Monday 28 September 2020

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

  

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard   

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.  

 


Being able to do church at home via online technology.  What a blessing that is. Although there is a service each Sunday at our chapel now, only a few families are invited to attend each week due to number restrictions. I think the way they have it figured out in our ward is that you will be invited to attend roughly every third month. Mind you as you are also not allowed to get a lift in someone else's car at the moment, we are still not able to go. I am very grateful for the blessing of modern technology that affords me (and others) the opportunity each week to attend via Zoom meetings. It is very much a modified service each week.  There are opening and closing prayers.  We listen to recorded music because we are not allowed to sing hymns. Everyone is wearing  a mask in the chapel. There are only two short talks and the meeting ends before the passing of the Sacrament online, affording people the opportunity to partake of the sacrament in their own homes where possible. It is not 100% ideal because nothing can make up for what we had before, but it is the best we can do for now, and we are blessed to have what we have. 
 
 
My friend Pat shared this on Facebook yesterday. It deeply resonated with me. Let it be known that when I die I would like this read at my funeral or memorial service if there is one. I think this is absolutely beautiful. 
 
 
 
My little companion.  She is always with me.  Right now she is laying on the carpet right next to my chair.  At night she sleeps on a pillow right next to my side of the bed and during the day if I am sitting on the sofa she will be laying next to me on it. If I am in the kitchen cooking, she will be in the doorway watching. This little sweetheart is everything to me. Best companion and friend anyone could ever want. 
 
 
 
 This is the key to a happy life.  Gratitude.  Focusing on what you have instead of what you don't have.  Finding joy in the now.  Every single day has a silver lining.  Dwell on that.  When you choose to be happy and live life seeking for the positive, life just gets better.   It is better to appreciate what we have already been given.  Why would anyone give us more if we can't find joy in what we already have? 
 
 
 
This next weekend coming up is the October semi-annual General Conference of our church.  I love LOVE conference.  We get to hear special talks from a variety of leaders (male and female) in the church.  I am excited each time to hear what they have to share with us.  I am always inspired to want to be, become, do a little better.  This is such a special time for us.   I can't wait to hear what they have to share with us this time!  Because of the pandemic it will pretty much be the same as it was in April last. It will not be in the conference centre. Members will not be in attendance.  But it will still be uplifting and soul enriching, inspiring.  
 
 
 
Getting to talk to my dad on the phone.  It is such a blessing to me and I hope to him as well. We really enjoy these times together.  I love my dad and I hate that I live so far away.  I am so grateful for the blessing of the telephone and being able to share these special conversations with each other. I am blessed for this opportunity. I have been blessed many times in my adult life to have my father close by and to live near him. He even lived with me and my family once for a short time. I have spent many years with him coming to my home for lunches and suppers. I am grateful for those moments. I hope and pray that I get to see him at least one more time before it is too late. 

 
 
Even though I am unable to attend church at the moment, I can still keep my sabbath day Holy. With a tiny bit of effort I can still make my home a refuge from the world. I can stand on Holy ground. I try to read and watch only things that are uplifting and faith building. I try to do family history if I can. Even though I am old and retired, and unable to attend church,  I can still mark my Sundays as being something special and unique from the rest of the week.  Days of rest and rejuvenation. 
 
 
 
I love that I have a comfortable prayer relationship with my Heavenly Father. Basically I have a constant prayer going through my mind at all times anyways, but also throughout the day I take the opportunity in special moments to commune with Him in a more personal way. Sometimes silent and unspoken, at other times out loud I am ever grateful for the knowledge that I am not ever truly alone in anything, in any experience, at any time. 
 
 

Grateful for family and friends, for each of you and your faithfulness in coming to read each day. I can feel the love. It means the world to me.
 
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down.
It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily.
It is accepting the weaknesses and shortcomings.
It is accepting people truly as they are.
~Thomas S Monson  •。★★ 。* 。

 
In the English Kitchen today, Ultimate Pizza Bagels. With two buttery cheesy garlic bread layers, two layers of sauce, two of finely chopped vegetables, two of creamy mozarella, one of pepperoni and the buttery Parmesan and herb topping, these truly deserve to be called the ultimate. 
 
Have a fabulous day, I hope your week is filled with lots of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 





8 comments:

  1. Yes, it's wonderful to have technology that enables us to participate in weekly church services. I've only been there once since our church opened back up. It's so different yet familar all the same. I stayed at home yesterday and watched via my computer. I'm very thankful for that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very different Pam. I wonder sometimes if things will ever be the same. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I think technology is so amazing and I love that we can have the Sacrament meeting in our home and attend church as assigned if we can. What a blessing it is to have the Sacrament. Yesterday, we did go to church for the first time since we are now an at home MTC for our Grandson and we thought he should go. It went well and everyone was way far apart, with masks and it was good. There wasn't ton there. We can meet every other week now. We will see how it goes because our cases are going up.
    I did enjoy the Meditations Before Kaddish. They were beautiful thoughts.
    Mitzie is so much like our Sammy in how he remains close all day. Sammy mainly is by my husband, but he likes me too.
    I do believe in having a positive attitude and feeling gratitude no matter what the circumstances there are miracles and blessings if we are looking for them.
    I like you can hardly wait for conference. We need it so bad right now. It is always uplifting.
    Yes, enjoy those precious moments on the phone with you Dad. I was always close with my Dad and I would love to hear his sweet voice again. At least, I do know I will someday.
    Since having to be home for the Sabbath day, I feel that my Sabbath's days have been even more precious.
    I do have a prayer in my heart and I pray a lot too.
    Thanks for this wonderful post; I really enjoyed every word.
    Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be wonderful having your grandson there LeAnn! Its a scary time for missionaries, but they are needed now more than ever! Love and hugs and blessings to you all! xoxo

      Delete
  3. You have a special bond with Mitzie. She is family. I'm so glad you keep in touch with your dad and Cindy. Family is family. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad also that you are able to visit your brother these days Elaine, although I know it is not as any of us wish it was. Love you to bits! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!