Tuesday 15 March 2016

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .



FOR TODAY, March 15, 2016

Outside my window ...
The sun is already coming up and the sky is getting a bit lighter on the horizon. The days are noticeably lengthening now.  The pond was covered with frogs again yesterday.  I didn't see them, but Todd said it was pretty amazing.

I am thinking ...
My first Mother in Law, Lois, passed away yesterday at the age of 100.  My oldest son is understandably upset as she was his nan.  They just celebrated her 100th Birthday in February.  She had been a widow for 41 years which is a very long time to be on your own.  She was always very good to me.  As a newly married Bride she taught me a lot about cooking and then when I had my son she was very helpful with him also.  I had next to no experience with taking care of babies.  He was so special to her.  She was an expert cook, probably from being a farm wife for many years.  There wasn't anything that she couldn't make taste good, or can . . .  or put up.  She grew her own veg, fruit, flowers, etc.   She was a beautiful rug hooker and quilter, always making her own patterns.  She inspired me craft wise as well.  I learned an awful lot from her during the few years I was a member of her family.  May she rest in peace.

I am thankful for ...
All of the inspiration that Lois gave me and the lessons she taught me.  She was a special woman. 

In the kitchen ...

 photo DSCN5849_zps6rfjqzs6.jpg

 Chicken Crumble Pot Pie.   This was delicious.  (I made it last week.  Yesterday I simply roasted a chicken which we had with new potatoes (which I could eat peeled) and I cooked some vegetables for Todd.)

On my "To Cook" list ...

 

This Chicken Parmesan looks incredibly delicious.  From Chef Savvy.

 I am creating ...

  

My tea cosy so far.  I am almost done the one side and will probably start on the second side today.  I like the way it is turning out.  I want to do a hot water bottle cover next!




 From Dabbles and Babbles, a DIY Polymer Clay Crochet Hook Handle Tutorial.

 

This little bunny doll is just the cutest thing.   From The Ardent Sparrow.



Vintage Ticket Printables from Mulher Preciosa.

 

I could not find a source for this, but isn't it cute?   ADORABLE



Things to do with buttons.  From Lily Bean Paperie.

 I am reading ...
 

The Residence, Inside the Private World of The White House, by Kate Andersen Brower

A remarkable history with elements of both In the President’s Secret Service and The Butler, The Residence offers an intimate account of the service staff of the White House, from the Kennedys to the Obamas.

America’s First Families are unknowable in many ways. No one has insight into their true character like the people who serve their meals and make their beds every day. Full of stories and details by turns dramatic, humorous, and heartwarming, The Residence reveals daily life in the White House as it is really lived through the voices of the maids, butlers, cooks, florists, doormen, engineers, and others who tend to the needs of the President and First Family.

These dedicated professionals maintain the six-floor mansion’s 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, 28 fireplaces, three elevators, and eight staircases, and prepare everything from hors d’oeuvres for intimate gatherings to meals served at elaborate state dinners. Over the course of the day, they gather in the lower level’s basement kitchen to share stories, trade secrets, forge lifelong friendships, and sometimes even fall in love.

Combining incredible first-person anecdotes from extensive interviews with scores of White House staff members—many speaking for the first time—with archival research, Kate Andersen Brower tells their story. She reveals the intimacy between the First Family and the people who serve them, as well as tension that has shaken the staff over the decades. From the housekeeper and engineer who fell in love while serving President Reagan to Jackie Kennedy’s private moment of grief with a beloved staffer after her husband’s assassination to the tumultuous days surrounding President Nixon’s resignation and President Clinton’s impeachment battle, The Residence is full of surprising and moving details that illuminate day-to-day life at the White House.

If you are a fan of fly on the wall, biographical, historical types of books, then this is for you.

I am looking forward to  ...
Getting everything over with on Thursday and putting it all behind me.  NO pun intended.

I am learning ...
As much as I may think I know it all, I really don't know it all. lol  Being humble.  It's a good thing.

Dreaming about ...

 
Fabric covered buttons  . . .



Bread with butter and jam . . .

 

Old fashioned rocking chairs  . . .



Cat socks  . . .

 

Grey and white dishes . . .



Granny Grey Hair  . . . loving it.

A favourite quote for the day  ...

(¯`v´¯) `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸.
   •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
      ( ¸.❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..

Raise your words, not your voice.
It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder  . . . 
~Rumi

Makes me smile ...


Little mouse brooches  . . .

One of my favourite things ...

 

Beatles Music . . .    

A peek into my day ...
 

Whenever I see this I have to stop whatever I am doing and have a belly snuffle.  I simply cannot resist  . . . cheers the heart like nothing else on earth  . . .


And that's my daybook for this week!


  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆


✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░


Wherever you go and whatever you do, I hope there's a great day ahead of you! Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!!



7 comments:

  1. Marie darling I had forgotten, "The Diet". I have done it several times so I am thinking of you even more often.

    The white house book sounds very interesting.

    I am sad that one of nature's great ladies has left your life. She sounds like a wonderful and giving person. I hope she rests and is blessed.

    God bless you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marie! So sorry about Lois... NICE memories! :) Your verison of pot pie looks delicious--YUM! FUN to see your knitting--that's a very happy-colored tea cosy. LOVE the things do to with buttons. CUTE bunny doll too. Ah, the Beatles--LOVE 'em me do! ;) I'm slow to visit... sorry about that! Been doing a big spring clean in between it all, and getting ready for Easter. Will be glad for some time to slow down next week... LOL! Happy Days, my dear friend ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))


    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinned the chicken..love the bunny..hook perfect for you as I know you are a little hooker..no pun intended..like yours..so cute!
    Sorry about your ex MIL..you have mentioned her often..:)Always good...
    Last night I told Jacques I wanted my hair all grey and would let it grow out which will be long as my hair is LONG..I don't know if I have enough grey yet..so I told him not yet..but one day..:) Long and grey..I love..Shortt and grey..love it..that white grey:)
    love the Beatles..the brooch ..
    I love making fabric covered buttons..and it is fun making 3d stitching..we thing it is hard..nono:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Suzan! It's cruel! and very limiting. and BORING! Today I have had a bowl of cornflakes, two crumpets and an egg scrambled with some cottage cheese. I am wanting a salad, but that will have to wait. Tomorrow will be really hard. Total clear liquids until after the procedure and nothing at all after 7 am on Thursday. Sigh. It will be worth it if it ends up I am free from any danger. Your prayers are very much appreciated! Love you! xoxo

    Thanks Tracy! I need to be doing a Spring Clean here, but can't get my mind to concentrate on anything long enough to do it. Hoping for a breath of fresh air soon and freedom from defeating thought patterns. Love and hugs to you, TJ and Charlie! xoxo

    I am just waiting for my hair to get some length to it Monique. It's a bit long, but not as long as I want yet. I know it will cost to get this colour of hair and I want it to be worth it! I can't wait because I really love LOVE this colour. I have a lot of grey now, but it is still salt and pepper. That I don't like. Love ang hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Marie; I am so sorry to hear about your 1st Mother in law. It is amazing when they live to be 100. My Mother lived to be 90, her sister was 100 and there is one more sister that is living and she is 96. I love to hear when individuals live for so long. I learned so much from all three of these loved ones.
    This post was a fun one. You always fun items to look at. I love your handiwork; the colors area cheerful. The book you are reading sounds intriguing. I need to grow my gray out; but it seems like a lot of waiting and work.
    I like those pet moments too. You are such a favorite friend and I always love to read your daily posts when I can. You know I think you are an amazingly, talented and wonderful friend. Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks LeAnn! She was a pretty amazing lady and she managed to live in her own home right up to the end! I think you are pretty amazing too! I am in awe of all that you and Roger do. I think you are just the best missionaries. Love and hugs right back, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I am a day late again...couldn't get on yesterday and now I've not yet found Wednesday's ! Maybe you havnt got it on yet...I will check again later..it's really weird how I don't seem to be able to read your blog on the right day .......anyway sorry to read about your ex.MIL...she seems to have been a good lady and no doubt she will be missed by many grandchildren etc..do love the colours on the tea cosy....praying all goes well at hospital...will try again later to see if I can see your Wednesday blog !!!.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!