Sunday 12 July 2015

The places I go . . . .


 photo f9e954454f3478c41091374614ba201f_zpsizddxxww.jpg

The Village Fete/Carnival was fabulous yesterday!  It was sunny for the most part with only the odd spit of rain and a bit of wind.  Our booth was situated between two cake booths.  The one on the left was selling cupcakes for charity and the one on the right was a professional cake baker.  She was selling cakes by the slice and they were selling out as fast as she could slice them up!

For those of you who don't know, a Village Fete is a bit like a county or city fair.   They are usually organized by the village council, held on the village green or school playing fields,  and have a variety of fun filled activities and exhibitors in attendance.   You might also see carnival rides at them.

Attractions seen at village fêtes include raffles, coconut shies, bat a rat stalls, white elephant stalls, cakes, and home produce such as jams and pickles. Entertainment may include Morris dancing, tug of war, fancy dress and pet show.  They provide great opportunities for charities to fund raise as well.


 photo bea8f7d564b041fe9771bb414e8c60d2_zpsacdyeneh.jpg

Games of chance are very popular and most charge a token price for the opportunity to throw a welly boot as far as you can or knock coconuts off of sticks for a prize.   We had several games of chance at our booth, all free of course.   There was one where you had to bounce coloured ping pong balls into cups of water, which was very popular . . .  a ring toss (also popular) . . .  balloon darts, which was so popular that we ran out of balloons and ended up using playing cards to shoot the darts at.   If someone managed to complete each of the challenges they got a bag of popcorn and the chance to dip their hands into a lucky dip and pull out a prize.

 photo 30c2620984525a5a86912d2ac35561b6_zps6iwjurtk.jpg

We also had someone painting faces at no charge and one of our members was dressed up as a Disney Princess (Snow White).   She looked just like her and you could have your photo taken with her.  To pick up the printed photo, all you have to do is come along to the Meet the Mormons Film Viewing at our chapel this evening.  No pressure, simply an opportunity to see our chapel and watch a fabulous film which shows some great examples of the types of people who belong to our church . . .  with refreshments also.  We had quite a few takers, but we also had quite a few people who took their own photos with their telephones.  haha   We hadn't thought of that!  Oh well, was all in fun!

Todd and I took three girls with us and they really enjoyed themselves.  We were both so exhausted last night that I made us spaghetti on toast for supper, and we were in bed by 8:30!   Is it just me or does tinned spaghetti have no flavour any more???



We were trying to explain Morris Dancing to Sister Johansen yesterday afternoon.   It's really hard to describe to someone who doesn't know what it is.   I found a pretty good video however which is quite explanatory and fun to watch!

I hope it never runs out of favor, as I think it's a fabulous British tradition that is quite unique and fun to watch.

 photo 0a77452a0b9085b52aec027ffc50a16f_zpsbdg84ulf.jpg

It's probably a great way to get some exercise! 

We are off to Wrexham Chapel today to attend our Sacrament Meetings etc. and to talk with the Ward Mission Leader and see how they are doing.  Todd and I got married in the Wrexham Chapel back in 2000.   We didn't have a chapel in Chester at the time.  I was looking at some photos of the day we got married not too long ago, and sadly the whole first row of the group photo are no longer with us, all of them having passed away.  There are actually very few members of the Chester Ward now that really come from Chester!   Most of our Ward members come from Wales, which is where our chapel is located.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . .


 ❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
If you have good thoughts,
they will shine out of your face
like sunbeams,
and you will always look lovely.
~Roald Dahl
 ❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

  photo DSCN2339_zpspysqr8vz.jpg 

Ohh, there is something very wicked in the English Kitchen today  . . .  Lemon and Chocolate Slices.   Dangerously tasty!

I hope you have a fabulous Sunday!  Stay safe and stay happy and don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


6 comments:

  1. I love small town fairs..!
    Enjoy today Marie..and that cake..wow!
    Marie did you ever get into Friday Night Lights?
    Watching on Neflix and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a good time with your fair. Your days are certainly busier than ever now. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't looked yet Monique! Thanks for the reminder! I'll bookmark it today and put it on my watch list! Thanks! xoxo

    Thanks Pam! I think our lives were getting pretty boring! You have a great Sunday also! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! AND can't think of anything better for you than spend time between two cake booths! I laughed when I read that one!!! I would have been in heaven with ya. Wish I could have been there. Sounds like such a nice time. Love ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you too Valerie! I wasn't the least bit tempted! NOT! haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your thoughts on the Village Fair and Carnival. We have fairs in a lot of the towns here in Utah. Usually associated with the 4th of July or 24th of July. They usually have a rodeo and Carnival rides.
    I like the idea of a small Village fair. There is a South Jordan one in June; but we don't usually get to go to it due to family events around the same time. I like the idea of the smaller type games too.
    I like it when you share English traditions.
    Thanks for this post; I enjoyed it. Sending blessings and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!