Thursday 24 September 2020

My Favourite Things . . .

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOOPpfEd5Zsq2tbOc2-UBk6Njak8VrG7e7evggWXGZ2mh-j53ekFS5_iJ7oLR7meELGbGOHT1tpJoMRH-WDForIBx-F86puBU5K_uuGKf1hWiGc5Jko8kG6S71gFooUD3ZEZNrNzAWfJI/s320/alfp_favorite_things.png 

 

 These are a few of my favourite things.  Maybe some of them are yours also!  A few of the things which catch my eye, inspire me, pluck at my heart strings, make me smile, intrigue me or that I just plain enjoy. I hope that they will do the same for you.  

 
Elderflower Cordial.  It was not something I had tasted before moving over here to the UK. Its very nice. You make it in the springtime from Elderflower blossoms. It is very easy to make. It is thick and syrupy and you mix it with water or sparkling water to make a beautiful cold drink that is lovely poured over ice cubes and served with a twist of lemon. When I worked at the Manor and there was a ladies luncheon I always had to greet the guests at the back door with a glass of ice cold Elderflower Cordial. 
 
(source
 
A spot just for writing, composing, etc. in otherwords a desk corner. This is unusual because someone has turned a piano into just such a place. 
 
(source
 
Get-togethers and celebrations. An opportunity to gather with friends and share good food, good conversation, good company. Right now . . .  it  feels like it will never happen again. I truly hope and pray that it will. 
 
 
When I was a little girl I really, really, really wanted a Dutch Doll.  A doll dressed in the traditional Dutch costume. My sister got a Dutch Costume for her Barbie doll once. Oh how I coveted it. Maybe one day  . . .

(Switzerland) 

Bay Windows that jut out. They look like little rooms attached to the sides of houses. These pagoda looking ones are just beautiful I think . . . 

 
Tea Parties with my friends. I think the last one I went to or had was when Lura and John were here a few years back.  John and Todd went out on a wander and we ladies had fun, fun, fun.  Oh I do so love a tea party with finger sandwiches and scones and little cakes and things.  The chatter of women, the companionship, the food, etc. They are such delightfully frivolous things! 
 
 
(source
 
The language of flowers.  At one time people associated flowers with great meaning and you could send clear messages to other people by the kinds of flowers you gifted them with. I keep telling myself I am going to buy myself a book on the language of flowers and then I forget to  . . . one day, maybe for Christmas. We will see. 
 
 
Powder boxes . . . if I had a big house, endless money and a maid to dust them all, I would have a powder box collection to admire and look at.  One thing I like about Pinterest is you can collect these things without it costing you anything or taking up any space. 
 
 
Elegance and beauty  . . . . 


 
Tiaras . . .  I have always wanted one, although God knows where I would wear it and it would look most out of place on my head anyways!  The thought of it makes me laugh actually.  But one can admire something they would never buy or contemplate buying for themselves.  Maybe in heaven. 
 
 
A floral decolatage  . . . 

 
The art and culture of Geisha.  It fascinates me  . . . 

 
Dance . . .  as a girl I always wanted dance lessons. Ballet, Tap, etc. my parents could not afford such luxuries. My mom had a Berlin School of Dance book which I used to practice with in secret.  heel-toe-step,  heel-toe-step.
 
As an adult I took Ballroom Dancing with my ex when we were younger. I so enjoyed those lessons.  We also did square dancing. My parents loved to dance. They went out dancing every weekend. 
 
 
Salt Water Taffy.  A complete no-no for me now now. 
 



Mia Potter in “Degas Dances” at the Frick. Photo by Lucas Chilczuk.

On April 18-20, 2013, the museum hosted “Degas Dances,” an evening inspired by Degas’s The Rehearsal in which four Paris Opéra dancers stretch their legs to the side while a violinist accompanies their efforts. Potter, a freshman at La Guardia High School of Music & Art, stands barefoot, in a leotard and raggedy tulle skirt, impersonating the stance of Degas’s sculpture of a young dancer.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to attend something like this?  


 
Red Gingham Table Cloths . . . 

 
Lace Edged Shelves . . . 

And those are my favourite things for this week  . . . 

A thought to carry with you . . . 
 
☾ ° ° * 。 
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
The moment you accept responsability
for everything in your life
is the moment you gain the power
to change anything in your life.
~Hal Elrod• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。 
 

 

In The English Kitchen today  . . . Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos for Two.  Easily multiplied to feed more, these delicious nachos make for a great mid-week supper and are a great way to use up leftovers.

Wishing for you a lovely Thursday filled with a few of your favourite things. Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!    









 






























 



8 comments:

  1. I found my tiara at Value Village (a thrift store) for $12. I've since given one to Paula and Marie and we wear them when we celebrate our birthdays. We celebrate Marie's on Tuesday. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can just see you all sitting there in your Tiaras! I am sure it is a very pretty sight! I have never been pretty I'm afraid. I don't think a tiara would help! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
    2. Marie, I think you look pretty with or without a tiara. You have a beautiful smile. I'll try and send a photo of the three of us. Hugs, Elaine

      Delete
    3. Aww thanks Elaine, you are so kind. I will love to see a photo of the three of you in your tiara! My dad, daughter and Eileen and I all have the same smile. It is said to light up a room. At least that is something! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful ideas and photos. I love the eat in kitchen with the big table. I always wanted one, but no I wound up with a small nook for the table. No dining room. I just have to make do with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. An eat in kitchen is the best. Our houses are so small here that is rarely an option. Have a great weekend! xxoxo

      Delete
  3. I do love a refreshing drink. Sometimes, lemon water is just perfect for me.
    I do pray we can have a real party again someday. I do think it will come. I'm thinking maybe the millennium. I'm sure we will have delightful moments together then. I do love that you had a tea party when Lura came.
    I have quite a few story book dolls that were collected through the years. This one is cute. I do think it is never to late to get one.
    Bay windows are beautiful. The language of flowers; what a thought to think about and look into.
    As a young girl, I too thought a Tiara would be fun. I loved ot have dress up moments then.
    Dancing is one thing I did get to do for a few years. I loved it and then my parents couldn't afford it any more. The funny thing is I am left handed and I was always on the wrong foot.
    I do love Red gingham table clothes and I do have one.
    Loved this favorite things! Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon water sounds nice LeAnn! Dancing is so much fun, although it has been many years since I have been able to do any or been anywhere that there is any dancing at all! I did so love to dance when I was a girl however., love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!