Monday 7 September 2020

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 
  
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard   

 
A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   
 

 
 
I am 65 years old and I have always had enough.  Enough to eat.  Enough to wear. Enough to keep me warm. Just enough.  I have had tough times, but I have had enough strength and determination and faith to endure them. I know I will have more, but I have learnt that without enough faith and determination you can get through just abou anything. My children and I were homeless once, but even then we had a place to go. Life has often been hard, but it has also been filled with an abundance of joy. 
 
 
 
I had and have a mother who loved and loves me.  She always did her best for me and my siblings. Always. Through her example she taught us how to move forward through whatever life throws at us. She taught us compassion and forgiveness for those who probably didn't deserve it.  She taught us how to love the unlovable and how to care for those less fortunate than ourselves. She taught us how to turn the other cheek and how to pray for those who despitefully use us. She was probably one of the strongest people I have ever had the priveledge of knowing.  I hope that I can always make her proud of me. 
 
   
 
 
For the sister that God gave me.  She has been my best friend for over 62 years.  I can tell her anything and I know she will listen. She has often been the voice of reason for me, even and especially when I cannot find my own voice of reason.  Because of her, I have never been lonely. Even when I had lost all of my friends and my home, family, etc. she was still there for me.  I am and will always be grateful for that.  I love her.  Always and forever. No matter what.  And I know she feels the same thing about me.   I hope and pray that I have done as much for her through the years and that she knows how special she is and always will be to me.  

 
 
I am grateful for parents who taught me the value and rewards of hard work and of a job well done. Admittedly I can sometimes be rather lazy, but when I do anything, I always put my best effort into it with dogged determination.   They taught me that half an effort is not enough.  That anything worth doing was worth putting in my best.  This lesson has stood me well throughout my whole life. 
 
 
  
 
Some how . . .  some way  . . .  I have always been able to find joy in the journey. Some small blessing. Some small spark. May it always be so. 
 

The ability and talent of being able to find joy in the simple things. In the simple acts of daily humdrum what we all must do to get through each day.  To feel contentment in the mundane and the every day and the humble.  To be able to whistle while I work, and to work while I whistle.


I am grateful for a father who taught me the value of the written word.  In fact he taught me to love words.  When we were children and wanted to know what something meant or how to spell something he would point us towards the dictionary.  He knew that we would probably remember these things better if we sought them out for ourselves. It would have been so easy for him to just tell us, but he wanted us to find our for ourselves. He was always reading a book, or two or three.  I get my love of reading from him.  Mom never read more than short articles, in the newspaper or magazines. Book reading was just not something she ever enjoyed, although she did love to read her bible. 


A mother who always tucked me in and gave me a goodnight kiss.  One of my earliest memories I have of my mother is of her tucking me into bed.  If I close my eyes I can still see her leaning over me, tucking in my bed clothes.   I can still feel that warm spot in my heart of feeling safe and of feeling loved beyond measure. I am so very grateful for that.  She cared enough to care. 

  

We are going into my most favourite season of the year.  Autumn.  I never tire of Autumn. Like Anne Shirley I am a girl who truly loves Octobers.  Tis the season of gathering in and making secure.  Of storing up for the cold months ahead. The leaves are getting ready to put on their greatest show for us.  


It is the season of abundance. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 
*
Logic will get you from A to B.
Imagination will take you everywhere.
~Albert Einstein •。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 



There is something quite simple in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Sweet & Salty Snack Mix.   

I hope you have a beautiful day.  Its Todd's birthday today.  I baked him a Victoria Sponge yesterday. Next to fruit cake it is his favourite cake and I have taken our Pork Chops to cook him for dinner. I do have to go out for a while this afternoon.  I told Ariana I would watch Grace for her.  She has a training session to do at the hospital for work and Jose will be at work.  I am happy to step in.  I will be wearing my mask, so no fears. It will be good to get out and go for a wee walk and to spend some time with Grace.  We have to grab these tiny pockets of joy when we find them.

Whatever you get up to today, don't forget . . . 

 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ
═══════════
   
 
And I do too!     
 




8 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to dear Todd— MUCH LOVE to him on his special day from us!! :) Very sweet post,,, and so sweet you get to watch Grace—what fun! Happ week to you all there! LOVE YOU LOTS!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. Love and hugs to you always. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to Mr.T:) And have fun with that doll:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not begin well. Because of the lockdown she has not seen enough of me and there was lots of screaming and carrying on when mama left, but she soon settled and we made friends and we did have fun. I felt so sorry for her. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Todd. Hope you've been having a lovely day. I'm sure Marie and Mitzie are making sure you celebrate in style. Convert your age to celsius and voila, you're only 27! Many happy returns! Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. Love and hugs to you and blessings too! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to Todd!! Hope he had a meal he enjoyed!! And good weather too!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, that is very kind of you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!