Saturday 1 March 2014

March winds do blow . . .


 photo March_zpsc034bb29.jpg
 March is a month that either storms in with crashing winds, or tiptoes in gently on the petals of crocus and Daffodil . . . one way or t'other, and it is said that if it does come crashing in, it will leave gently, and . . .  vice versa.

 photo 092998bb3b756d5f09f731c51d90c2ee_zpsf7d4a4d9.jpg

Which will it be? We have no real way of knowing for sure.  March is what . . . March is.   There is something very cleansing about the wind.  You cannot pin it down, and try as you may to chase it, there is no catching it.   It carries with it the scent of the dark North woods and the white breath of the polar ice caps, with just a hint and whisper of melting warmth as it passes secret hollows where springtime blossoms are already beginning to stir . . .


 photo e92d7329bb2abdeaa2612b69cf946aad_zpsd4a51c17.jpg

It's little I care what path I take
And where it leads it's little I care;
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go . . . and off somewhere . . .  
~Edna St Vincent Millay

March winds blow away the settled feelings of snug hearth and flickering candlelight, and I long to follow it's bluster to the world's end to see from whence it comes, with a sixpence in my pocket and a crust of bread and a wedge of  cheddar tied up in a hankerchief.  Taking to the road like a world traveller, stopping beneath leafy hedges to share my repast with fellow travellers and wayfarers.   The scent of blossoming hawthorne in the air accompanied by the song of nightingales singing and the silvery rattle of a tinker's pans as his cart jolts down the roadway . . .

 photo image_zpsd128168c.jpg

Oh 'tis the month of daffodils with pretty yellow heads bobbling along the waysides . . .  and gambolling lambs upon the hillsides . . .

Of purple crocus and greening limb . . .

The month when   Spring arrives and blows away the fading chill of Winter's gloom with it's fresh breath . . .  we are more than ready to greet her, and we do with open arms . . . it matters not if she arrives with a bluster or a tip of toe . . .  only that she comes . . .

I am more than ready to fall under her spell.

 photo MarynandCameronmarch2014_zps76aeff83.jpg

Speaking of spells . . . my daughter posted this picture of Maryn and wee Cameron yesterday.   Isn't it lovely.  I am blessed to catch these little glimpses into their lives and grateful for them.

Grandchildren are quite simply . . . just lovely.

We are off early to the Temple today so I must dash, but not before leaving you with a thought for today . . .

 (¯`✻´¯)
  .`*.¸.* 
ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ
 "I believe in the sun even 
if it isn't shining.
I believe in love even 

when I am alone.
I believe in God even 

when He is silent."
— Author Unknown 
 
 ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋღೋ  




In The English Kitchen today . . . Cheesecake in a Glass with Rhubarb Syrup.

Have a wonderful first day of March no matter what you get up to!  Be blessed!



8 comments:

  1. I really love weather lore and can well believe that people took them as gospel truth. You do wonder how much truth there is in these sayings - I find them fun anyway. I'd be happy if this cloud cover lifted in March. We've had overcast weather since November and I really miss the sun! Our first day of March is very docile, so I hope we don't end the month with storms.

    Other March sayings I like are "A dry March and a wet May? Fill barns and bays with corn and hay". and "As it rains in March so it rains in June". I'll be waiting to see if they are right as well.

    Your grandshildren are lovely - and guaranteed to brighten up the dreariest of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This first day of March is cold and drear here but I've a 4year old grandsons party to attend so that will certainly be cheering things up. Yes our grandchildren are wonderful and always bring some smiles for sure. Hope you have a super Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cold here.. and the children are munchable Marie..Happy Weekend to you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. The children are adorable.

    I love March. To me it generally means that soon the hot weather will be behind us for a few months and that I will feel more comfortable. Our March 1 was a gloriously hot and sunshiny day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I hadn't heard of any of those sayings. I, like you, love these old ditties which go along with the seasons. I do so hope your cloud cover lifts soon and more than makes up for your dull winter.

    Pam, I hope that you have had a lovely time at your grandson's birthday party! I hope that one day I will be nearer to mine so I can enjoy these things too!

    Monique, all grandchildren are munchable n'est ce pas?

    Suze, I cannot imagine the strength of the heat and the humidity you have to put up with where you live. I couldn't bear it myself. I am a lover of cool weather I am afraid. Cold and sunny suits me well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the past 48 hours, every time the wind picks up, or the sun comes out, Joe says "Oh! It's like a lion!" or "Oh! It's like a lamb now!" it's adorable. Considering that it's snowing at the moment, I'm going to call "in like a lion". Yesterday we were in t-shirts! Of course, Colorado spring being what it is, we'll be back in t-shirts by Monday! I wish I could experience a real English Spring... Perhaps, someday!! :)
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Joe is so cute April!! It definitely came in like a lamb here, so we have the lion to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I would love the sweetness of spring. I am visiting my daughter in Washington and it is snowing heavily today. My grandchildren are singing Christmas songs.
    I hope you had a wonderful day at the temple.
    the pictures of your grandchildren was just lovely, adorable and precious.
    Blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!