Monday 2 March 2015

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 photo smallandwonderfulthings_zps3028a6aa.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

In a week that was filled with burnt shoes, bashed in front gates and considerable personal loss, I am grateful that I was still able to find some things to cheer my heart . . .

 photo cover_zps6y1pu3cc.jpg

Not a great scan, but on Saturday this magazine popped through our letter box.   I thought to myself, what the heck . . .  I don't remember ordering this.  I'm not even gluten intolerant.  Todd's gonna do  a nut.  (We are having to really watch the pennies now.)  Anyways, yesterday I sat down to look through it and a note popped out from Nick and I remembered then that he had e-mailed me a couple of month ago to ask if I minded him publishing one of my recipes in the magazine.

 photo page_zpslzuwrgkr.jpg

And there it is  . . .  my Salmon, Broccoli and Potato Gratin.  Right on page 20 of the magazine, and not only that  . . .

 photo contents page_zpslfmlppli.jpg

They used my photograph on the Contents Page.

I had completely forgotten about it.
There was no financial recompense, just the promise of a free magazine when it was published.   Happy Days.  Does that make me published?  Mind you, I have recipes published in Our Favourite Recipes all the time, so I guess it's not that big a deal. This isn't a cheap little rag however.  This is a big and glossy!  I guess I can give myself a teeny little pat on the back.

 photo 42b6b58bad7c4da91c066c6bf4966216_zpsslldifng.jpg























A meal out shared with good friends on Saturday evening.   It wasn't at an expensive restaurant, and it wasn't particularly good, (those two for £10 deals rarely are) but the company was good and it was nice to see Todd laughing and enjoying himself.  Good friends . . .  they are often the balm of gilead.  We have known Audrey and Peter for years and years.  Peter was Todd's best man when we got married.  I have worked with Audrey in church callings and as a Visit Teaching partner off and on throughout the years.   We went to France on holiday with them once.   They are great friends.  I think a meal out with them was just the ticket.  

 photo 498c835c033e83fd5c83990ffd72734e_zpsmjxlphw4.jpg

Getting to go to church yesterday morning and recharge our Spiritual Batteries.  It was Fast and Testimony Sunday.  It always does my heart good to be able to hear the Testimonies of others.  It upbraids and strengthens my own.  It's also nice to be able to spend some time with like minded people.  It helps you to feel like you are not alone.

 photo ab744a8e9715177a2b9c417ff252d522_zps7sdnmxzp.jpg

My weekly call to my parents, and while I am at it, my daily calls to my Father in Heaven.   Very grateful for those . . .

 photo 10f71d41b21f37f5947d704cedf6ed16_zpsnvc6k9sr.jpg

No matter what happens.  We have each other.  And he still makes me weak at the knees . . .

 photo eb4e44dcd53a13e927c84673fe8bce01_zps4tz6efqg.jpg

A good night's sleep after a few not so good night's sleep.

 photo 225ad7817c7638713b57c036ae7beb12_zpswb6h2i8e.jpg

The love and support of caring friends, which includes each of YOU.   It means the world to me.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .


 ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
(¸.❀⁀⋱‿✿“

Keep your eyes open to your mercies.
The man who forgets to be thankful
has fallen asleep in life.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
 ❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥   


 photo DSCN0468_zpsswuu7aen.jpg 

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Deep Dish Pan Pizzas.

Happy Monday!  I hope your week gets off to a very good start!   May it be filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things!   Don't forget.

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


10 comments:

  1. Morning Marie...This is going to be a nice week I think I am going to be "BEA HAPPY" !!!
    wet start to morning but drying up now and some blue sky to be seen. I am pleased that you had a meal out with your friends...I agree that sometimes these cheaper meals are not very good but it is the company that makes everyone happy... As it is Monday it is Guild day when my pal Pam comes over from Bath she spends the day with us. I love Mondays... Have your new shoes come yet ? looking forward to seeing them sometime..Have a great day Marie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie I am so pleased for you. It sounds like your weekend was filled with some high spots. Your recipe was published and you had a wonderful meal with good friends. Dinner is late into the oven. It is a lasagne made from left over vegetables.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yes, Sybil, my new shoes came on Saturday and they fit PERFECTLY! I was so pleased. They are comfortable too. Easyb's. Not cheap but they last forever. I will make Mary's doll and then send them both together. I am so happy they will be going to new homes that will love them! xoxo Overcast here. Probably rain.

    Suzan, late or not, it sounds delicious! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased you have new shoes that fit perfectly.

    Is that a bread and butter pudding on the cover of the magazine? I use left over buns for bread puddings and they are our favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a bread pudding made using gluten free hot cross buns Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do deserve a pat on the back for a job well done. What a nice surprise for you. Glad you had a great weekend. Hope your Monday is off to a wonderful start too !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!

    Well deserved!!
    Glad the shoes fit..they must feel so good..
    It does sound like the weeknd was nice..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Pam! I hope that you are having a fab day also! xoxo

    Thanks Monique. They do feel very good! I was a bit worried as I wasn't quite sure what size to get as my old ones were so old the size had worn off, but I took a lucky guess and thank goodness I guessed it right! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie..I Googled Easy b..I was curious..I ahve a wide foot ..high arch..no Cinderella amd I.
    They are so cute..so many cute styles..:) Great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monique, when I worked at the Manor, I had developed Plantar Fasciaitis. I was in pain all the time, especially as I had to be on my feet for 8 to 1o hours a day. When I would get home from work I would almost be crawling because it hurt so much to be standing. Easyb shoes gave me back my life. I bought a pair of those and they pretty much cured my problem! So comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!