Monday 26 July 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.     

 

Being able to attend church in person and partake of the sacrament.  I have missed this so much. What with Covid and not being able to attend church and then not having a worthy Priesthood holder in my home to bless and pass it, it was months and months without me being able to take it.  I am so happy to be able to be there at church renewing my covenants again. Such a special blessing for me. 
 
 

My church is not very far from my father's place and so I was able to stop by afterwards yesterday.  He was not watching Mass yesterday due to the Olympics so was happy to see me.  We did some family history work on his computer.  I got him onto Family Search. org and he was amazed at all the family history already on there.  He gave me some more information that I was able to bring home and type of legibly for him and for Cindy. 

I don't know why more people don't use Family Search. Its free and I can promise you nobody from the church will bother you, visit you etc.  It is one of the largest geneology data bases in the world and its all completely free of charge. You can link up to other family trees, etc. You never know what you will discover. 
 
 

Being able to make a pizza for my daughter and her husband at the weekend because she wasn't feeling well. I used a different crust recipe this time. The Bobby Flay Pizza Dough recipe. It was all because of Monique!  haha Its the recipe she uses and had recommended a long time ago.  I made it and it was lovely.  I think I have found my new go-to recipe for Pizza dough. I would give it 10 plus stars! 
 
 

Going to my sister's for a Roast Beef Dinner last night, complete with Yorkshire puddings. What a special blessing that is. I went early so we could have some time together just to talk, etc.  We are going to go up to Michaels later this week I think.  I might pick up some yarn to make some slippers.  I want to have a basket of slippers by the door for people to be able to use when they are here this winter. Because it is a slab home the floors are bound to be cold.  don't worry I will wash the slippers after every use, so nobody will have to be afraid of contamination from anyone else's foot germs. 

Anyways, spending time with family. Always an extra special blessing.  

Eileen was still not feeling very good yesterday. I hope she is feeling better today. She is supposed to be going grocery shopping with her dad.  She liked the pizza so much I sent over that yesterday she wanted to have the recipe for the crust.  She wants to make it for them herself!

 

My oldest son messaged me yesterday also.  This is a photo of a brisket that he had been slow cooking in his oven most of the day. He was getting ready to pop it onto his charcoal grill to finish it off and create a crust.

 

This was after, all crusted up.  I love that my children all love to cook and are good cooks.  That brisket looks amazing. I wish I had a fork to dive right in! I can only imagine how flavor filled and tender it was.  Sigh  . . . 

I haven't seen any brisket in the shops here yet. It is one of my favorite cuts for pot roasting, etc.

 

The Hostas are blooming in the garden at the moment.  Something is eating the leaves pretty much all up, not sure what that is.  Perhaps earwigs. Yuck. 
 
 

Lilies are also making a beautiful show.  Nice and red. I have never seen this color before, but I don't know a lot about gardening  really.  I am thinking I am going to have it all dug up and then put down gravel or wood chips and just have some large pots next year. I can't get down on my hands and knees to garden, but I can do pot gardening. 
 
 

My hanging geraniums have done very well.  I have two like this.  I just dead head and water every day.  Easy peasy.  
 


 
I was never the gardener, only the planner. Planning I could do, gardening not so much.  And that is called being honest with ones self.  

I have a lot to get done today.  I have cardboard to flatten for the garbage pick up tomorrow, a letter to write, house cleaning to do.  A busy day!

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°a negative mind 
will never give you
a positive life.•。★★ 。* 。 
 
 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Portuguese Honey Cake. This is a fabulous cake. Simple. Plain, but delicious.  You can taste honey, lemon, cinnamon.  All pretty wonderful.  Moist and delicious.  I think you're going to love this one.

I hope you have a wonderful week ahead of you, filled with lots of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

right where you are! 

And I do too!  
 



9 comments:

  1. Slugs love hosta, so could be them enjoying your plants. I do lots of container gardening, even grow veggies in tubs which are on raised plant tables my husband built. It is another hot day in Ontario with smoke from the fires making air quality bad. I do lots of family tree research too, will check out the site you mentioned, Happy Monday,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is slugs. They are a lot smaller here! I am used to slugs the size of a small mouse! Oh, I hope you get some relief from the fires and heat soon! xoxo

      Delete
  2. You brought back memories:) Jacques took over the Friday pizza night ..again..lol..so Bobby's out the window..He likes his..and hey..I do too:)If someone is cooking for me and I love it..I won't even question it.That was so nice of you.Bet they loved it.
    My mother-in-law always had Phentex slippers for us.
    That would be so nice by your door..:)
    Have a great day..pots sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you shared Jacques recipe? I will have to check! I love it when someone cooks for me also. Can't wait for my boys to come over. They are both great cooks. Ahhh Phentex, can you believe my sister and I made ourselves ponchos with phentex! Such scratchy yarn! xoxo

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful weekend you had with your family. Living close enough to be able to help out is a blessing and enjoying a dinner with family is a treat! Hope you enjoy your day and have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family is everything. I am so happy I had a family to return to Pam. Its been an extra special blessing for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a lot of lovely meals you had!! YUM! Thanks for info on the genealogy site...might get back at that one of these days myself. Hope your week is a good one!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth I think you would love family search.org. Its so easy to use and like I said, free and nobody will bother you. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie....I'm not gifted with the "gardening gene" either but love seeing beautiful gardens! About 12 yrs. ago a dear "gardening" friend of mine planted a small garden in my front yard. She planted 4 hostas along with some landscape boxwood bushes. Now, all these years later I have 10 hostas...I had no idea that they "produce babies" every spring...this year I found 3 new babies. I just love them! They require very little care and are so lovely! Your geranium hanging basket is looking fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!