Thursday 2 June 2011

Thursday thoughts . . .



He drew a circle that shut me out . . .
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.
~Edwin Markham

I believe that touch may be one of our five senses that is the most underrated, and yet it is probably the one that people probably appreciate most of all. It is purely instinctive that we reach to pick up and sooth a baby when it cries, or to comfort a small child with a hug. What friend does not appreciate a squeeze of the hand or a pat on the back when they are in need of encouragement and reassurance??



Clinical research has shown that the sensation of a loving touch can make all the difference in the world, and a scientifically measurable difference to our health and well being. Experiments have also shown that a familiar touch can boost our immune system and help to relieve stress and pain.

And yet, whilst most of us find it very easy to comfort a child, we find it very difficult to comfort an adult.



I have always been a touchy feely kind of a person. I am a hugger, that's all there is to it! I can't help myself. I just always follow my instincts and reach out to those around me . . . be it a pat on the shoulder, a squeeze of the hand, or a full out hug! I wouldn't change me for the world. I think sometimes if we just do it without worrying about it . . . it might be just the medicine the receiver needs! I've never had anyone turn down a hug!





Well, I have my activity at the church tonight for the Sisters. I am a bit nervous about it. It will be the first one I have ever organized. I hope that we have a good turnout and that it goes well. I've put a lot of thought into it and I want the Sisters to enjoy it and feel spiritually fed as well as well as physically fed! I will be going out this afternoon to pick up all the Sundae Toppings! I know, a bit last minute, but I didn't dare have a bunch of goodies like that in the house too much ahead of time for fear I might dig in to them!

Speaking of digging in, here is a tasty grilled tuna sandwich that everyone loves. I think grilling makes any sandwich taste better. Instead of buttering the outsides these sandwiches are spread with mayonnaise on the outside, a trick I often use, even with a plain old grilled cheese. It gives an extra little zip to them and makes them even tastier, especially if you use something like a garlic or a mustard mayo! I sometimes add chopped green olives as well. I remember doing this when I was taking home economics at school and filling hamburger buns with the mixture, wrapping them with foil and baking them in the oven. We used mozzarella cheese and called them pizza buns. They were really good!



*Tuna Melt Sandwich*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Quick, easy and oh so delicious. As good as anything you might get in a restaurant!

1 6-ounce tin of tuna in water, drained and flaked
7 TBS good quality mayonnaise, divided
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
salt and pepper to taste
8 slices bread
4 processed cheese slices

Mix together the tuna, 3 TBS of the mayo, onion, green pepper and seasonings.

Lay out 4 bread slices and cover them with tuna mixture, 1 cheese slice and finally the second bread slice. Spread outsides of each sandwich with 1 TBS of mayonnaise.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until lightly browned on one side before flipping over to brown the other side. Keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.



There's a delicious Easy Berry Charlotte on offer for dessert today, over in The English Kitchen.

5 comments:

  1. How I agree with you Marie. I'm a hugger as well. and also love having a hug ! but it is odd as there are a few who don't like it..I wonder if it is because they were never hugged as children ? I am thinking of one person in particular at church who always backed away when she came towards me and in the end I just had to ask why....I thought I had upset her in some way...but it turned out that she did not like hugs and felt quite uncomfortable....Well that taught me to watch out for other folks reactions...but it's never happend before or since..
    I have never thought of putting nayo on teh outside of a sandwaych instead of butter...will certainly be using that one. Thanks again..
    Love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. goodmorning Marie,, I'm sending you a big ol" hug,, (i'm a hugger too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't grow up in a house where we hugged a lot, but when i met joey that all changed. his family loves to hug and i love it:) not that i never hugged my mom or anything, but we didn't do it all the time. i love hugs! maybe someday i'll get to hug you marie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs are wonderful things and something that I miss so much in my daily life living alone as I do. Having my little grandson to care for has helped out a bunch as he gets lots of hugs from this grand'ma' for sure. A pat on the back at just the right time is very encouraging too when we need it. Your tuna melt sounds delicious with the hint of spices in it. I'd not thought to do that before. I agree about grilling them, it does make a difference. Hope your Thursday is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear. Blogger has been giving me a terrible time as of late. It does not want me to leave comments. Marlene called me today and told me she was having the same problem and it helped her to remove the cookies from her computer and then uncheck the box on blogger that says keep always keep signed in. I did that and I was able to get to your blog today and leave this comment. Maybe my blogger problems are solved. I hope so because it has been upsetting not to be able to get to my favorite blogs.

    So..... today I am sending you a great big blog hug.... I love hugs... gentle ones now... but I love to hug and be hugged. I can't wait until I get to give you a real hug again.

    I agree with your last post that you have beautiful eyes.... but I think your best asset is your gorgeous, beautiful, loving heart. Your loving words always lift my spirit and make my heart smile. You are dear to me. Thank you for being my friend.

    Love and hugs, Lura
    p.s. come on over and see how we have redecorated our family room.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!