Thursday 12 March 2015

Five Things About Me


 

Those of you who have been reading me for a while will know what this photo is.   It's me having won my Turkey Award in 2012.  It was presented to me by Matthew Pinsent and Peter Schrivener.  I can't remember who the woman was.  It was an amazing evening to be sure.  You don't win a National Industry Award every day of the week!  I was honoured.   Yep, it's another five things about me post and the first thing is this . . .



In 1966, when I was eleven years old, I won the National Temperance Essay Contest.  It was presented at our Awards Assembly at the end of the school year.  I had no idea that I had won it so was very surprised when I was called to the front.  I doubt I even realized I had entered it.  I think the teachers put these things in for you.   In any case I won for my age group for Canada and my prize was a cheque for $25 and a book about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.  There was probably a certificate as well, but that has long since been lost.

I wish I had been better at keeping things.



I used to love watching the Micky Mouse Club when I was a girl.  It was on at lunch time and I would race home to see it.   I think they were probably reruns, but it didn't matter.  I just adored the show.   Annette was always my favourite Mouseketteer.   She was pretty.  She was smart.   She was talented.  She seemed to be very nice and very kind.  She was a good role model.  I think we were lucky, those of us who were growing up during that time period.   We had decent people to look up to.

 photo teen stars_0_0_zpsy75cmyiu.jpg

What a difference between then and today.   I feel sorry for the girls who are growing up today if this is what they have to look up to or to aspire to.   If they are truly lucky, they will have parents who are able to teach them that this is not who anyone wants to be or emulate.  I may be turning 60 this year and seen as an old fuddy duddy, but I am grateful that I grew up when I did.  I could probably break the internet with my butt too . . .  the difference is I wouldn't want to.   (Okay, so sitting on the computer doesn't count, lol)

 photo love-to-swim-heart-waves-logo_zpscz0ir8li.png

I grew up loving to swim.  I took swimming lessons from the age of five until I was about 13.  I was really quite good at it.   I used to spend every day in the summer at the local outdoor pool, and it wasn't just to oggle the life guards, although once I passed the age of 13, the male lifeguards were a huge part of why I was there.  Although I was never a fantastic swimmer, I was a decent swimmer.  I have not been swimming in years now.   I am sure it's been at least thirty nine or forty years.  I do have a swim suit, which I have never used.  My intention was to go to a water aerobics class.   Alas, I couldn't afford the class.  Nevermind . . . my intentions were good.

 photo boyintree_zps4h04u57q.png

I always loved climbing trees when I was a child.   I didn't seem to be afraid of much of anything when I was young.   I liked nothing better than being able to survey my world from the top of a tree.  Things have a completely different perspective from the top of a tree.  I doubt I could do it now.  First of all I am a LOT heavier and I doubt I could heave all this flesh up a tree, or that a branch could hold me . . .  secondly I have a sense of mortality now that I did not have then.  Getting old older does that to you!

 photo calamine_zpsvlhavh7m.jpg

I have had every childhood contagious disease going . . .  mumps, measles, chicken pox.  I had the mumps twice.  Once when I was in infant school and the second time when I was in high school, although the second time I had them it was a very mild case.   I can remember when I had the measles, my eyes were very sore and not being able to stand the lights being on in my bedroom.   I can also remember the itch of the chicken pox.  Good times.

And that's my five things about me for this week!  I hope I didn't bore you overly much!  Tell me something new about you!

 photo fbe3bd7f251c9f993fd342b94ea835a8_zps8f9xsqhs.jpg

Great news by the way, my eldest son had a very positive job interview yesterday.  It was for a company who had already offered him two jobs  previously. He couldn't take those as they were too far out of town and he needs a job where he lives really.  He can't afford to keep two households running.   So, hopefully he will get this one as it's right in his town.   Please pray for a positive outcome for him.  He and his little family so need this.  Thank you so much.  I will keep you posted!

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch,
a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment,
or the smallest act of caring . . . all of which have the 
potential to turn a life around.
~Leo Buscaglia
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

I'm cooking a three course Irish Meal in The English Kitchen today  . . .

 photo DSCN0918_zps4xb8pi8f.jpg 

Beginning with Balnamoon Skink

 photo DSCN08951_zpsnwwmynhc.jpg 

Continuing with a delicious Irish Hunter's Pie . . .

 photo DSCN0932_zpsmpktt3q8.jpg 

And finishing with a delicious Berry and Buttermilk Cobbler with an Irish Cream Custard.

Have a great Thursday! Don't forget.

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


9 comments:

  1. Sorry i didnt get commenting yesterday...something odd going on with computer..thought same was going to happen today but ... no here I am. I always love reading new things about you. Didn;t know you were a god swimmer. That is such a good thing to be able to do. Can Todd swim ? it would be so good for you both to go swimming they say that that is the best exercise you can take.. Yesterday I noticed the ladybird she is lovely...and now a butterfly next !! Oh Marie you are a temptress as well as all the other things you are LOL Oh to have a fortune i LOVE butterflies...Why are you cooking an Irish meal today ? anyone special comming for dinner ?..Although I knwo that anyone comming to you for a meal is in for a treat X Take care I am off to Drs' for a fasting blood test at 8.50am so no cuppa for me this morning...been a long morning LOL xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Marie,

    I love to read more and more about you. I like being on the water, in the water, I just love water.

    WE have had a set back today. It seems mum has the flu. Now in any circumstance this is not good. However, depending on pathology tests she may not be allowed on the ship! Now I wonder if will be allowed either.

    I pray your son gets a great job soon. Pip had a long group interview that lasted from 4 to 5 and it is 6pm here. I hope she gets some work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did miss your visit yesterday Sybil! Todd cannot swim and in fact hates being in the water. I did the Irish meal for Ocado, as it was a challenge they presented to me along with a £100 voucher to buy the ingredients. Win/win! I can imagine how good your cuppa will taste after the blood test! xoxo

    Thanks Suzan. I will pray that Pip gets the job also and that you WILL be allowed to get on the ship! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww dear! What lovely post Marie and I love to know more things about you:)))
    I love swim too!!!
    Did you know we have a pool here??
    Was the best when we coming to se this house years ago!!
    I swim almost all days in summer until autumn!
    Really pity the dear Todd dont like swim.
    But really the person more use the pool is me !!
    Love this post . Hugs and love!
    Still Im going to my mom house tuesday, thursday and sundays and there I dont have computer.
    Only if sometimes you dont see me lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is good news about the job for your son. I will continue my prayers for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember your award and that pic..but time has flown by.

    Geesh..
    I loved to swim also:) Same as you..community pool etc..I quit the swim team because of bullying..(I was a bit chubby)..Alas..I hope kids are kinder now..
    Love that middle pic of Miley..she is too darn elegant and pretty..
    Meow..What just into me?;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Gloria, what a good daughter you are to go to your mom's house as often as you do. I wish I could do that. There was a pool at the Manor when I worked there, an outdoor pool, which we were told we were welcome to use, but nobody ever did because we knew it was not a really sincere offer. xoxo

    Thanks Pam! I hope he hears soon! xoxo

    Monique, we are twins. I joined a swim team once, but quit because of bullying. I had hairy legs and my mom wouldn't let me shave them. Kids, they will pick on anything. SOmehow I don't think children are kinder today. I am sure it must be so much harder with social media like faceook and mobile phones. At least we could get away from it at home! Miley....shudder. I would be so ashamed were she my daughter. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom told me not to shave my legs too..everyone said it would grow back doubly..I have never been hairy..so that was ok..poor you..Oh the things we have lived through LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor us Monique! lol Actually we were very lucky to have mother's that cared! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!