Monday 5 July 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   

 
(source

I attended a support group via zoom run by my church for victims of and people with addictions, etc. I had gotten an e-mail about it earlier in the week and kept it, thought I might go, but then thought I probably wouldn't.  Then my friend Jacquie called me yesterday and said I should go and that she was going to log into it.  Right up until the minute it started I wasn't going to go. Then I thought Jacquie would be disappointed if I didn't and so I logged on, and she wasn't even there. But once I was, I couldn't very well leave. Well, I could have, but everyone there had seen me, you know  . . .  so I stayed. Not sure if I will go again. It was incredibly painful.  I think I was the person there with the absolute worst story, although I am sure they all felt their stories were pretty bad. No pain is fun when you are standing in the middle of it.  

I think Jacquie tricked me into attending  . . . I'm a bit annoyed about that.

 

This photo came up yesterday. Its me and Jon back in 2013.  I have that I hate having my photo taken smile on my face. This was when mom was still alive.  She was in the hospital after having had her heart attack and Doug visited me with the boys. 
 
 

Josh looked happy to see me.  

 

Whereas Jake just wanted to escape.  He was only about 3 years old here. 

I am so grateful for this son of mine who has always gone above and beyond to make sure I am a part of his family. 

 

It looks like they are enjoying their summer so far. Doug and Kayla always do lots of things with the boys.  They are great parents. That makes me happy. 
 
 


You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body 
 and knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! 
 Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. 
 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, 
 as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 
 You saw me before I was born. 
 Every day of my life was recorded in your book. 
 Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. 
 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. 
 They cannot be numbered! 
 I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!
 And when I wake up, you are still with me!
~Psalm 139:13-18 

This was in my e-mail this morning.  My daily devotional from Dayspring. The words of King David.   He was an adulterer and murderer, and a king. He still felt God's grace and love. If he knew these truths about God's love for him, despite all of his flaws, then so  can we. The grace of God covers us all. 
 
 

The Dog Days of Summer . . .  my sister and I were talking about this yesterday on the phone. Even though yesterday was quite cold and wet and rainy.  It has nothing at all to do with dogs. 

the dog days 
1. The period in the summer often thought to be hottest, usually considered to be July 3 to August 11. In ancient times, people associated the heat during this period with the concurrent rising of Sirius, nicknamed "the dog star." The phrase is a translation of the Latin dies caniculares, meaning "dog star days." As a kid, I loved lounging in the swimming pool during the dog days of summer. 

2. By extension, a period of lethargy, inactivity, or stagnation. We're in the dog days of our fiscal year, and unfortunately we'll just have to make up for it during the holiday season. 
 
So grateful to have a sister I can talk about things like this with.  Its her Birthday tomorrow!  I am already drying the bread for the stuffing.  So grateful to have someone to do these things for and with.   

 

A little downy woodpecker just hit my window. Thankfully he just sat on my railing for a minute and then flew off. I caught a glimpse of this hummingbird though at the weekend. Usually they are so fast you have a hard time catching them with the lens.  They are frequent feeders now. I love seeing them. There is also a red throated one that comes. 

Nature makes me smile.  It also makes me cry sometimes.  I suppose it is the same for everyone.


 
(source

This also made me smile. I love this.  Imagination. Its a wonderful thing. 


  

So is Lemonade.  Its been a long time since I have had homemade lemonade.  I can remember being with my sister at her in-laws cottage out at Leamington and her mother in law was making syrup to make lemonade. I had never heard of such a thing.  I have not had a sugar filled drink since I was in my late 20's.  I spent my whole adult life for the  most part cutting one thing after another out of my diet . . .  sugar in my coffee, tea, etc. mostly sugary drinks and still I am fat. Sometimes I wish I had just drank  the Lemonade.  Not drinking it has not made a difference. 


 
(source

Watermelon hearts, which reminds me. I saw the cutest video of a dog eating a slice of watermelon. It was sure enjoying it.  Remembering last summer when Mitzie had her wading pool and how much she enjoyed it.  How she enjoyed to jump and drink from the hose spray.  Remembering Mitzie  . . . at least I was blessed to have had a Mitzie in my life.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . .  

 .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. its the little things
that make life•。★★ 。* 。
wonderful •。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 

 

In The English Kitchen today  . . . White Chicken Chili for two . . . .  this was delicious!

Have a wonderful day! I hope your week ahead is filled with lots of small and wonderful things. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

right where you are! 

And I do too!  
 




18 comments:

  1. That photo of Josh:) So cute..Family is everything to me.
    Glad you're home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be home Monique. I think we are both alike regards family! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I do love lemonade in the summer, but you are right it's too much sugar, but a couple of slices in your water make it very refreshing too. Watermelon is a healthy treat in the summer. I could eat it every day when it's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, water with lemon slices is very refreshing Pam, as is water with cucumber in it! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Love that quote by Anne Dillard.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chili looks heavenly! I must try that recipe 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie~

    We are definitely in the, dog days of summer...hot, hot and hot! I don't get much done during this time, but to tell you the truth, I'd rather have the heat than the cold. I don't remember it ever being this hot when I was a kid.

    I love real, homemade lemonade. Like you, I have had "diet" everything for so long. But sometimes, I just drink the lemonade, or eat the cake or cookie, or whatever it is. Life is too short not to have the sweet things one in a while.

    I love the pictures of you and your grands! I had one little grand who always acted scared of me...especially when there was a camera around. I can't believe how much your little's have grown!

    Watermelon is such a wonderful summer treat! My old Cole Dog used to love it too...I miss him sooo much. I know you miss, Mitzie as well, but aren't we glad they were in our lives?!

    Have a great day, Marie! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very blessed to have pets and people in our lives that we can miss as much as we do Barb. We are lucky. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  6. Family photos are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Marie, I too am fat. You know, other skinny folks have NO IDEA how much we deprive ourselves...but we are ready for a famine too, I always say, cause I could probably live on water a good long while!! Were it not for those kind of genes in ancient kin, it may well be we would not have been here by this time in history too!! But we are often made to somehow feel "less than"...but cruel folks have many ways to make others feel "less than". I am sorry you felt tricked into attending that zoom class...you really should not feel you must do such things in future. It is your life. It is your grief. HOW you deal with it, is YOUR business alone. Take care of yourself!! So glad you have had such good contact with at least those grandkids and your son!! Good son!! As to King David, who was so close to GOD...we need to see that most of all, he was repentant. THAT is what GOD wants..HE made us...imperfect, all of us!! Some sins are more seen..but plenty are not too!! LOVE David's writings..I guess that form of poetry does speak to me!!
    Sending hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your thoughts on this Elizabeth. I think I could live for a month on my body fat, lol. Yes, I also love your thoughts on King David. He was repentant and his writings are some of my favourite verses in the bible. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  8. I'm sure Jacquie meant well but she shouldn't have led you to believe she would be there, too. Lovely to see pictures of you with your grandsons. Hopefully, you'll see them all soon. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently she forgot. I didn't attend the meeting last night. Its just not for me. My pain is very personal as you know Elaine, and I only want to share it with people I know who care for and love me. Like you! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy the Dog Days of Summer. I too used to love just being at the pool when I was younger and riding bikes and climbing trees. Now it's more like just lounging on the back deck. I do think it is a slow down time of year.
    I love that you are enjoying Sister moments. I envy that since didn't have a sister. Enjoy all the precious moments with her and Happy Birthday to her tomorrow.
    I loved the photos of you and your grandchildren. I'm sure you will be thrilled to see them sometime soon.
    I think it is so fun that you can enjoy nature so close around you.
    Blessings and hugs for you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings and hugs for you also LeAnn! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!