Saturday 19 March 2016

Saturday this and that . . .

 photo 8ac928810163af4e179d8cc91d281336_zpslque9w0v.jpg

 Well, what a whirlwind week I have had this past week.  Nothing spectacular mind, and not one I would really want to repeat again either . . .  but they do say that the best way to get through anything is to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it you are through it, and so that is just what I did.

And they (whoever they are) were right.  I got through it.



Last night I had the strangest dream.   I was on a journey . . .  flying through the air, sharing a swing seat with my ex Mother in Law, Elizabeth.  (She is still very much alive, it was the other one who passed this week.)  Elizabeth and I have always been very close so it was not really strange to me that we would be together, but it was a most unsual mode of transport.  I could actually feel the mist on our faces as we passed through the clouds . . .  and I saw very clearly the structures on the ground  . . .  I could see the rust on an old water tower . . .  its colour . . .  and the colour of the ground.  We were not afraid.  We were simply on a journey.  When I have vivid dreams like that I always wonder what they are about. Nothing bad I hope  . . .

 photo DSCN5882_zpsrqaeedlr.jpg

These are my "just because" flowers.  (Ignore the tat in the background.  I really need to put that stuff away.)  They were a nice surprise from my Todd this week.   He does love me, he really does.   I know they meant a lot to him too, because he is not one to spend money frivolously . . .  so I know I must be worth it to him.  The thought of that makes me smile.

We had such a lovely day yesterday.  We went in to town together.  It is usually just him.  He goes in on his own, and sits in a cafe, has a drink, reads his book.  He says a change of scenery is as good as a holiday and so yesterday . . .  I went on a holiday with him.  There was really an extra bounce in my step all day through yesterday.  I was out and on my way to the bus stop before you could say "Jack Rabbit."

Did you know that on the bus they now have a television screen where you can see not only ads, but also views of the bus.  I saw myself sitting next to Todd on it.  Probably this is a good thing, and will help to prevent any anti-social behavior.



It wasn't a really sunny day yesterday, but it wasn't raining either, so that was good.   I just loved being in town and with Todd.   The man was there doing his sand sculptures.  He was doing a lizard yesterday, which is an improvement from his usual dog, but basically looks  . . .  just like his usual dog, but with scales instead of fur.  "A+" for effort, however.

I always like to stop and look at the Disney Store window.  Yesterday it was filled with Disney Princess outfits and I was tempted  . . .  but I didn't . . . I resisted . . .  and then I went inside to look at the dolls.  I have wanted a "Anna" doll (Frozen) for years now, but . . .  so expensive.  Then I saw Micky and Minnie mouse pillows and they were on sale.  I said to Todd, wouldn't they be cute in the bedroom on our bed, and I was so very tempted to get them, but I didn't, because it would have been a very frivolous thing indeed, but they sure would have been cute.

 photo DSCN5919_zpsvpylyuts.jpg

I had some Birthday cards to buy and I wanted to get them in Paper Chase.  I love that shop.  I could spend ages in there looking around  . . .  and I did spend a while.  I love paper as you know, and I love cards.  It is my idea of a heaven shop.


 photo DSCN5920_zps7jigmxqq.jpg

Look at this card when you open it up!  It is Sister J's birthday on Monday so I picked this up for her.  She and her husband are going back to America in 3 1/2 weeks, having come to the end of their mission.  I will surely miss her when they leave.  She has been a good friend while she has been here.  They will both be missed very much by a lot of people and they've done such a wonderful job while they have been here, bringing two families back into activity.  That's not an easy feat, but they did it.

 photo DSCN5922_zpsp6hoarvd.jpg

I got this post card as well . . .  because it is just so terribly British.  You must say that in your head with a British accent . . .  "Terribly British Post Card" . . .  in Lord Grantham's voice or better yet Lady Mary's.  Do you get it?   I love, LOVE this post card.

How could I resist!

 

A hot chocolate and a slice of cake in the M&S cafe.  Yes please!  Actually I did not have the cake, but they have completely revamped the  cafe since I have been in it which was ages and ages ago.  I really like the M&S cafe's.  The last time we went into town we had a chocolate at BHS and it was like chocolate flavoured dishwater and cost a bomb.  I said to Todd . . .  did we really want chocolate flavoured dishwaster again and he said no and so we went to M&S.  I had things to get there anyways.  Oh, the chocolate was so tasty . . .  and their hot cross buns are on two packages for £2.50 in the Food Hall.  They have fabulous hot cross buns.  I know you can get hot cross buns all year round these days, but I only ever buy them at Easter because to me hot cross buns and Easter go together like peas and carrots doncha know!

 M&S Luxury fruited hot cross buns.  The best.

 

I had wanted a new nightdress since before Christmas and the M&S nightdresses were on sale.  (Actually there were all sorts of sales in the clothing departments) I managed to pick one up for only £7 down from £18 so that was a real bargain.  I love M&S night dresses.   I only ever buy theirs now.  They are always really good value for money and wash like rags.  And they are very well made.  I can't get in to pj's.  I prefer nightdresses for some reason.  I always take them off  before I get into bed anyways.  I just sleep in my underwear.  (Sorry mom!)  I don't like the way night clothes pull on your arms, or gets all twisted, etc. when you are sleeping.  it wakes me up.

I also wanted to cash in on their two can dine for £10 deal.  I love the food from M&S (Marks and Spencers).  It's always very good.  I don't think you can get better in ready meals, and their two can dine for £10 deals are always excellent with a great variety of mains, sides and desserts to choose from.  You can also either get a bottle of plonk or a bottle of juice.  I use wine for cooking so it's always worth it to me.


 photo DSCN5888_zpsrwivg6fb.jpg

 This is what I chose as our Main.   Gammon Shanks with Cranberry & Orange Sauce.  It looked really good.  We got them and some herbed new potatoes for a side, the wine and a Timperely Rhubarb and Custard Trifle (serves 4) for the dessert.  I also picked up a packet of mixed veg for on the side because, well . . .  you got to have your veg don't you!


 photo DSCN5890_zpsqosizydw.jpg

This is what they looked like out of the oven.  Doesn't that look delicious!  They did not disappoint!



 It was a fabulous meal altogether.  I couldn't finish what was on my plate.  I did eat all my veg like a good girl should, but I only ate half the gammon shanks and potatoes.   I didn't have any of the trifle at all, but Todd made a big dent in it. He loves trifle, and said it was very good . . .  but then M&S  . . .  you would expect it to be good.


 photo DSCN5887_zps7atchap5.jpg

 I also baked some cookies yesterday.   Lemon kisses . . .  and I had thought to do bunnies also, and sandwich them together with some lemon curd . . .  I cut all the bunnies out, forgetting that I would need to reverse some for the bottom halves . . .  so we just cut cut out bunnies, glazed and lightly decorated.  Yes . . .  that is my tea cosy all finito!


 photo DSCN5885_zps6b5olrgc.jpg

I decided not to put a pompom on top at all.  I like it just as it is.  Now for my next project.  Haven't made my mind up yet, but you'll be the first to know.



 photo DSCN5907_zpsbwuhbyol.jpg

She was my close companion through it all . . .  hoping I would drop a cookie or a gammon shank I think   . . . she's so funny.  And so diligent in her watchful caring.

And the two Chester Elders stopped by to see how I was.  I said to them as they came in the door . . .  "How did you know I had baked cookies!"  They both enjoyed them very much.  I do so love to have them in our home.  The Sister's called last night to see how I was doing also, so very thoughtful are these youngsters.  I do so  appreciate them.


 photo Lucy and Bax waiting for Bruce to come home_zps0vxjgrqc.jpg

Isn't this sweet?  Baxter and Lucy waiting for our Bruce to come home from the gym. Quite simply adorable.

Oh what would we do without our furry family members.   Life just would not be the same.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .


.. ✻´´¯`✻.. ✻´´¯`✻..
Happiness comes as
we learn to enjoy
every season.
~Ardith G Kapp 
 .. ✻´´¯`✻.. ✻´´¯`✻..

Spiritual Enlightenment

 photo DSCN5900_zpshuoj8mmu.jpg

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Lemon Kisses  . . .  the cookies the Elders enjoyed.


I hope there's a great Saturday ahead of you! Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!!



 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Marie. So glad your hospital ordeal is out of the way. Fingers crossed for your results but I'm sure they'll be fine. So lovely of all the youngsters to come and see how you are, they must really love you.....and your cookies of course! I bet you can't wait to go to Cornwall, you so deserve it. We're off to Devon in May so here's hoping for lots of sunshine! Sounds like you had a really good day in town yesterday. I too love Paperchase and M&S cafe, spicy iced fruit bun and a pot of tea for me! Funnily enough we were deciding between going to Chester or Southport yesterday with Ashley and Christian but Southport won as Ashley has been to Chester once before. We are taking them back home to London tomorrow and coming home on Tuesday. I will miss them both so much, but Christian particularly! He is adorable! Ashley is finding it hard to adapt to motherhood, I know she will really miss having the extra support round her. I feel really sorry for her as she has no one to help her out in London. We're really hoping her husband Pete will start to help more than he has up to now. Both of them don't know what's hit them!!! Hopefully catch up next week. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed hearing about your day. I do agree a day like that is like a little mini vacation day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There certainly IS a spring in your step..ahh the incredible lightness of being afer a most unpleasantly anticipated medical procedure..
    Tada..done!!!

    Beautiful flowers..love the way you solved the pompom problem;)
    So cute..I am a cardaholic..like making them..buying them etc..:)
    Have a beautiful weekend Marie.

    I wear pjs..:)ALWAYS.LOL..I have a few nightdresses..but they always end up bunched around my waist..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Marie,

    I am posting late tonight. Beth took me into the concert hall to listen to the Queensland Youth Orchestra. It was a lovely concert and for once they used the pipe organ. The orchestra had lots of bass instruments so literally my bones have vibrated tonight. It was an early birthday present. We rarely go out together so it was a treat.

    I loved your story of your day out with Todd and the flowers. It is great to be someone's treasure on earth. I loved the biscuit story and the hot chocolate story. I have had two this week. The first was a great disappointment. The second was so rich! I have had my fill for a while. Like you I prefer night dresses. I become frightfully tangled in pj's.

    Have a very blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so lucky to have had you to give them a good start Kate! I remember when I had my first baby. I didn't know anything about babies. My ex MIL (the one who passed this week at 100 yrs) was there to help me and I was so very grateful for every little scrap of help she gave. She was a blessing to me and I am sure you have been a blessing to Ashley and Christian also. Isn't it wierd that we will both be down in roughly the same area at the same time! Devon and Cornwall are so close! xoxo

    Thank you Pam! I think I may have outdid it a bit, as I am quite tied today, but Todd really enjoyed the day with me as much as I did with him. He was so very happy to have me with him instead of being on his own. I need to do it more often! xoxo

    Thanks Monique. The teapot lid handle fits just right in that spot! Now on to my next project! What to do, what to do . . . you are so right. The incredible lightness of having a bad experience behind you cannot be measured. It's a wonderful feeling. I love YOUR cards. You are so talented in your making of them. I love all that you do. You bless everyone's life yours touches! xoxo

    That does sound like a real treat Suzan! How wonderful! I don't like pj's or night dresses in bed. They pull on my arms and my legs. Just not comfy to me. I just like wearing my underwear. I Hope we never have a fire! Yikes! Love and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the flowers that Todd gave you Marie...he is such a love,....Mary said to tell you she loved your tea cosy loves the colours.......( I always read your blog out to her) ....I'm glad you enjoyed your wee jaunt into Chester, it is such a pretty town....Mary has just gone home, we were amazed when we saw how dark,it had become..then a look at the clock said 6.40. We thought it was 5.40 ! The days are getting longer but not quite as long as that LOL...hope your actually feeling much better xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that wired Monique, serendipitous! Xo

    Thanks Sybil! The days are getting longer quite definitely now! First day of Spring tomorrow! I hope I am actually feeling better too. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I.loved reading about your day out. The food look scrumptious.I too like a nightgown better than PJ's. I usually just sleep in my underwear for the same reason. I am so happy you had a good day; you deserved a day out. Sending love and hugs your way! Wished for blessings too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww thanks LeAnn! You can't beat M&S for great food! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!