Thursday 15 December 2016

A Few of my Favourite things . . .

 

These are a few of my favourite things  . . .

 

My favourite book of all time is this one.  Emmeline by Judish Rossner.  The story was inspired by a story of a 19th-century girl made pregnant by her employer, a Massachusetts cotton mill owner.  Emmeline Mosher moves to the town of Lowell, Mass as a 13 year old as an effort to life her farm family back in Maine out of a life of poverty.  The story is a fictionalized account of the life of Emeline Bachelder Gurney who was a real person.  I cannot tell you the number of times I have read this book in my lifetime.  It is a compelling story, well told, that draws me back into its web again and again.




My all time favourite television show is The Andy Griffith Show.  This was really hard for me to pick because I was torn between this and Leave It To Beaver.  Both are pretty much on par in my heart for my favourite, but in the end this won out because of its wealth of wonderfully endearing characters not the least of which is the town of Mayberry itself, and the central core of faith, family, home, friendship, love and good values.



My all time favourite film is Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.  It was made in 1945 and stars Edward G Robinson and Margaret O'Brien as the two main characters of the film, playing a father and a daughter is a story which follows a year in the life of a Wisconsin farm family in the year prior to America going into the Second World War.  It is touching and endearing and very charming.   I cannot tell you how many times I have watched it.  I never tire of it.

Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes. 
~Song of Solomon 2:15



Diet Coke is my beverage of choice.  I drink one every day.  Other than that I drink water and the occasional cup of herbal tea.    I have read all of the writings on it.  They don't scare me.  Maybe they should, but they don't.



It is the catch word of 2016 and the way I have always tried to live my life.   It is a Danish word that refers to a mental state of coziness, conviviality and togetherness in the midst of Winter.

I live cosy.




If I had to pick an all time favourite meal, it would have to be this.   My mother's turkey dinners.  Nothing comes close.  Her way of cooking a turkey.  Her stuffing.   With mashed potatoes, mashed turnips, peas and carrots and her gravy.  The end.  I could eat this every day and always be happy about it.

 

It was hard for me to choose because I also love Pecan Pie and Chocolate Cake, but the good old fashioned Lemon Meringue Pie wins for me in the end as being my all time favourite dessert.  Served ice cold from the refrigerator and made with Jello Lemon Pie Filling.  Nothing can beat it in my list of favourite things.



Milk Chocolate Covered Almonds.  They cover two of my loves in one.  Milk Chocolate.  Toasted Almonds.  Together in one delicious indulgence.  I was my own best customer in the school fund raising sale of boxes of chocolate covered almonds.  I could never get enough.



Christmas.  It is my favourite holiday and season and celebration.  I love all of its traditions and customs.  I love the true meaning at its core, the story of the birth of the Saviour.  There is nothing about Christmas I don't like except maybe the commercialization of it.  But to me it is not a commercial thing.  It is all of the things I love rolled into one.  Faith. Family.  Friends.  Love.  Good food.  Lovely Music.  Values.  Giving and sharing.

 

Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Homemade.  The recipe off of the packet of chocolate chips.  On the day they are baked.  Stogged full of chocolate chips, pecans or walnuts and sticky raisins.  I could eat a dozen myself.  (which is why I only ever very rarely bake them.)

 

Puppies and kittens.  Kittens and puppies.   I love them both interchangably.   I especially love orange kittens and well, give me any puppy at all and I am in love.



Meet Dexter.  Ariana and Jose's new puppy.  Jose brought him over to meet us yesterday.  I am in love.  He made me all broody for a puppy again.  Must resist.

 photo Follow-the-sheme-with-instructions-on-how-to-dress-your-bed_zps2mveftgi.jpg

A properly made bed.

 photo c06c562d4587c2870392b3daeaa0c366_zpsviaezw7l.jpg

A good cardigan.

And those are some of my favourite things for this week. Do share some of yours!


A thought to carry with you through today . . .

⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰
Verily verily I say,
in as much as ye have done it
unto one of the  least of these
my brethren,
ye have done it unto me.
~Matthew 25:40
⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰

Spiritual Enlightenment



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  BBQ Pork with Roll Mop Sauce.  From Cooking Light.  This is delicious.

Have a great Thursday. Stay safe and stay happy, don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


 And I do too!



12 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie, I managed to get in this morning, it's really funny most days when I try I get the day before S, then in the evening I manage to get today's !! You certainly had your thinking cap on this morning...I will have a go at a few of my fav. things...
    book....Little Women by L alcot the first..grown up...book I read ( with no pictures etc ) I must have read it dozens and dozens of times throughout the years ( the date on the book is 1955) TV that's harder maybe Emerdale as it used to be Emerdale Farm, Film...Sound of Music, Drink, milk natural goodness, I agree with Hygge, Meal, used to be nice rare steak chips and garden peas.( now really nothing takes my fancy I am never hungry) Pudding, my sisters lemon meranque, Sweets Celebrations, there are none in the box that I don't like....
    So there we are that's a few of my favs....hope you have a lovely peaceful day aheadmxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's what hygge means. We're a bit out of it here. I just found out what you means as well.

    My favourite food would be good old English/nz fish and chips. Crisp hot batter and tender fresh fish inside. Yum.

    Lemon meringue pie is a favourite though I haven't eaten that in years.

    Books, films, TV shows....I must think about that. I remember Andy Griffith. Those old shows were such great entertainment.

    Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon Meerenge is a favorite of mine too. This time of year is gets put on the back shelf though with all the Christmas goodies and there is definite no shortage of sweets here at my house! Have a happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom loved lemon meringue pie..I have not made one in yeras Marie..
    And I have never seen that movie..hope I can remedy that..
    I look forward to your posts..funny many I don't open..I can just llok at the pic..I always read yours.
    Have a lovely day~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Sybil, I wish I could say I don't get hungry! I am always always hungry! I do enjoy a good steak now and again, but if I had to choose a last meal it would be mom's turkey dinner. I have never watched Emmerdale. Corry is enough of an addiction for me! Ohhh, celebrations, I am a fan of the Malteasers! lol Shucks. I am a glutton! God bless! xoxo

    Oh, I do love a good feed of fish and chips as well Linda! But it has to be done properly and so often it is not! Thanks for your lovely comments! xoxo

    Pam, that is the problem with this time of year, far TOO many goodies around. And I have little or no willpower. Sigh. Hope your day is a good one also! xoxo

    Monique you would love it. It is just a sweet and gentle movie. Nothing bad in it at all. A bit corny for some perhaps, but right up my ally! I am flattered that you read my posts. I always read YOURs as well! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I am always hungry too.

    I wrote a reply and it disappeared into the ethernet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie I am always hungry too.

    I wrote a reply and it disappeared into the ethernet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was that way as a child also Suzan, but not overweight then. Its a pity that as an adult it couldn't be the same! haha xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really really loved your favorite things today. It made me want to think about what are some of my favorite things; I think i will. Puppies are adorable; but I don't like the training. We just love our sweet Sammy. Chocolate Chip cookies and Chocolate cake along with Chocolate Sundae's top my best dessert list. I like Dr. Pepper but gave it up a long time ago. I crave it once in a while.
    Thanks for sharing this one; I loved reading them all.
    Christmas is such a favorite of mine too.
    Love you much sweet friend and still hope we meet someday. Have a sweet Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really loved your favorite things today. It made me want to think about what are some of my favorite things; I think i will. Puppies are adorable; but I don't like the training. We just love our sweet Sammy. Chocolate Chip cookies and Chocolate cake along with Chocolate Sundae's top my best dessert list. I like Dr. Pepper but gave it up a long time ago. I crave it once in a while.
    Thanks for sharing this one; I loved reading them all.
    Christmas is such a favorite of mine too.
    Love you much sweet friend and still hope we meet someday. Have a sweet Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could never get into Dr Pepper for some reason LeAnn! I don't like flavoured sodas I don't think. But I do like coke! wierd! Love you too. I wish you the best Christmas ever! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!