Wednesday 15 June 2011

Wednesday muses . . .




When I was a girl, some of my favourite books were the Lewis Carroll ones, "Alice in Wonderland," and "Alice Through the Looking Glass." This was partially because I grew up being called "Alice", which is my middle name, and partially because we had the abridged versions of them, along with the old illustrations, in our encyclopedia. I used to spend hours pouring over them, and enjoying them.

One of my favouritge quotes is from "Through the Looking Glass." It's the one where the Queen says to Alice:

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!"



I think to myself, why not! Why not tell yourself every morning that your day will be filled with wonderful and seemingly impossible things, just waiting for you to discover them and to bring joy into your life? I truly believe that if you begin your day with a bit of hope and excitement, you are setting yourself up to have a fabulous day, come what may.

And if nothing out of the ordinary occurs . . . and you have less than a little excitement??? What harm has been done . . . an ordinary day has been turned into a jewel of anticipation and discovery anyways, and that can't be bad. I suppose I have always been a dreamer, and whilst many of my dreams have never been realized . . . a lot of them have and I've had a wonderful time imagining things in the process. You've got to have a dream if you're going to have a dream come true . . .



I had a very exciting day yesterday. The woman who was cutting my hair ended up cutting it really short. Every time she clipped and showed it to me, I could see these puffy things that looked like wings sticking out the side of my head. I have very wavy hair, filled with lots of body. So I would say I don't like it puffing out on the sides like that and she would snip again. Thankfully I like it and it looks good, so that's ok! I was a bit afraid that Todd would be upset, but he likes it too, so that's ok!



We took Miztie for a walk along the River Dee. I couldn't go too far, but it was good to be out and about and the breeze was nice coming off the water. Mitzie enjoyed some new smells and terrain and Todd and I enjoyed the time together.


All the way home I was thinking about the Fish Pie I had popped into the oven just prior to our going out. It would be waiting and perfectly baked for us when we got in. We no sooner got into the door, and the telephone was ringing. I answered it and it was for me. Last week I had entered a contest to win a new dishwasher from the Zanussi Company, and guess what?



I won it! I was so excited! I have never had my own dishwasher. We had one up at the big house when I worked there and it did such a beautiful job of the dishes, that I am quite looking forward to having one. I was so happy to tell Todd when I got off the telephone that his days as a dishwasher were numbered! He was happy too! All I have to do now is pick one out. I can pick any one of their line that I want, and then they will have it delivered! I can't wait!!

I went to bed last night feeling like the luckiest woman in the world! You just never know what each day is going to bring to the table do you?

Here's a tasty dessert pizza that your children will love. I think the husbands will love this one too. In fact I think it would be the perfect dessert for Father's Day! It's very easy to make if you use refrigerated cookie dough for the crust too.




*Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pizza*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

A delicious dessert pizza that the kids will love! (The big kids will love it too!)

1/2 of your favourite recipe for chocolate chip cookies, or a
roll of refrigerated chocolate chip cookies
1 (250g) package of cream cheese, softened (8 ounces)
1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
1 cup of icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
1 cup of frozen whipped topping, thawed (or the equivalent
amount of whipped double cream)
3/4 cup of hot fudge topping
chopped peanuts to garnish

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Using floured hands, press the cookie dough into the bottom of an ungreased 12 inch pizza pan. (This is easier if you break it up into pieces.) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before proceeding.

Spread 1/2 cup of the hot fudge topping over the cookie crust.

Whisk the cream cheese, peanut butter, icing sugar and milk together in a bowl. Fold in the whipped topping (cream). Spread this mixture over top of the fudge topped cookie crust. Drizzle with the remainder of the hot fudge topping and sprinkle with peanuts.

Cut into wedges to serve.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Toasty Topped Butter Cake!


15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win, what an exciting day indeed! Would you care to share a photo of your new 'do'

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day you sure had Marie. Woudl have love dteh walk along bythe river with you Todd and Mitzie...What about a new photograph of you with your new hairstyle. I think you wil suit it very much...As for the dishwasher...wonderful...good for you. I have never known anyone who has won anything "big" like that. There are some great ones about now even nice small ones for 3/4 people tyhat don;t take up much room.
    Take care, Love sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marie,
    Congratulations again on your new dishwasher, I can imagine how excited you and Todd are about it! I'm sure the new hair-style is lovely, I remember you had short hair when we met you and it really suited ou I thought.
    The dessert looks wonderful, another one for one of our family get-togethers I think...my family do well out of your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Marie. You are one lucky lady. How about posting a pic of your new hairdo also. Would love to see it. When picking your dishwasher, don't go for the one with all the bells and whistles, pick one that is energy efficient. As they say, looks aren't everything, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on winning the new dishwasher. You deserve It!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS on the fun win of that dishwasher, Marie--HOORAY! Gosh, I don't think I could live without a dishwasher... LOL! It sure makes like easier. My Mom has a dishwasher, nice little washer-up-er in their flat, but does my Mom use it--NO! She still does the washing up all by hand, herself. She should be enjoying the dishwasher. LOL! So you did you get your hair cut then? We're itching to see! ;o) LOVE your peanuty-chocolately cake today--this looks dangerously good! Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done You!!

    That is Fabulous news, especailly for Todd..lol.

    Looking forward to seeing the new hairdo sometime soon..

    That dessert looks extremely dangerous Marie, I am not even going to mention it to Ralph.

    Big Hugs

    Sheilagh

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY for you..I love this blog Marie..I don't comment..often..I do on your food one..But when I can I read and enjoy every word.
    You're inspirational.I love the photos..the words.. you are so truthful.
    Yay again on the dishwasher.you SO deserve one:)

    Bet the hair looks great too..Mine's still long and it often crosses my mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day you had. Hope today is another great one for you too! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, you are lucky,, good for you,, no one deserves a dish washer anymore than you,, you are always cooking,, I wish you had shown us your new doo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie I'm so excited for you! How incredibly wonderful to have won a new dishwasher! Congratulations - what a nice thing to hear on the phone. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie:

    That is fantastic news! I've been doing without a dishwasher since 2008. It's the one "modern" appliance that I have a hard time doing without. I just don't like to wash dishes.

    I read this post and thought how funny it is that just a couple of weeks ago, I finished a watercolor/collage that was based on Alice's Queen of Hearts. I'd never created a piece with a pre-existing character. I had so much fun, I decided to do a piece based on Little Red Riding Hood as well. Such fun!!

    Congratulations on your new dishwasher:

    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mouth is watering over your recipe. I always feel so uplifted by your thoughts. The pictures bring a calming spirit to me. They are so beautifull. I would love to see your new haircut.
    Congratulations on geting a dishwasher; that is so awesome.
    You are blessed or is it lucky?
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I happened upon your blog and so glad I did...thank you for sharing Wednesday's musings, I was in need of those very thoughts! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. okay, so many commetns here:) first, congrats on winning the dishwasher-woot woot!! and second, wowsas that pizza looks amazing! and third, i love that quote you shared from "through the looking glass" i need to start dreaming of more impossibilities:) how fuN!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!