Saturday 10 December 2016

Saturday this and that . . .

  photo a1497b5fa308c7932d650c8e6e29869d_zps7fb4d5ba.jpg

They say there s a possibility of a White Christmas this year.  If it actually happens that would be pretty unsual for this part of the country . . . snow for Christmas.  A part of me fills with glee at the thought, but another part of me hopes that they are wrong, but that is only because it is so hard here to get around when it snows.   Snow effectively trims your sails . . . quite a bit in the UK.  In fact . . .  it practically paralyses the country.

I can remember being very excited about snow when I was a child, especially the first snow of the year.  This big fluffy flakes falling down from the pewter sky like goosedown feathers  . . . as if the angels were having a pillow fight and the feathers were a flying . . .

I can remember trying to catch them on my tongue . . . I thought snow had a special taste

 photo 55aa6067549ecb92d1a578d2ee278b23_zpsc0295c05.jpg

I know it has a smell . . . like leaden skys, crisp and clean . . . like cool mountain streams, fresh and pure.  You know when it's in the air.  There's a certain silence that foretells it's coming.  It is unmistakable and indescribable at the same time.

But it makes you want to dance.  And twirl.   And swirl.  It comes with special feelings and longings . . .and joys.

  photo 0f5e8e464b5d04955fcb9f353a18d3b8_zpsfd9c83cd.jpg

It falls silently . . . it is water like the rain is water, but it has no sound.  There is no trickle, no beating against the window panes, no splatter of wet hitting pavement . . . just magical silence.  You stand at the window and watch it fall, at first just a few flakes and then . . . more and more and more and more . . . faster and faster, it speeds up until the ground which once held colour abeit it drab colour . . . begins to turn white, as it starts to lay.

You count the layers as they add up upon the roof of the car and the fence posts and the table on the terrace. You think of the birds, all huddled up in the hedge, their feathers puffed and fluffed, shivering to keep warm . . . while you stand at the window all toasty watching magic fall from the sky.

And so . . . you scramble through the kitchen cupboards to find something special for them . . . cookie crumbs, bits of bacon . . . suet . . . cracker crumbs . . .

 photo 56faac98cf2b84ed1da937200ecf5e0e_zpsaf48bd18.jpg

You stand in the silence . . . your feet marking the unspoilt as you crumble the crumbs on the garden floor . . . a brave robin being the only one brave enough to appear in your presence . . .  his little feet hopping here and there, creating little etchings in the snow.  You are in a magical world it seems, and you can't help but stand for just a few moments more just enjoying it . . . face tilted to the sky, whilst cold wet feathers brush your cheeks and dance upon your lashes . . .

Your very breath dances in the air with little huffs and puffs . . . white and frosty . . . you hear the boiler kick in and a burst of cloud blows from the pipe in the wall, and all around the horizon the chimney pots puff and puff and puff, doing a dance of their own . . .

 photo e56dcabd323d0249f2a9a54ed551ba7d_zps636b8e8a.jpg

It's not so bad after all . . . you think.  There is a special beauty in this magical interlude you think . . .  as you stamp your feet on the cocoa mat by the back door while you make your way back inside the house.  You can hear the kettle boiling and the warmth of the kitchen settles down on your shoulders where down begins to melt as if it had never been there.  One last glance out the door before you shut it, as if to assure you that it wasn't just a dream . . .

 (¯`•.•´¯) (¯`•.•´¯)☆__ ☆
*`•.¸(¯`•.•´¯)¸.•´
¤ ؛° ¤`•.¸.•´ ¤ ☆__☆***☆__☆...


"Winter came down to our home one night
Quietly pirouetting in on silvery-toed slippers of snow,
And we, we were children once again." 
~Bill Morgan, Jr.  



  

 I searched in vain this week to try to find a new tree skirt for under the Christmas Tree.  I know  . . . I should have just made one much earlier in the year, there are tons of lovely patterns about for doing just that, but I didn't.  I left it too late and woulda, shoulda, coulda but didn't.  I was in a shop and they had these lovely garlands on for £1.49 and I saw a lovely thick green sparkly one and the light bulb went off and voila!  Necessity being the mother of invention, I bought it, brought it home and wound it around the base of the tree.    Presto chango . . .  garland no more, but now a sparkly very pretty tree skirt.  The picture doesn't do it justice. 


I was feeling a bit blue yesterday.  It happens from time to time and then the postman popped a letter through our mail box and  . . . 

  

A lovely handpainted card and hand sewn ornament from my dear friend Monique.  I was just thrilled.   I had wanted to make myself one of these this year but never did.  However did she know?  God is good.  Thank YOU so much Monique!!!  God's timing is perfect and you were one of his angels and this sweet gift of yours came through my letter box at just the perfect time.  God's tender mercies are endless.  What a blessing to me on a day when I really needed one.


Oh, and I wasn't going to show you this because I didn't want to seem like I was bragging, but look at what I did Thursday afternoon.  I wanted to do a Birthday Present for someone and money being a bit on the scarce side I came up with this.  It is safe to show you because she doesn't read my blog.  I was soooooo pleased with how this came out.  I love it.  I look at it and I can't understand why  . . .  well, no matter.  If it brings a smile to my friends face that is a very good thing.

 Ohh, and I baked some shortbread cookies yesterday (look for the recipe soon) that taste every bit as good as the taste memory of my mothers shortbread cookies.

We also had a call from the Mission Home yesterday.  We will be driving to Manchester on Monday to be released from our Mission.  Mixed feelings.  I am so sad that it is finishing, but I also know the timing is right.

 photo SAM_8707_zpsb97d7d56.jpg

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Triple Chocolate Cookie Tart.  Oh boy  . . . naughty, naughty.

Have a brilliant Saturday.  Two weeks from tonight is Christmas Eve!  Isn't that amazing!  WOW!  The time is going to fast!  Don't forget on your travels today . . .


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!



9 comments:

  1. No darling I don't want Christmas to be that close. I never seem ready for it. Ever.

    We are sailing home so i will have some time to be ready. It also means 4 weeks and 4 days until I fly.

    God bless your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well written:)
    And the slippers and tail on your darling mouse..I bet you do smile when you look at it and rightly so..I must admit the last 3 things I have painted are quite pitiful.
    I am touched that you like what came in the mail..I did have a feeling you would not have time to stitch it..you have so much going on with your dear husband..the end of missionary work etc..
    It is humbling to send stitchery to the queen of stitchery..as I like to say..it's like sending a macaron I made to Ladurée.
    I personally love the tree skirt and would not shop for another.:)Creative you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be here and over before we know it Suzan! It always surprises me each year how fast it comes and goes. We put so much thought into it and it is over in a flash. Can't wait for our meeting in January! Love you! xoxo

    Thanks Monique! I am sure that nothing you have ever painted is pitiful. I think we are always our own worst critics. Your ornament made me cry with joy. It really did. You are so very thoughtful my friend. Love you to pieces. And I am sure Luduree would be lucky to get even a crumb from one of your baked goodies! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had just a little bit of snow here but it is getting very cold. We could have more tomorrow. It's pretty to look at after seeing nothing but grey days, but I can do without it. We've lots of crazy drivers out there when the roads get slick they forget they have to slow down. So nice of your friend to send a little Christmas your way just when you needed it. Hope you have a super Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It had gotten really cold Pam, but has warmed up the last few days, but we are in for cold weather again before Christmas they say. It seems to swing back and forth so much these days. Nothing we can rely on except for rain maybe! Last year at this time they were suffering from bad flooding to the North of us, thankfully (fingers crossed) that hasn't happened this year! I have seen some of the crazy snow driving on You Tube! I do not miss driving in the snow I confess! Hope your Saturday is a beautiful one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful description of the snow. Ive only seen it falling a couple of times and I remember the silence. It was what struck me most , that soft falling of snow flakes.

    The Xmas tree skirt is an excellent idea. Your new tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful gift that was, I'm so pleSed that you have it and that it came just at the right time, yes God is good he always knows when we need him most.....also love that card you have made or is it going to be framed ? I know I would love to have it framed. I have not been very well all day today, in fact I was supposed to be at church tonight as its our annual Christmas Celebration that Michael and I organise it's just Carils intercepted with readings and stories, i was doing two readings but i had to up by six tonight and call off. Thankfully Val our neighbour who I had asked to do a reading was going up with us, so when I called her she said she would take Mary up with her. I hope that it's going well. I am just going to go to bed once the pills take effect....hope you have a great Sunday and that all goes well in Manchester on Monday xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Linda. I think they call it a "deafening silence!" Blessings and hugs! xoxo

    Thanks Sybil. It was really a surprise. I am sorry you are ot feeling well again. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you have a better day tomorrow. Love and hugs. xoxo
    PS - It is to be framed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!