Monday 12 July 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.    

 
 
Fresh green beans. I think they are one of my favorite vegetables. Green, yellow . . .  I love them both. I am so grateful to live in a country with an abundance of good food to eat and for the ability to be able to get it and cook it for myself. I am blessed. 

 
(source

Your comments.  I got behind on them last week with a deadline to meet and so much going on. I have set out today to read them all again and answer them. I sometimes don't know what happens to my time. It disappears into the ether like sands through the hourglass. Your comments are one of my most favorite things and I do read each and every one. I have to, or they wouldn't get published!  Some days I am just slow at getting things done. I promise to do better! 

 

Getting to make sure my sister had a happy Birthday.  Its the best.  Family times.  The stuffing steamed, the mashed potatoes were a bit lumpy.  I couldn't get the balloons hung up. But the company was excellent.  And that smile on her face was such a wonderful reward.  Love my sis. 

 

My Wednesday date with Cindy and Dan at Jonnys Roadhouse. It was an adventure and I so enjoyed myself.  Its nice just to get out and about. I had not done much of that those last few years I was in the UK, and once we gave up the car, not at all.  I am so grateful that we were inspired to get rid of the car when we did.  That was one less thing to worry about when it came time for me to leave. God is good. 
 
 

Getting this done.  This was a huge undertaking for me. I didn't think I could do it all by myself, but I put my mind to it and even though it took me all day I got it done.  And I got it moved into place.  I haven't put anything on it yet, but I will get there.  Just getting it built and in place was a huge feat for me.  I am proud of myself for doing it. 
 
 

Shopping trips with Eileen in my own little car.  I had not really driven much in over 20 years.  I was really nervous earlier this year when I got my car and had to drive again.  But I did it, and I am so glad that I did. I an becoming more comfortable all the time with it. Getting to take Eileen on Friday to buy her some clothes was so much fun and something I had never thought I would be able to do again.  Meeting up with my sister in the mall and the three of us enjoying a drink and a little visit.  Grabbing lunch and taking it to my dad's.  All fun.  All blessings. All tender mercies I never thought I would be able to enjoy ever again. 

 

Surviving the storm, the power coming back on so that I could get my work done.  Saturday watermelon.  All good. 

 

It was too rainy on Friday to go, and Saturday got away from me, but yesterday my sister, Dan and I made it down to the cemetery and did some work on mom's grave.  Dan did all the laying and digging.  Cindy put in the flowers.  I popped the arrangement on top. We are going to put some perennials in the back. It was a beautiful day yesterday. Warm and sunny. The calm after the storm. 

 

It was so peaceful there. My sister and I spent some time visiting other graves.  Our grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother, etc. The stones need cleaning. 

 

Some have fallen over  . . .  I have always loved stone gardens.   

 

Such beautiful stones they had in years gone by.  Beautiful memorials to much beloved family members. I love to read them and to think about the people that inspired this kind of love and dedication.

 

A sister who invites me for supper and then, when I can't come because I have a deadline to meet, brings me over some of her delicious Lemony Lentil Tabbouleh.  

My cup over-runneth.  Just the tip of the iceberg of blessings that was my week last week  . . . 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

 .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°.Work hard in silence.
Let your success be the noise.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 


In The English Kitchen today.  Roast Cauliflower Cheese.  Its easy really and oh so tasty.

Have a wonderful day! I hope your week ahead is filled with lots of small and wonderful things. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

right where you are! 

And I do too!  
 



14 comments:

  1. How lovely to finally get to go with your sister to visit your mom’s grave. Bet you are looking forward to getting that cute little kitten. We have a wild cat that has adopted our garden and is now bringing her 3 little playful kittens to visit, and one if them is an adorable little ginger one. I think of you when I see it. I finally got a photo of it snacking n the food we put out. Have a delightful Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I will have to look for your photos! My sister had a wild cat drop a kitten in her garden last October. She rescued it and its now a house cat and such a lovely one as well! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are back on the road again and seem so much more active! I remember when you couldn't walk!Look at you..A sad psyche has a lot to do with what we feel like doing.Clearly you're in the vie en rose:)
    Lovely that you went to your mom's resting place and spruced it up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am walking a bit further these days for sure. Maybe with time it will get even better! Mom's resting place is looking good, but we have a bit of work yet to do. Yes, you are right our sad psyche does have a lot to do with what we feel like doing! xoxo

      Delete
  3. PS I'm making French Tabouleh today..far less chopping parsley lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful blessings you've been able to enjoy. It's good to count them up. It's a wonderful feeling. Hope your week ahead is a wonderful one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I try to count my blessings every day if I can! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Your mother's grave looks lovely. I find cemeteries to be calming and peaceful. Kudos to you for putting your bookshelf together. Sometimes it's amazing what we can accomplish when we want/need to. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I do love how calm and peaceful they are as well. Great places to sit and think. This one looks down over the valley so its a beautiful spot! Love and hugs to you and Larry! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hi Marie.....When you wrote about the power outage you had, it reminded me of something.I live in Illinois and throughout all the seasons we often have storms that cause power outages.I live alone also and a friend recommended I check these LED bulbs that work as a normal lightbulb when used during power outages..So I checked them out and bought 6 bulbs...They are fantastic! When power goes out, just replace regular bulbs with these and you have full light again.Anyway, here is their website: https://www.boundery.com/products/ebulb
    I'm not in any way connected with their company.I'm just one of their very satisfied customers and thought of you as someone else who might want to check them out. One more thing, so thrilled to hear you are planning to adopt a kitty!! Check out the Facebook Group "Cat Friends"...such a fun group and lots of good advice for caring for your fur baby. Cheers! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynney, I will be sure to check them out! I will check out the facebook group for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Aww thanks so much Becky! I was proud of myself too! I am blessed to live here I agree. My family goes back quite a ways here, right to the natives that were here before the French arrived! Plus I have Pilgrim ancestors as well, whose descendants came up here as loyalists after the American Revolution. My sister and I were saying the other day we think half the valley is related to each other! haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a lovely post. Your Birthday moment with your sister and then out to dinner with them both; is the best. I'm so happy you can get out a bit more.
    I think you did a beautiful job on the shelves. It looks perfect. I will love seeing what you put on it.
    I enjoyed reading about your moments with your dear daughter and Sister. What a treat this must be for you.
    Your mother's grave looks lovely. I really like that you can see your Grandmother and Great Grandmother's graves too. Roger and I visited a lot of ancestor graves during Covid and then I would look for their histories; it was such a fun things to do.
    Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!