Monday 19 July 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

  

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.    

 

After 18 months of not being able to attend church, I was finally able to go. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but it was a really big deal to me. I have gotten very comfortable in my armchair watching church for all these months. To actually move out of my comfort zone was a bit daunting and I didn't actually know until I got into my car that I would actually do it. I could have stayed home and watched it on YouTube.   

A part of the fear had to do with the fact that these are people I have not really seen in 20 years or so.  People who waved me off to a brand new life in a new country all those years ago.  I had to eat a bit of humble pie I guess. Its not easy to walk back into your old life, having failed at the new one. But I did it. 

Or course it was quite different. New faces I was unfamiliar with. Social distancing.  Masks.  I was asked to give the opening prayer so I did. 

I was so grateful to finally be able to partake of the sacrament. I have missed it all these long months.  Oh, I know Todd was blessing it and passing it for a great deal of that time, but as soon as I realized he wasn't worthy to be doing so I stopped taking it.  

It felt nice to be able to physically renew my covenants with the Lord after all these months.  I had always renewed them in my heart each week, but to be able to partake physically was such a blessing. I admit that tears came.  Silly to some I know, but not to me. 


We had rain most of the day yesterday, quite heavy at times.  I know we need the rain. Its quite peaceful to sit in a warm, dry house and listen to the rain falling.   I have always loved the sound of falling rain. 


The last few nights I've been able to say my prayers without sobbing my eye out. Lately my heart has felt so tender. I have so many things to pray about. My son's health. Estranged family members. Healing from hurt. etc. Many times the words won't come and I just sit there and cry.  I know He knows the words and feelings of my heart. It is nice to be able to say them out loud however. 
 
 

The window sill geranium my sister gave me is blooming.  And another bloom is getting ready to bloom on it as well. It makes me smile.  I love red geraniums on window sills. How blessed I am to have a sister who remembers that. 
 
 

The way the light shines through the kingfisher hanging in my window.  I love it. It has such pretty colors. It reminds me of the time I walked down the tow path by the river in Llangollen with my friend Jo in the UK and we saw the kingfishers in the trees across the river and watched them fishing. 

 

I've been re-reading Even This by Emily Belle Freeman, and new things are jumping out at me. Last night I was reading about the Servant in Dothan in 2nd Kings, and how he had been afraid they were doomed because the enemy had their village surrounded.  His master Elisha prayed that the servant's eyes might be opened so that his fears in the darkness might be allayed, and when he did the servant's eyes were opened and he saw the mountains around were covered with the Lord's horses and chariots of fire.  

"There in the dark place, the mountain burns with fire, and I see that it is true; we are surrounded by heaven's help. We have been all along.  Instead of rejoicing, I am filled with remorse. Why did I not see it?" 

And I find myself asking the same question.  Where is my blindness? (quote from Emily Belle Freeman)

And that makes me think. Do I build walls around me of mistrust? Does this hold me back from living the life I could be living?  Do I let my fears, my lack of trusting . . .  limit my ability to receive or perceive the abundance that surrounds me?  Can't I just let go and let  . . .  God? 

This year I have been learning just how to do that. One good thing which has come out of all of the badness which has happened, is that I was forced to give up control.  I had no control really. I had no option but to let go and let God . . .  and that is when the magic happened.  My  mountains were indeed burning with the Lord's horses and chariots of fire.  I have learned how to pluck the joy from out of the sorrow, and I take none of it for granted. 
 
 

How good it is to get an unexpected card or a letter in the post . . .  to know you are not forgotten.  I need to send out more too. Spread the joy.

Learning to do things myself.  Pay bills. Build bookcases. Pump gas. Tighten chair legs. Hang curtains. Cancel things.  If you have spent your whole life relying always on others to do these things, these are by no means small accomplishments. They are huge. 

I was brought up to think that I would always need a man to run my life, to make the big decisions, etc.  How invigorating it is to learn, finally . . .  at the age of almost 66, that that  is not true and never was.  I am finding my voice and learning how to use it.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°.People will forget what you said,
People will forget what you did,
But people will never forget
how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelou•。★★ 。* 。 



In The English Kitchen today . . .  Cowboy Casserole for Two. Its a simple thing really.

I hope your week ahead is filled with abundance, whatever kind of abundance you are in need of.  Be happy. Be safe. Be blessed and don't forget . . . 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

right where you are! 

And I do too!  
 


7 comments:

  1. Marie, Marie, Marie you did not fail at your new life. I'm so glad you went back to church and they welcomed you. Next week will be easier. Happy Monday. Love and Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge bravos for all your accomplishments.I am certain you are giving great hope to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Marie, twas not you who failed! You were used, that is all...and you have plenty of company among the family of humans. Tis so much of what is going on in this old world presently...but only for a time...the wicked will not always be sitting in places where they can wreck the lives of others. Glad you had a nice time with your old friends...hope in future that more such times will come to you.
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie~

    I'm so glad you were able to make it back to church! I know it was a hard thing to do...I've been there. I know you will be cherished and cared for, how can people not help but love you?!

    We really do have so much to be thankful for, so much Heavenly help that we can't see. You've come a long way, Marie and we are all so proud of you!

    Have a wonderful day, sweet friend! XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn’t fail at your new life, it failed you. Big difference. And in moments of sadness and grief ask yourself this question—. We’re you happier in your 3 marriages than you are now.? You are growing in independence and self confidence every day. You are moving forward to becoming a strong woman, even if it is a slow journey. Be proud of yourself,you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are stronger than you think, you can do hard things, you will be happier and make people happier, you have many gifts. Enjoy this new week. xo, V

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thrilled that you could finally be back at church. I pray you will find great friends there and even more peace. I really loved your thoughts on the Sacrament. So many times we take it for granted. I have been trying hard to not let that happen.
    I do understand tears with prayers. i often sob while praying thinking about the blessings that I have and also the things I need to overcome. I just want to change and be better.
    I think it is important for women to know how to handle financial things and know whta is going on in their temporal life. I'm happy my husband let's me do many things to help in this area. You are becoming a very independent person with all of this.
    Loved your testimony of church and the sacrament today.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!