Thursday 22 December 2016

Raindrops on Roses . . .


These are a few of my favourite things  . . .



Penguins.  Especially baby penguins.  I had no idea there were so many kinds in so many sizes.  Have you seen The March of the Penguins?  Amazing film about Emperor Penguins.  All instinctual, everything they do.  Amazing creatures.  British Gas uses a very cute little penguin in their advertisements.




We don't use British Gas, but I sure like their penguin!   His name is Wilbur by the way.



Speculaas, or Windmill Cookies as we have always called them.  I love, Love, LOVE them!

 photo SAM_2275_zps1bff3d29.jpg


I have made my own, but had to cut them out with  a star cutter because I don't have speculaas molds.  These were very VERY good.   You can find the recipe here. If anything they were better than the real deal and that is saying a lot.


Kleenex Tissues.   I have tried other kinds but I always come back to Kleenex.  The others just never measure up.  I hate rough tissues that are scratchy.  Kleenex tissues just feel better to me than any other kind.     

 

While I am at it  . . .  I like Andrex toilet tissue.  I have tried all sorts of pretenders.  But I don't like them.  It's Andrex classic white for me.  I don't like the quilted or anything else, just the plain white.  Simple.


And finally, I like these paper towels.  One sheet does the job of ten of another brand.  These are the best and their rolls are bigger.  I know they cost a bit more but one of these rolls lasts me as long as two or three of other cheaper kinds.  I like what I like.

 

Lego.  I love it.  I love playing with it.  It really is a new toy every day.  My kids had a HUGE box of the stuff that they played with all the time.  I have decided next year I am going to indulge myself in some lego.  Just because we are adults that doesn't mean we cannot enjoy playing with Lego.  In 2017 I am going to play with Lego.  I like doing puzzles and I like doing Lego.  A puzzle on paper with a pencil is fun, but Lego is like a 3D puzzle. 


 Baking Christmas Cookies.  In fact I am going to bake some today.  I think I will do my whipped shortbreads for one. 

 

The recipe comes from a very old Robin Hood Cookbook from the early 1960's.  You can't beat those old recipes.  These are so simple.  You just whip them up and drop them onto the baking sheet and bake.  You can decorate them with bits of cherry before baking or sanding sugar, etc.  They are always spectacular.  I am also going to make my date slices today, and the filling for my Tourtiere.  I am late getting it done this year.  No excuse, except that I have been uber busy.  I will do my Feather Squares on Saturday.  It would not be Christmas without them. 

I know  . . .  there are only two of us.  What will we do with it all.  People are always dropping in, so it's nice to have something to share.    SHARING, another one of my favourite things! 



Having the house all spic and span for Christmas.  Yesterday I did the house from top to bottom.  the bathroom has been scrubbed within an inch of its life, the beds have all been changed and the bedding all washed.  Everything has been dusted and hoovered and is in Bristol Fashion and ship shaped for the holidays.  Now all I have to do is to get my baking done and relax until Christmas Day.    I am going to do my turkey crown in the slow cooker.  I tested one earlier this month and was super pleased with the results and that is how I am doing my bird this year.  I went earlier this week and got all my veg in from M&S.  All is ready to go.  We are full steam ahead!

 

 I have been going to church on Christmas Eve ever since I was a little girl, and weather permitting this year will be no different.  I cannot wait for the Carol Service on Christmas Eve.  I love the songs, and the excitement of the children.  It is the closest I will get to being around children all hepped up for Christmas.  I love it!  There is always Mince Pies and Hot Chocolate for afters.   Everyone is in a good mood.  It just is one of my favourite church services.  I can remember when I was a child the Pastor would always give an update on the travels of Santa's Sleigh.  They used to do it on the telly also, showing a map of the world and just where his sleigh was throughout the evening on Christmas Eve.  It was such an exciting night.  Can't wait!

 And those are some of my favourite things for this week.  What are some of yours?


.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛* A thought to carry with you through today . . .


° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * 
   *.˛.° ˛°. .    We are like a snowflake, 
                        all different in our own beautiful way . . .*。*˚


Spiritual Enlightenment





Baking in The English Kitchen today, one of Todd's favourites.  Baked Almond and Custard Apple Dumplings.


Have a great Thursday. Stay safe and stay happy, don't forget . . .


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


9 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie. I have enjoyed reading about the different brands etc, We all have our favourites. My Christmas favourite really do not include the heavier things like fruit pies etc. We still have masses of the heavy stuff for mum. There are at least 18 fruit mince pies in the pantry. When i finally make one of my favourites I am in strife. It is just too hot here and I cannot eat the seafoods many have instead.

    God bless your day and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you cope with the warm temperatures you have to cope with at Christmas Suzan. I oouldn't do it. Like you I cannot eat seafood either. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house is far from spotless and I've yet to do any baking. Still there are plenty of sweet treats here. I've already eaten far too many. Hospitality at Christmas time is a must though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I always over-indulge at Christmas also Pam. Heck I am a flagrant over-indulger most of the time. I am so bad. You are right though Hospitality at Christmas is a given! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an energizer bunny..you know those windmill cookies? faves of my youth..w/ Peek Freans NICE and the ginger ones with sugar on top..the windmills are so thin and crisp..♥
    I used to love midnight mass..we don't attend anymore..nor church..we did all go the first year Lucas was born but then Max came staraight away and Noah then Oli..my kids are not into attending..and we don't go anymore..but I loved it..it was like a movie..w/ my mom..not since really except maybe when the girls were small and they sang..and were in the nativity:)
    I love SOFT toilet paper LOL..and soft kleenex but tough Scott towels.
    Going to see your recipe..happy baking Marie..you make your life so cozy with Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Windmill cottage biscuits..I had never heard of them before and guess what ? They were out for the coffee morning this morning needless to say I just had a couple very nice they were too...they were bought ones but very nice.....I'm glad you got your house cleaning done yesterday...Lyn was asking today if she could come along tomorrow and do a wee bit of a tidy up' especially hoovering, I always say if the carpet is clean the house looks clean..!!.....I am of shortly to the last Advent series of meetings we have had with our new minister, it's been so interesting, brought out a lot of things we might not have thought about before, so I'm looking forward to tonight's last meeting, when we will be in Bethlenhem......last night we had a Blue Service this was led by our minister we didn't have many people attending but the 17 who were there I think appreciated the feeling of stillness and peace that they felt. It's a hard time for people who are feeling lonely or bereaved..must go have to be out in five minutes xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh Monique, Peek Freans biscuits. They are all nice. We don't have them here. But we have other ones which are also nice. I guess I just love cookies! I did Bake some ookies today, and mince pies and my tourtière, a very busy day. And tomorrow I am visiting friends to bring them tiny gifts. You are so kind dear friend. Ohh, I started sketching and lost myself in my craft room and it was dark before I knew it! Xoxo

    So,glad you got to taste windmill biscuits Sybil! Sounds you have had a busy week! I hope you and Mary have a lovely
    Christmas! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Windmill biscuits, I grew up with them in. Long time since I've seen them . Enjoy the carol service. If I lived in Athens I'd go to the Anglican carol's by candlelight. Maybe one year in the future x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Linda, I think there are probably shows on the television on Christmas Eve with Carols also. God bless! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!