Wednesday 9 February 2022

Wednesday This and That . . .

 

  

I adore Couscous.  There was a salad I used to buy from I think it was Waitrose, or maybe it was M&S in the UK which was made from couscous (Israeli) and roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries, baby rocket, etc. It was delicious and very popular.  If they had it I always bought two pots because it would always sell out quickly.

I was telling my sister about it yesterday when we were talking on the phone and we got to talking about the pronunciation of words.  Apparently I have been pronouncing couscous wrong all these years, lol.  I put my hand up!  It has a long o sound not a short.   I was saying it more like cuss cuss. haha I dread to think how many other words I have been mispronouncing!  The mind boggles!

Female Foodie did a post on how to pronounce 10 foodie words last week. You can find that here.  

One thing I have to say about it, she is pronouncing Worcestershire Sauce wrong. 


 


There is something about that word that North Americans find very difficult to pronounce.

One thing to note, shire on its own is pronounced "Shire", with a long i and the re being spoken, like I am from the "Shire."  But when it is included in a longer word it is pronounced sher with the sh and the er. The i is not long.  And Worcester is pronounced Wooster.  So Wooster sher  sauce.

I know, it doesn't make sense, but then wick is always pronounced ick with the w being silent.  We even do it here in Nova Scotia with the town of Berwick being pronounced Burr ick. 

Language is a very funny thing. 

Potayto Potahto. Tomayto Tomahto.   

 


And its snowing out there again this morning.  I think it is just a snow shower.  Its Winter so I guess we should expect it. I think most people are dead tired of the snow by now. We have had three huge storms in as many weekends.  Snow is only ever really pretty right after a fresh snowfall. The rest of the time it ends up looking dirty, especially the snow which is gathered at the sides of the road and plowed.  It rained all day yesterday and I can just see the tip of my bird feeder now, sort of. I think this snow on my front lawn is going to be there for a very long time before it all melts. 

Large fluffy down-like flakes are a lot easier on the eyes and the heart to watch then sharp pin-like driving points.

All this snow will put plenty of moisture into the ground at any rate!  Great for the gardens. Before we know it we will be complaining that its too hot.  Or at least I will. I would rather be a bit cold than hot.  At least when its cold you can cover yourself with a blanket, etc.  Its hard to get away from excessive heat. You can take everything you are wearing off and still be hot.  

Humidity is another matter.  I do not like high humidity.  I hate feeling like I am in a sauna. 

(source



February is the month of love.  Of Valentines.  I was facetiming with my Doug yesterday. He is on vacation this week and he had bought boxes of valentines for the boys to give out.  Of course with the older two (15 and 13) it is debatable if they will give them out or not. 

I am a romantic. I have always loved giving out Valentines, even if I no longer have anyone special to give them to.  I have always loved making them and sharing them. Perhaps I will start early next year and make one for each of the grandchildren. We will see.  Best laid plans and all that. 

I can remember when I was in grade school my mother would buy us these books of valentines and we would have to cut them all out.  There would be envelopes and stamps and everything to cut out and glue together.   We had that yellow glue. Lepages I think it was called. It tasted terrible and dried yellow too.  It is much easier these days with glue sticks. 




There were enough Valentines to give one to everyone in the class and a special one for the teacher as well.  A great deal of thought was put into what valentine would be given to what person.  At least that is the way it was for me, and I still do the same when I am buying a card for someone. I spend a lot of time picking out just the right ones for the right people. It has driven all my husbands crazy, this time I take into picking out the right card for people. I sound like Elizabeth Taylor, lol  If I was to write out all my names in a row it would stretch out quite a ways!!  I do wish it weren't so.  I had always believed in Happily Ever After.  




This is the only man in my life now (aside from family.)  He is so cute. He likes to sit next to me when I am watching the television and every so often he reaches out his paw to tap me, as if to say, I'm here, pet me please.  Its so cute.  Right now, Cinnamon is underneath the carpet, moving her way along the edge of it.  He is watching her, getting ready to pounce. My life is never boring if anything. I cannot complain. 

And with that I best close up and leave you with a thought for the day as it is getting late.  I know, I'm pretty boring these days. It is a wonder any of you still come around, but I am grateful that you do.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *We can complain because
rose bushes have thorns, 
or rejoice because 
thorn bushes have roses.
~Abraham Lincoln•。★★ 。* 。 

 


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Banana and Coconut Muffins.  Delicious!


Have a wonderful day. Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
     











8 comments:

  1. The salad looks delicious..Israeli couscous is my least fave..It's like pearl pasta..It is :) I searched and searched for it..yrs ago..
    I love the small one with roasted veggies and smoked paprika I could eat it by the bowlful..
    Your muffins are sky high gorgeous..
    Funny au jus

    the last one here is right
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pronunciation+of+au+jus&sxsrf=APq-WBtVJZ_F5Fyqw_jvFID2YQ9Anh60pQ%3A1644419094043&ei=FtgDYvuNApygptQP9ICwgA4&ved=0ahUKEwj78Ni_8vL1AhUckIkEHXQADOAQ4dUDCA4&oq=pronunciation+of+au+jus&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAxKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQAFgAYABoAHABeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQA&sclient=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_xNgDYuz9CPykptQPoaqyoAc20

    I cringe when I here Blahnk de Blahnk lol

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86FNwQf7E7A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Because my father is French and I took French in school I know how to properly pronounce French words. I cringe too! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Nothing boring, love hearing actors who think they are British or Irish and their accents, most have no idea. I'm a cockney and really laugh at those that pretend to be one Milder today at +2 or 3 Celsius, helps melt away a bit at a time, before the next lot arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I know what you mean Linda! ACtors can really destroy British accents, lol. Its quite laughable! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Aww thanks so much Becky! You are so kind! I appreciate it very much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could never be boring, I always love what you share. I'm sad because I haven't been in for a very long time. I'm really off base these days.
    I do love the photos you take of your beautiful fur babies. They ae adorable.
    I do love Valentines for the same reasons you do. What we did in our youth was so fun. Most of my children did the same things. They had valentines for everyone in their class. I don't think they do much of anything around here. It's seems those traditions have faded a way; it's sad!
    I have a hard time pronouncing many words due to not have phonics as a child. It has been difficult, especially as a nurse, pronouncing all the weird diagnoses.
    Your Banana and Coconut muffins look yummy; I will need to try this one.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!