Saturday 19 February 2022

All Things Nice . . .

 

Life, believe, is not a dream
So dark as sages say;
Oft a little morning rain
Foretells a pleasant day.
Sometimes there are clouds of gloom,
But these are transient all;
If the shower will make the roses bloom,
O why lament its fall?
Rapidly, merrily,
Life's sunny hours flit by,
Gratefully, cheerily
Enjoy them as they fly!
What though Death at times steps in,
And calls our Best away?
What though sorrow seems to win,
O'er hope, a heavy sway?
Yet Hope again elastic springs,
Unconquered, though she fell;
Still buoyant are her golden wings,
Still strong to bear us well.
Manfully, fearlessly,
The day of trial bear,
For gloriously, victoriously,
Can courage quell despair! 
~Charlotte Bronte, Life


 


It is one of my regrets that during the years I spent in the UK I did not ever get to visit the home of Charlotte Bronte.  Also Jane Austin.  I did get to see several of the homes that William Wordsworth lived in as well as the school he attended as a child and that was interesting. It was always on my bucket list, however, to see the daffodils on Lake Ullswater that he so poignantly wrote about.  Although I did see Ullswater, I never did see the daffodils. 

I must be grateful, however,  for the things I did see and for the experiences I did have.  Life is a funny thing and as Forest would say . . .  its like a box of chocolates. 




"Happy people ain't hatin', and hatin' people ain't happy." 


I've been thinking this week about this crazy world we are living in.  Earlier this week my sister posted a picture on her Facebook page which was more or less a thank you to all the truckers who are keeping the goods rolling, the wheels greased, etc. moving essential items across the country.  It did not take long for the haters to jump on board.  It got me to thinking about things.

I was brought up to respect other people and their opinions.  I didn't have to agree with them, of course, but I was taught that they had a right to them and I was to honor that right. It seems we are living in a world of people who feel that everybody has to agree with them, no matter what and if you don't, then you are in the wrong.  Right is only right so long as it aligns with their opinion, their wants, their needs, etc.

This is a selfish generation.  I am grateful for parents who taught me to respect others and their beliefs. Life is much happier that way.  My father always said that two wrongs do not make a right.

It costs nothing to be kind, an eternal truth.



 

I have been so blessed this week to be able to spend time with my family quite a bit. Wednesday night with dad and his friends, dinner at my sisters on Thursday and then last night we all went out together (dad's treat) to a local spot and had fish and chips. Well dad had Haddie Bits.  Cindy and I had fish and chips and Dan had a hot hamburger sandwich. The fish was very good I thought.  Nice and crisp and perfectly cooked.   My sister and I agreed that the chips could have been a bit crisper, but I only ever eat the ones around the edges anyways. They give you far too many.  The ones beneath the fish are always a bit soggy.  They lay the fish on top of the chips.  I think the heat of that hot fish creates too much moisture, but that's okay. I enjoyed it all anyways!

And the best part was being with family. 




I started to read this book this week.  It is a refreshing look at the age old story of Adam and Eve. 

"As the first who chose to cross the threshold into mortality, Eve is truly the personification of life."  

I had not thought of this before.  When Eve chose to partake of the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, she was the very first human being to come into mortality.  What a very brave step that was to take. Very courageous on her part.  In many religions she takes the 'blame' for tempting Adam and for ushering in the "fall" of mankind.  For being the first sinner.   But really, she opened the door to a life none of us could have experienced otherwise.  If all you ever know is joy then joy has no meaning.  There is no growth, no progression.

She wasn't weak, or misguided, or deluded.  She was brave and courageous.  A true heroine in every sense of the word.  The mother of all living.  






I have always loved being a homemaker. Take care of my home, making it warm and welcoming, a haven from the outside world, that has always been paramount and of the utmost importance to me.  I wonder sometimes if my home lacks personality now. If it is too sparse.  I have not filled it up, or at least I have tried not to . . .  to let it become cluttered.  When I go into my next door neighbor's house there is not an inch of space to move. The perils of having moved from a larger home into a much smaller space.  There has to be a balance between having too little and having too much.  Maybe I need some plants?  But then again, the cats would be problematic with plants.  I need to put my glass birds back up. I took them down before Christmas and have not put them back again. I am too afraid they will be broken but what joy are they bringing anyone if tucked inside a drawer? None.




I've been listening to Music and the Spoken Word on YouTube every morning, with the Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square. It is the worlds longest running radio program.  I find it just helps to drown out the noise of the world.  I don't like it when the house is too quiet and with there only being me in the house, it can be too quiet.   This uplifting, inspirational music really helps to set the tone for my day.  I love it.  Calm and quieting. 




Some mornings I go back to bed for half an hour or so for cuddle time. I know some people would not relish the idea of a cat in the bed. He doesn't really get into the bed, he just lays on top of me, stretches out his paw (as you can see here) and waits for me to stroke him while he purrs and purrs and purrs. I call it singing me a song.  He's a great singer!  He is getting to be one very big cat.





Cinnamon is much daintier.  Smaller.  She likes her cuddles also but is much more selective about them.  Whereas he is in your face, she picks and chooses.  She often comes to me and jumps up and then turns onto her back. She wants me to rub her belly. I happily oblige. She looks back and up at me with eyes as if to say thank you and I love you. Its very sweet.

They are both very sweet.  And with that I will leave you with a thought for today . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *Let me seek then the gift of silence,
where the sky is my prayer,
the birds are my prayer, the wind
in the trees is my prayer, 
for God is in all.
~Thomas Merton•。★★ 。* 。 




In the English Kitchen today, Rocky Road Brownie Bites. The recipe makes only four, perfectly fudgy and dense, chocolatey bites of brownie heaven! 

I hope your Saturday is filled with all things nice!  Be happy, safe, healthy and don't forget! 

‎═══════════ ღೋ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒgೋ ═══════════ ‎
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!  
 
    

9 comments:

  1. So happy to be with family too this week♥The best.My those brownie bites look like something the boys would love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the boys would gobble them up! I really hope that my boys will be able to come over from NB for March Break! That would be wonderful! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I too love being a home maker even though I now live by myself. I keep everything as comfortable and as cozy as I can. I'm all about comfort these days. Don't worry about not having too much in your home. I have way too much as I moved from a big house before living here. I think you are in the better place and you can add when you find something you love. Here I have no room to add anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true Pam. I do need a few bookcases, and I would like to eventually get another arm chair, but we will see what happens! Have a beautiful day! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wind warnings today, blowing the snow around and visibility is poor. Family times are special, had a nice chat with granddaughter on the phone this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. forgot to mention we lived by the town where Dorothy L Sayers was born, so have seen the plaque on that house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s so good to see those kittens and those brownies look amazing. I hope Cindy doesn’t let the negativity get to her. Have a lovely weekend and enjoy your family. xo,V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie~

    It seems like forever since I have even looked at my blog, let alone the blogs of those I adore, like you :0)

    I have loved delving into the Old Testament, and the story of, Adam and Eve is something I have wanted to study more. Eve was a remarkable woman, doing what she needed to do to further life, she knew what she needed to do. What a great example she is for everyone.

    Family is so important, I'm so glad you are having so many beautiful moments with them!

    Your kittens are getting so big! They are just gorgeous, and I know they are great company for you...I sometimes prefer pets over people ;0)

    I have been trying to get rid of things I don't use anymore or just simply don't need, and it's hard. I often think of how you had no choice in leaving things behind...it broke my heart. But things are just things, I'm finding that out. Again, you are such a good example for me, Marie XOXO

    Have a blessed Sabbath.

    Hugs and Love,

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have your family to spend time with. I am sure those moments were precious.
    The world is crazy and I agree that it is sad we can't voice an opinion without someone coming in and getting angry. I know the Apostles and Prophet keep talking about being kind and respective and willing to listen to one another.
    I do love Adam and Eve and the blessing of life because of them.
    Your kittens are just so adorable and I am so thrilled they bring you so much joy.
    Blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!