Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Simple Woman's Day book



FOR TODAY, June 7th, 2011...

Outside My Window...

It is dry with a clear sky. I do believe it will be sunny after the initial dullness of the morning passes. That seems to happen quite often. A beautiful day is a beautiful day.

I am thinking...
I woke myself up last night shouting, "It's not true. It's not true. It's not true." I had been dreaming of my youngest son and in my dream I was trying to explain something to him. He had his shirt pulled up over his face and would not listen to me or even look at me. I think that this problem that exists between us is breaking my heart. I can't go into it on here but it is a major mis-communication between us. But how can you fix something when the other person refuses to communicate with you. You can't. I just keep praying that it will someday become right again.

I am thankful for...
A loving husband, a sweet puppy, children that DO love me, my mom and dad, sister and brother, all my nieces and nephews and all of my friends. I am blessed.

From the kitchen...
There isn't a heck of a lot. I might bake something today. Todd does love his cakes and cookies.

I am wearing...
A Blue Nightie with pink flower sprigs all over it. I have had it for ages. I got it at M&S a long time ago. It's comfy and one of my favourites.

I am creating...
Still working on my Christmas Designs. I am also working on beginning a new project but I'm not ready to tell you what it is just yet. It involves all of my passions. (Just a teasing hint there!)

I am going...
I have meetings tomorrow night, and Mitzie has to go to the Vet for her monthly program visit. One Step Program on Friday morning. I am also going to be beginning teaching a friend of ours to read. I hope that it works out well. Reading is so important and is life changing. You are so limited if you cannot read. Other than that, our calendar is blissfully empty. Perhaps we might go to the Temple one day. That would be nice.

I am reading...




The Work and the Glory, Pillar of Light, by Gerald N Lund

Still reading and enjoying:
PILLAR OF LIGHT begins the saga of the Benjamin Steed family, who, in the fall of 1826, move from Vermont to Palmyra Township in upstate New York in search of better farmland. Almost immediately they meet a young man named Joseph Smith and are thrown into the maelstrom of controversy that swirls around him. Is he deluded farm boy or prophet of God? Does he commune with angels or consort with devils? The answers to those questions - intensely personal, bitterly divisive - will profoundly affect the lives of the Steeds and many others. From the frontiers of early America to the complexities of the last half of the twentieth century, THE WORK AND THE GLORY series chronicles the triumphs and tragedies of one family caught up in the events of the Restoration

There are nine books in the series and this is the third time I am reading them. I always really enjoy them. Gerald N Lund is a brilliant writer. If you are interested in history, and in particular the history of the LDS church, you would really enjoy these books. They are wonderfully written. I highly recommend!

But . . . I am ALSO reading:



A Course In Weight Loss, by Mirianne Williamson

It's early days yet, but I saw the book on Oprah's Favourite Things show. What can I say . . . I like Oprah and she has good taste in books.

Nobody can say it better than the author herself.



I know, my reading hasn't changed for several weeks now. They are big books!

I am hoping...
That each of you is having a blessed and uneventful week so far. That the sun is shining where you are, and that your days are filled with little pockets of joy.

I am hearing...
Early morning sounds . . . the clock on the mantle humming as the wheels inside it turn. Mitzie snuffling here curled up behind me on the sofa. The tap tapping of the computer keys as I write. Birds singing in the garden. All is right with the world.


Around the house...
Two people and a puppy don't make much of a mess really. I suppose that Mitzie makes most of the mess. She likes to bring in clumps of grass and such, and despite our having promised to not get a dog that shed ever again . . . she does shed, but we wouldn't have her any other way! We love her so much!!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
A bit of work, a bit of play and everything in between! Uneventful is good. If you could pray for Sheilagh's Ralph today I would appreciate. He is going in for a second eye operation. They are going to try to fix what they botched up several weeks back. I hope and pray they are successful with this op. Double Vision is no fun!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




Can you stand yet again another picture of Mitzie??? I thought so! You're getting one anyways! She had a lovely first Birthday yesterday. Got thoroughly spoiled the whole day through. She got a new bone to chew on, some diced chicken for a treat and for her supper a tasty meat cake made from extra lean minced beef. She was in doggie heaven! I am not sure she enjoyed wearing the party hat I made for her, and she was a bit afraid of the candle, but she did enjoy everything else!! She is very patient to put up with all this human nonsense we force upon her. Oh we do love her so!

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. ~lewis l dunnington

Thankfully I've always been the type of person that usually sees the glass as being half full. I wouldn't have it any other way!

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!

Here's a quick and simple pasta salad to enjoy in these warmer days ahead. Oh, I do love summer type of food and am quite ready for it when the warm days arrive. Todd is not so happy with the pasta part of it, but oh well . . . You can't have it all can you? (I usually make him something else.)



*Tex Mex Pasta Salad*
makes 8 servings
Printable Recipe

A delicious pasta salad which uses things that I always have in my larder and that is quick and very easy to throw together. Y
ou could easily turn it into a main dish salad for 4 by adding some cubed ham or chicken and perhaps some cubed cheddar or Jack cheese.

1/2 cup ranch salad dressing
1/3 cup good quality mayonnaise (I like Hellman's)
Zest and juice from lime
2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 TBS chopped fresh coriander
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions and drained
1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
3/4 cup tinned black beans, rinsed
4 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk the salad dressing, mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, hot pepper sauce, cumin and coriander together in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning with some salt and pepper if required. Stir in the cooked macaroni, tomatoes, spring onions and black beans. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour before serving.



In The English Kitchen today, Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Dumplings.


12 comments:

  1. It seems like we have the same weather as you Marie, very sunny and looks like it promises to be a beautiful day. I love the look of the pasta salad, I think that will go down well at one of our family gatherings!
    Have a lovely day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I managed to post!! I tried to leave a comment on your other blog this morning but it didn't work, I can't think why though because I use the same password!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Marie, same down here another nice sunny start to the day but they say rain later !! I won;t believe them LOL
    I have a hosp. appointment today..nothing to bother about just my leg need a bit of "refurbishment! I'm down to using sticking plaster to keep it togther LOL well I suppose it must be 3 years since I saw them...They usually suggest a new leg...but I am quick to say NO NO this ones fine..(they can never make as good a fitting one as this)
    I think we should all start to pray that a breakthrough will be made between your Son and you...I certainly will put it on my list...Thats as much as we can all do Marie. and if the Lord thinks the time is right it will happen otherwise we will just have to wait for His time, and that is hard.
    Have a lovely day with the gorgeous man and Lady !! in your life x
    Love Sybil xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sybil and will be praying for you and your son too. When things are not right with our children then we don't feel right either. It's to be a lovely day here too and I'm enjoying the sunshine and warmth for sure. I love the picture of Mitzie. I guess they think they are part human anyway so why not include them in the celebrating. I hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Mitzie had a good b-day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope today brings you lots of joy,,thanks for visiting me,, I can't wait to see the creations you make with pastels,

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual you give me many things to think about thru my day. I pray that your son will see your unconditional love, and bring himself to be loving and respectful of you as his mother, and see how happy you are in life. That says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see another awesome daybook entry. I always enjoy yours. We are nuts over our dogs. Our two are so spoiled. I think it was great to have a birthday party for Mitzie. Way cute picture.
    I love learning more about you and your days. You are such a favorite of mine. Have a wonderful week and know that brightened my day.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They says better late then never.So Happy Brithday Mitzie and the best ofevery thing.You are a sweetie.Here this is for you (HUG)xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie the chicken pot pie realiy look yummy and the cheddar dumpling's, oh I'm gruling.((HUGS))xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent as always, Marie! Loved the video of you guys and your little girl on Facebook! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday mitzie! how cute she had a birthday hat on even! haha! i'll have to show my girl in the morning, they'll get a kick out of that!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!