Monday 21 September 2020

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

  

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard   

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   

 
The freedom to worship or not worship as I please. I am grateful to live in a country where I have a choice in all things.  Whether I believe in God or not.  If I go to church on Sunday or not. Which church I go to on a Sunday.  To pray or not to pray, etc.  All these things are freedoms we enjoy and really do take for granted. There are many in the world who have no choice when it comes to this.  
 

 
The value and luxury of having had a free education for all of my growning up years from the age of 5 to the age of 18. This is that we very much take for granted in the West.  There are many in the world who do not have this special blessing and who would give anything to be able to go to school and to learn.  There are many children who have to work to help support their families. Whose childhood is stolen from them by poverty and need. I have been so blessed to have been born when and where I was. 


Having a roof over our head that is warm and comfortable and just ours. It is spacious and clean and safe and we don't have to share it with a bazillion other people. The roof doesn't leak when it rains and I have two doors I can lock to keep out the baddies, and electricity and running water.  A refrigerator to keep my food fresh and a stove to cook it on.  Indoor plumbing.  Oh boy am I blessed!  


Free Health Care.  I have been carried in the silver spoon of free health care for all of my life. I've never had to make the choice between having health care or feeding my family. I've always been able to see a Doctor whenever I needed to without worrying about how I was going to pay for it.  Free operations and now that I am over 60, free prescriptions.  

 

The blessing of Leisure Time. Many in this world work from dawn until dusk, 365 days of the year, all the days of their lives.  Their reward, a very meagre existance for them and for their families. There is no time in the day for even the simplest pleasures. A life of total drudgery.  What a blessing it is that so many of us have never lived a life like that.  That we had childhoods where we could run and play.  Adulthoods where we had the money and the freedom to be able to enjoy weekends and holidays with our families and friends. Time to enjoy hobbies and other leisure time activities.  
 
 
Friends and companions.  I have always had them. I have friends in my life that I have been friends with since I was a child at school.  Some of them going right back to when we were only five years old. When you are thinking of an airforce brat, that is a rare thing indeed! I have friends all over the world, some that I have spent real time with and known for many years, and others whom I have never met but with whom I have forged a special kinship.  They are all precious to me. 


The unconditional love of a pet.  I have had the luxury of having a pet to love and to love me back for almost all of my life. Cats and dogs mostly. These wonderful animals add a truly special dimension to your life and all have been really special to me in unique and priceless ways. I would never want to be without one. 

 
The gift of family. Two of the greatest gifts my parents ever gave me were my sister and my brother.  Because of that gift I have two people in this world who share a history with me that nobody else does. I have had their companionship, friendship and love for all of their lives. The three of us are close and get along very well with each other, which is an extra special blessing. Family is not a small thing, it is everything and very wonderful.  Having grown up in a family and having had a family of my own. Two really valuable  and extra special blessings in my life.   


 
A place to call Home Sweet Home. I am from a blessed generation.  I have never known real fear and have always been relatively safe. I have not lived in  War Zone. Not ever. I have never experienced an earth quake, or a Tsnuami, or  devastating weather.  I've always had the freedom to think and to do as I please within the confines of the laws of the countries I have lived in.  

 
I have always had enough.  Enough to eat, to wear, etc. I have never known true want or deprivation. I have lived my whole life with the luxury of choice. 
 
May I never take any of this for granted.
Never.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
Good things come to those who believe,
Better things come to those who are patient,
and the best things come to those
who never give up.
~Unknown  •。★★ 。* 。 
 

 
Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  English Muffin Breakfast Pizzas.  Quick, easy an incredibly delicious! 

Have a fabulous day, I hope your week is filled with lots of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!








 

 
















 

4 comments:

  1. It's always a good thing to give thanks for and be grateful for what we have. We do have so much to be thankful for. If nothing else I'm always thankful for each new day. Life is such a gift. not to to be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are also a woman who lives her life with great gratitude Pam! You are a wonderful example to us all. xoxo

      Delete
  2. So many wonderful things to be grateful for, Marie. Blessings too numerous to count. We are indeed lucky girls to have been raised in Canada 🇨🇦. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We truly are Elaine. Oh how I miss my homeland, well, except for the cold winters and the hot and muggy summers. Oh and the mosquitoes and black flies. Other than that, I wish I was still there! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!