking your spoon into it in about 2 minutes time, 3 minutes max.  Oh boy . . .

 I hope you have a wonderful Saturday.  Stay warm and stay safe.  Don't forget  . . .



═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


11 comments:

  1. Good morning from Paris. You have had a huge day and I hope today is easier for Todd. Love always and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzan! I hope you have another lovely day in Paris!! Stay warm! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add a happy Birthday greeting to Sybil in your post too. I used to follow her blog, but haven't seen anything in a long time. She is a dear! Glad you got the needed help there. It's true we can't do as much as we used to when we get older, but the important thing is we can still do something. Hope you have a super Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Marie..I hear you re Todd..Jacques has built parts of homes..garden sheds ,garages..etc..not anymore....hands lose strength..bodies do also..he is so independant..my daughter keeps saying ask the boys to cord the wood(lots)..etc..nope he still does it all..trooper..Like Todd I bet.
    You write beautifully Marie:)

    Take care ..Todd too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have a boiler that is behind a fitted kitchen cupboard, which needs to be pulled out whenever the boiler is serviced, so I sympathise.

    I love looking through seed catalogues at this time of year too.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure that Sybil will appreciate your Birthday greetings Pam! She is a dear, but I don't think she blogs anymore. She is on FB though. xoxo

    Todd hates having to admit defeat. He still thinks he is going to drive himself to all of his treatments. I am going with him of course, but I am quite sure he won't be able to and will weaken with each one. I keep telling him that it is just for now. We need the help just for now, once it is all finished, then he will get his strength back or at least a portion of it. Thanks for your kind words! xoxo

    I like to think that we are all a lot more similar than we are different Maria! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ad earnest Marie, thank you so much for your lovely birthday wishes, and .....and Ma...thank you too. As Marie says I don't do a blog now.my days are usually so repetitive that I was afraid that it was getting a bit to boring, it's only when I am on holiday I felt I was more entertain !!...
    Today started with lovely sunshine and Lyn arrived just after 8am. Bearing a balloon present and card ! She is such a dear my present was a book the 1st in the Chronicles of Narnia stories this one is called The Magicians Nephew....they were written as children's stories but more often than not read by adults.. I havnt read any of them although I have watched The Lion the Witch and the Wardrope often,,,some people think that that is the first book but the magicians nephew is the first I am so looking forward to reading it, it won't take long as it's quite big print...Lyn has the other 5 so I will at long last read them all..Funny to think I never read them as a youngster but news the times!!
    I'm glad you got the boiler serviced but what a palaver to have to take a cupboard down? Poor Todd it is so hard when we find we can't do things we used to do,easily...My bugbare. is that I can no longer bend down without great pain so poor Mary comes to the rescue but she isnalmost as bad as me as she hasn't got good balance but as she says she ain't in'pain !! Ah well I suppose that's what we are all here for ...to help one another and what could be nicer than helping someone, no matter how much or how little...I have a lot to do tonight so I better go saying night night. God Bless Marie and thank you again,xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad those fine young missionaries could help you out. I know they appreciated the opportunity to perform service. Hope the treatments are successful for your husband so that he can help up and get feeling better. I love gardens too, but have given up until we move to Utah. Arizona is just too hot for gardens. Have a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marie. You reminded me of a sad time too talking about Todd and the boiler. I remember when John was having his treatment (can't remember if it was chemo or radiotherapy) and I was doing my round one night delivering the ironing and he had come with me for a change of scenery. Unfortunately as I was parking the van I went on error something and immediately got a flat tyre. John was absolutely distraught as he could change tyres in his sleep. As luck would have it one of my customers came past and very kindly changed the tyre. Although John was extremely grateful he was still totally frustrated and annoyed with the situation. It was difficult to watch and still difficult to remember. But the truth of the matter is that illness or no illness we all seem to be able to do less and less as we get older. Lots of love xxx

    Happy birthday Sybil, hope you've had a lovely day! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I loved your thoughts on doing your garden; and. It made me want to feel the warmth of spring. I love your creativity and designs for a garden. I wish we had time to work on ours too. My husband is creative so at some point maybe we can do some of it. I am praying for you both and especially for Todd to get through his treatments and feel stronger.
    I love that you were with the Zone Leaders and let them help you also. They love doing service I know and I am sure they love the two of you a ton.
    Sending prayers, love and hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so very welcome Sybil! I have never read any of those books, although have seen the films. Perhaps I need to have a go at them. lately I have struggled to read much of anything. I seem to be so tired when I get into bed at night, but then sleep eludes me, but I still can't read as I keep nodding off. Put the book down and again sleep eludes me. I don't know what is up with that! You seem to have great group of friends around you that help you in a lot of ways. That's great. Love you! xoxo

    Lol Deb, you reminded me of a time when my friend Eliza and her husband Ed came to visit us from AZ and did so in February. I don't think they had ever felt so cold! ahhh, but it was so lovely to have them. xoxo

    Love and hugs Kate. Yes, we all seem to be able to do less and less as we get older. Sad but true. xoxo

    LeAnn! I think we have become a bit of a project for the Missionaries because the District leaders stopped by last night. We love having them in our home. It is such a blessing. Love, hugs and prayers right back. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!