Thursday 9 July 2015

Five Things about Me . . .



 photo GrammyandGrandsonatplay-1.jpg

This is perhaps not the best photograph in the world, but it means the world to me.  This is my oldest grandson Gabriel.  He was approximately16 months old at the time and this was our first meeting in person, and of course I had to get down on the floor and play with him.  I enjoyed every minute of it.   Ham that I am.  (I wish I was still that skinny size.)  He is nine years now and according to my mom, who saw him just this past weekend, getting very tall.  I have seven grandchildren.   Six of them boys, one of them a granddaughter.   All have been born since I moved over here.   I have seen and spent time with all of them except for the last one.  He turned two in June.

And yes, you're right, it's another five things about me post!!  Can you stand it?






















 I get terrible motion sickness.   Seriously terrible.   I can't even sit on a swing.  I am usually okay if I get to sit in the front seat of the car, or if we are driving at night, but any other time or situation, watch out!  It makes travel very uncomfortable for me, and probably for the other's around me.  I either have to be doped up to the eye balls or I am throwing up, and it doesn't take very long for the throwing up part to begin.  This means I can't go on rides at amusement parks, read in the car, etc.  It's no fun for sure.   My ex once talked me into going on one of those teacup types of rides at a fair, and then when he got me on it, he had great glee in making it spin around.  It threw my equilibrium off so much that it was a few days before I could walk upright without feeling like I was going to fall over.  It's not a nice way to be or to feel.

 photo tumblr_mi9sgdDCTB1qiyrh5o1_500_zpsa40b199e.jpg

I love chives.   In sandwiches, salads, etc.  I just love their mild onion or garlic flavours.  I have never eaten a chive flower.   Do they taste like chives too?  I don't know.  I need to be braver and try one.  I do put them as a garnish on things, but have never actually eaten one. My father loves chives too.  He had a big cement planter outside our house (when I was a child) that he had a big bunch planted in.  He used to go out and pick a few to tuck into his bologna sandwiches.  (He loves bologna sandwiches, especially toasted ones with cheese.  But then again, that is a thing about him and not me.)

 photo 4e165933934ae4b596562957c848436d_zpsa76f441d.jpg

Like Anne of Green Gables . . .  I have always longed to be beautiful.   The type of woman who takes men's breath away at just the sight of me.  Oh, I have certain aspects of myself that I like, which get fewer and fewer the older I get, but I do think I have pretty eyes . . .  but I have never been beautiful, only ever passable.  And I have wanted to be beautiful.  Oh, I know all the "beauty is only skin deep" platitudes and the "beautiful inside" things . . .  and I agree with them, but just once in my lifetime . . .  I wanted to be considered beautiful on the outside too.  Call me shallow, but there it is.

 photo tumblr_mh6e5cq5P41r4u4mbo1_500_zpse404f31a.jpg

I love, Love, LOVE Broccoli!  It's one of my favourite vegetables.  I never tasted it until I was an adult.  It was just never readily available when I was growing up, and if it had been I fear it would have been cooked to death by a mom who cooked every vegetable to death.  (That was the way, just look at the cooking times for vegetables in old cookbooks.)  I think I first tasted it in Chinese Stiry Fry, probably Beef and Broccoli (my favourite to this day.)   I used to love eating it raw with dip, and probably still would except for the fact that I always end up with a severe tummy ache these days if I even attempt it.  I even get a tummy ache at times if it is only cooked crispy tender.   There seems to be a fine line that my stomach can tolerate.  My kids used to love it with melted Cheese Whiz poured over top.  (I did too.  Yum!)  I love it in soups, salads, gratins, etc.   I just love Broccoli.

Ant that's my five things about me for this week.  Nothing earth shattering here, but I hope some of it was interesting and maybe even something WE have in common! ☺

 photo copyright bon voyage_zps6pmluz0n.jpg

A Going Away card I painted for someone yesterday afternoon.  I hope she likes it.

 photo copyright ballerina bookmark_zps9k4q1kjo.jpg

A Bookmark I painted as a gift for someone else.   I hope she likes it too.

I do so love painting the little bookmarks and things.

We went out doing Missionary work yesterday morning.   Attempted three visits, but only one was home.   Brought a meal over to a young mum who is due to have a baby any day now.  She can put it in the freezer for when she comes out of the hospital and is overwhelmed.  This is her sixth child.  Then last night we were invited to dinner to some friends' who are thinking of going on a mission also.  It was delicious.  We had a nice time.  They are looking favourably on doing the same as us.   I am happy for them as I know they will love every minute of it.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

 ❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
 The cure for anything is salt water  . . . 
sweat, tears, the sea . . . 
~Isak Dinesen
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

  photo DSCN2225_zpsius9iave.jpg 

Cooking for Two in the English Kitchen today  . . .  a lovely Goats' Cheese and Spinach Frittata!  Deliciously simple!


Have a fabulous Thursday!  Don't forget this simple truth . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too.

10 comments:

  1. That's about the first time we are not going to be alike as two peas !!, I'm love t ravelling, no sickness for me! And I don't like broccoli very much at all, in any form,cooked or otherwise !! Pleased that you were able to help a young Mum with some ready made food, she is in for a treat when she tastes your cooking...have a lovely day, the sun is shining brightly. This morning xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun is shining brightly here too Sybil! But there is a chill in the air. I expect it will disappear as the day progresses though! Have a lovely day. sending love to you and Mary and Masy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie I have never been travel sick either. I can only sympathise. Pip, Beth and mum get sick and it looks horrible.

    I have been vain today and now have longer finger nails. Life feels rather strange at present. The lady was rough and has left several patches of raw, bleeding skin on my thumb and finger tips.

    Tomorrow I will be on a bus for 14 hours travelling the Great Ocean Road and seeing the Twelve Apostles. Since I had a stumble this afternoon I will like the quieter day.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Bon Voyage and ballerina..sure to bring smiles..!
    But most of all that first happy happy happy pic!

    Beautiful.. that can change in a heartbeat..then what?
    I think it is better to not be a beauty..to just be.
    Everyone has a beauty don't you find if they are nice?
    I see it:) I am sure you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do say that beauty is as beauty does and that picture of you with your grandchild is beautiful. Sound like some very busy days for you. Happy Thursday !

    ReplyDelete
  6. The artwork will be loved by the recipients. They are really cute! Love your 5 things...they make me chuckle at times, as I envision it. Maybe in the eyes of the world, we aren't "beauties". But I see things very differently. To me you are beautiful...inside and out! I love you Marie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that photo of you with your grandson. It captures your love for him and also your relationship with him, and not every photo does that. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is pretty horrible Suzan! The new nails sound nice, but not the rough handling! Ouch! Xoxo

    I think you are right Monique. Beauty is only skin deep after all. Xoxo

    Thanks Pam. Happy weekend! I am late getting to these. Xoxo

    Thanks Valerie! I think you are pretty beautiful and I love you too! Xoxo

    Oh thanks so much for saying that Val! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love learning new things about you. I think the picture with your grand baby on the floor playing; way cute. I am with you I always want to be a skinny size. Right now I am smaller than I have been in many years; I hope I stay that way. I love that you have 7 grandchildren; I know how you would love to be closer to them. Now that I have 5 in Australia; I can understand more. I only have one family fairly close and we don't even see them that often.
    I never did well on swings and sometimes a problem in the car if I sit in the back. I do know that feeling.
    My Dad used to love bread milk and onions; none of it is a favorite of mine. I haven't had a bologna sandwich in a very long time. We had it a lot when raising children. It was cheap for sandwiches.
    Ok, dear Marie, I think you are so lovely. I like to imagine that someday as a Heavenly perfected mother we will have to the dream come true of being beautiful.
    I didn't tast broccoli until and adult. In fact there were a few vegetables that I didn't enjoy until I became an adult.
    Love you creativity today. The little ballet girl is just adorable. You are just an amazing, fantastic and marvelous artist. I want your work recognized.
    Happy you are having fun thus far on your mission.
    Sending hugs and blessings your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have my work recognized too LeAnn, but I don't think it is in the cards for me. I should have started when I was a lot younger I think! I am loving our mission so far. It's blessing our lives in small and wonderful ways! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!