Thursday 23 July 2015

Five Things About Me . . .



 photo IdaMcnayrcropped.jpg

This is my two times Great Grandmother, Ida Maria McNayr Smith.   She was born in 1845 in Inglesville, Nova Scotia.  She had five daughters with her husband John A Smith, one of which was my Great Grandmother, Henrietta Elizabeth Smith Best.  Ida was one of eleven children born to Arod McNayr and Diadamy Whitman McNayr.  (Diadamy would be my three times Great Grandmother.)

I love doing geneology.   I have been able to trace several of my family lines quite far back, to the Plantagenets, Eleanor of Aquitane and beyond.   Willam the Conquereror was an ancestor as was Robert De Brus (also known as Robert the Bruce).    Geneology is fascinating.   It's wonderful discovering your roots and the stories in the history of your family.    These are special connections and all a part of who YOU are.

And that is number one in another Five Things About Me Post!

 photo 40800af892051b1d923fe45dfbc93010_zpsqejbyeij.jpg

I married far too young the first time I got married, and for all the wrong reasons.  I think my ex would agree totally with me on that, because he probably feels the same way.  My first husband was the second youngest child in his family, having three older siblings.  The first time I met his mother, I thought she was his grandmother.  The older children were a LOT older than he and his younger brother.   They lived on a farm, which was a huge departure from my own upbringing.   It was a lifestyle I had always wanted to be a part of, and had a huge appeal to this airforce brat.  I was 19 and in a hurry to leave home, but I had also not been taught how to be independant, and was raised to believe that (as a girl)  I was only to graduate from highschool, and get a token education/job until I found a husband who would then take care of me for the rest of my life.   My father in law was dying of Leukemia and I think there was a lot of pressure on us to get married more quickly rather than later.   (His younger brother got married a couple weeks before us and they are also divorced.)   His father made it home from Hospital for his brother's wedding but did not make it out to ours.  We spent our honeymoon with his father in Halifax at the VG hospital.  The best thing to come out of our union was my eldest son, Anthony.  There is a purpose in all things.  I love my son dearly.  He is and has always been a great blessing in my life.


 photo 597ca6c33a6ed1b9f14fe0cd396c40b8_zpshwxlwc4q.jpg

I have a "thing" for orange cats.   I love orange cats . . .  as well as Blue Point Siamese.  We had Siamese cats the whole time I was growing up, but they were Seal Points.   Then when I was raising my children we had Blue Points.   They were lovely.  My mom has had two orange cats these past thirty years or so.   I think orange cats are smarter than regular cats.   When I moved over here in 2000, Todd had two cats already.  They were not overly fond of me, and so Todd got me my very own kitten.  Dandy . . .  he was orange, and so cute.   We ended up having to give all of our cats away as we had a neighbor who complained to our landlord at the time that they were going into her garden all the time and distressing her.   I can totally understand her distress.   WE also used to have a cat that would come in our bedroom window (we were living in a first floor flat) in the summer months and sleep on the end of our bed.   It was kind of freaky.  My growing up cats and the cats during my  children's growing up years were always "indoor" cats.  It is hard to have an indoor cat here in the UK as the windows don't have screens.    Indoor cats live longer than outdoor cats, but I also believe that it's  not entirely fair to keep a cat indoors all the time.   Cats like being outdoors.

 photo hugs_for_you-1453.gif

I am a hugger.  Probably the first thing I would do upon meeting you would be to give you a big hug.   I love hugging and being hugged. I am also a patter.   As I hugged you I would also be patting your back.  I hug and I pat.  Together.  It's just who I am.


 photo d44329466e8bc44a7b089b8c5c30e432_zpsf7m86ptq.jpg

I love it when the sun is shining, but I don't like being out in the sunshine.    I prefer to enjoy it from indoors, or the shade.  It hurts my eyes to be out and about in it and I can't wear sunglasses. (They make me feel motion sick for some odd reason.  It's an eye/inner ear thing I guess.)  There is nothing more beautiful than a sun shiny and warm day . . .  but  I enjoy them from the shade.

And that is the final thing about me for today!  I always love hearing new things about you as well.   Care to share?

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .


❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
We make a living by what we get . . . 
we make a life by what we give.
~Winston Churchill
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

 photo DSCN2275_zpsjj1s3cz9.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Cheesy Garlic Bread.  Simple.


Have a fabulous day whatever you get up to!  Don't forget  . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!

Happy Day!


8 comments:

  1. I just love reading your five different things each week. I dont know how you can think them all up...that should read not make them up but remember them all !! I certainly cant think of hardly enything that people might not already know...well not that I can think of LOL...I really only like orange cats..or as I call them ginger cats !! Mary's amber is a beautiful Amber colour...hence his name Amber also has the amber eyes..as he is getting old now he is 15 his fur is a bit faded but he is still handsome...Hope that yesterday went well with you and you didnt find it to tiring...I am writing this on my laptop this morning as my I Pad is playing up...no idea what is up with it but cant seem to get an internet connection...I might have to take it in somwhere...thats the problem about buying something from Argos they dont seem to have anyone I can go to..and of course I bought it down in Torquay...but maybe if I take it in to PC world Curries they can help...finger crossed...My wheelchair is going in for a service this morning I hope he comes at 9 as promised as I should be up to get coffee morning things laid out etc...( usually at around 9.10am I go up to church ) HAve a nice day... weatherwise it is a bit dull and looks like rain down here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's turned to sunshine here now Sybil. I know what you mean about buying things at places that can't help you with learning how to use them or helping you to sort things out. Have you checked your settings on it? It may be something really simple. Hope your wheelchair person comes as planned so you can get on with your coffee morning preparations! There is nothing worse than having to wait for people that don't show up when they are supposed to! xoxo

    You have a wonderful day too Suzan! Is everything okay? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I could ever remember 5 things about me the way you do it. I must be a dull person. I love the sunshine but only when temps are moderate, when it heats up I prefer the shade too. Here our homes have window screens and I'm glad of it. It's seems I've been in more than out this summer. That garlic cheese bread looks wonderful. I'll be checking out your recipe. Hope you have a beautiful summer day there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had quite a life..

    I appreciate your sharing..:)

    No kitties for me..aaaaatchoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been quite pleasant here today Pam, which is good as Todd and I have been out and about visiting, etc. and we have more to do this evening! I think everyone has a story to share and I love hearing all of them. There is no such thing as a boring life! xoxo

    I am glad that I am not allergic to any animals Monique, but I feel for those who are. I know how difficult it must be at times! But your wee little pup that the boys have is cute. And the chickens. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheesy Garlic bread sounds so yummy; I might go make some.
    I always love learning more about you. Just last night I found the history of my great great grandparents and then did a blog post. It was a new story to me. It was so fun to find it.
    I enjoy reading about your history; you are such a fascinating woman.
    I love cats too and we had them all the time; but then I became allergic to them. I took shots for years and never did get over it. I was allergic to dogs too but the shots helped.
    I am like you I don't like being in the sun all that much and really never have.
    I hope someday to give you a great big hug when we meet.
    Sending hugs and love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE are more alike than I thought LeAnn! No surprise there! I'll have to pop on over to read your post on your great grandparents! I love these types of stories! Love and hugs to you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!