Monday 26 December 2016

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  


Santa came and he brought Lego.  We got this little one of Santa's Visit, and then I got a Disney Frozen Castle with the princesses, and Todd got a tree house.   We thought we might have time to play with them all yesterday, but the day was actually rather busy so we did not!  I did get the Santa Visit one done though while we were watching tv.   It went together rather well, but boy, I think kids must have a lot of smarts to be able to do these things.  They are not easy!  What fun though!


Getting to go to church and partake of the Sacrament on Christmas Day.    It was a beautiful service and we both really enjoyed being there and having this extra special opportunity to remember the Saviour and all that he did, and to renew our Baptismal Covenants.  The talks were excellent.  The service was well attended.  The children were all pretty well behaved too, considering how excited they all were.  The Christmas Eve Carol service was really special also, with mince pies and hot chocolate for afters.  We are so grateful for our church family, especially on these special occasions.  Where neither of us have family close by, it is really nice to have a place we can go and people we can spend some time with rather than be totally on our own.

  

I got to facetime with two sons and five grandsons!  That was way special and I just loved it.  The connections were not great, and kept breaking up, but it was still a really special part of my day.  The boys are all so lovely.  I am really grateful for their dads and mums who took time out of their very busy days to spend a few minutes with me.  Greatest gift of all. 

Our Eileen sent us a quick Merry Christmas on facebook also, which was lovely.  So happy she took the time.  And I also got to talk to my brother, sister and mother.  So all in all I can not complain!



Bruce and Sara finally took their honeymoon.  They went to Cuba.  Looks like they are having a splendid time.  Not sure I would want to be away from family and friends for Christmas, but I am a dinosaur.  They left to come home and I think might have arrived late last night, so I expect that Christmas will be celebrated in their home today.  Boxing Day.


I didn't hear from them, but their mum posted this lovely photo of them on Christmas Eve on her FB page.  I am loving the matching pajamas and the reindeer hats and looks like they got something to cuddle in bed on Christmas Eve.  They look so happy and filled with wonder.  Seeing their faces made my heart sing, plus I could see the Santa Key I made them a few years back on the tree, so I know now that it was treasured by them.  Happy about that.  Merry and Bright. 



Gabrial (left) and Luke (right) at church with them mom on Christmas Eve.  Love these little glimpses into their lives.   Makes my heart smile.



Christmas Dinner courtesy of Marks and Sparks.  I will never do it the normal way again.  Everything was delicious and getting it all ready was a breeze.  I could enjoy church and facetiming and telephone calls without worry about dinner.  I had bought a turkey crown which I put into the slow cooker early Christmas morning (as per the one I did earlier this month as a test) and the rest was ready made.  I just microwaved/ovened it all.  It was fabulously tasty and so easy. Oh, I made gravy from scratch as well from the slow cooker juices.   Best Christmas dinner ever, and I am not ashamed to say that I owe it all to M&S.  Great stuffing, potatoes, little sausages with bacon, carrots and swede, red cabbage, sprouts . . . I forgot the parsnips, but hey ho, we didn't miss them!  Stuffed to the gils, minimum clean up and so grateful we live in a country where even living on a senior's pension we could do it up so fine.  Luvly jubbly.



The Grantchester Christmas Eve Special.  Just wonderful.  We both enjoyed it very much.  We actually watched it yesterday, but hey ho.  Enjoyed all the same and today we will watch the CTMW Christmas Special which we taped last night.  Not a whole lot of special programming, or at least not which we enjoy, over the hols, but what there is of it is fabulous.

Oh, and we had some surprise visitors yesterday afternoon of our SA friend Tina, Tony and their grandson Josh.  Delightful visit and thoroughly enjoyed.  We are so thankful for friendships, and friends who feel like family.   Lovely homemade pressies from Tatiana all the way from Greece.  She was feeling rather poorly with Gastroenteritis so her Christmas wasn't so merry, and we missed having her with us, but maybe next year.


And so that was Christmas in all of its glory.  So grateful for family and friends and especially for the Saviour whose birth is the whole reason for the season and whom I love very much.  I am so thankful that I can live in a country where worshipping Him and our Heavenly Father the way that I do is simple and easy and allowable.  So many in the world do not enjoy the religious freedom that I do. May I will never take it for granted.


A thought to carry with you through today . . .

⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰
“The time is coming when … 
it will be difficult to tell 
the face of a Saint 
from the face of an 
enemy to the people of God. 
Then … look out for the great sieve, 
for there will be a great sifting time, 
and many will fall.”
~Heber C Kimbell
⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰

Spiritual Enlightenment

 photo SAM_4576_zpse112485c.jpg

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Post Christmas Turkey Casserole.  Delish!

May the week ahead of you be filled with many small and wonderful things. Along the way don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


10 comments:

  1. Good morning my Darling Girl. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. The grandchildren must have been a real treat for you and I am so happy you have the chance to speak with them. The wonder of technology brings the world a little smaller. Your dinner sounds wonderful. I am surey ou didn't end up with gravy filled with apple sauce. I am not going to forget that taste for the longest time.

    Poor little Tatiana. It is never fun to have a tummy bug but on Christmas it must have been horrid. I hope she is better very soon. I ate lightly yesterday and I have been in the sick tummy club today.

    Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzan. It was all very, very good. I am counting my blessings. I would have loved to actually hear from the other two, but three out of five ain't bad! Sorry you have a ticky tummy today. Christmas seems to be a time for that sort of thing. Too much rich food perhaps. Hope you feel better soon. Love and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Christmas dinner without fuss and loads of dishes. I love would love that. glad you had such a joyful Christmas.

    Peace and happiness to you every day

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the best Linda. Literally the best. Lots of tastiness with little fuss. Peace and happiness right back atcha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie so pleased you had a good day. Hahaha! Marks and Spencer! What would we do without then, they've been doing my Christmas dinner for as long as I can remember!
    George is driving home from London today and we are going to his oldest sons tonight so we will catch up with all the Christmas specials during the week. Looking forward to Granchester and Call the Midwife.

    Have a good week and lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete

  6. I would be Cameron w/ socks..lol..

    happy you got your facetime time..it is a wonder and such a great thing.
    Glad you had Mark help with the meal..you certainly deserve it:)
    Marie we watced CTM special..so touching..
    we both cried..no surprise there..last night..just lucky Jacques asw it was on..but we didn't know about Grantchester..he must be even more handson Christmas Eve..
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Day after Christmas. Sounds like you have some wonderful memories of Christmas Day! One of my sons cooked Christmas dinner for me. It was wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Marks and Sparks Kate. I have never gotten anything bad from there. It's always stellar! Enjoy your time with family! O o

    We are going to watch the CTMW special tonight Monique. We had to record it. I did get a message from my youngest daughter today, so that was nice. I only didn't hear from one in the end, and he has been on his honeymoon, so I guess I can overlook that! You need to find Grantchester if you can. It's really good
    , o o

    How wonderful that your son cooked your dinne Pam! Sounds great! I would love that! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie - so glad you got to hear from your grandchildren on Christmas. We live far away from our grands too so had to share Christmas with them over the phone and on Skype. Glad to hear that your Christmas was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Deb! we are so blessed to live in an age where communication is so easy despite any distance between us! Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas also! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!