Thursday 9 June 2011

The signs of a mature woman . . .



He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

~Philippians 1:6

A funny thing happens when a woman asks Christ into her heart and mind, and replaces her old way of thinking with a Christ-like way of thinking. It makes an incredible difference in her life. It has made an incredible difference in my life.



I found this list of some ways to challenge our thinking as mature women, in the process of trying to become more Christ-like, and in working our way through this life in such a way as to take ourselves back into our Heavenly Father's presence when we leave it to go home. It's always nice to have a list to check ourselves against, don't you think? I hope you don't mind me sharing.

A Mature Woman:

  • Always thinks things through to their natural conclusion. She can see not only the here and the now, but the consequences that might occur as a result of her actions.
  • Ponders how her actions might affect others.
  • Can see both sides to any situation.
  • Doesn't take things personally
  • Understands and accepts that life is never, "All about me."
  • Is a good, fair and reasonable negotiator.
  • Loves fairytales, but also loves true stories, and is able to discern the difference betwixt the two.
  • May become tired from time to time, but doesn't allow her fatigue to control her general attitude and demeanor. Know when to rest when she needs it and when to push herself.
  • Knows what is the best for her, and has the self discipline to pursue her goals.


I can't say that I always think before I leap, but I do try hard to "be" and "do" the best that I can each day. It wasn't always so. When I was younger, I know I made a lot of mistakes. In fact, most of what I know in life, has been learnt the hard way. I have discovered that lessons learnt the hard way are seldom, if ever, forgotten!!

My reading lesson went quite well yesterday. I think this will work out well. I was able to ascertain that he already knows and recognizes the alphabet and can recognize a lot of words on sight. I did notice, however, that he often reads them backwards so I am wondering if he is not a bit on the dyslexic side. This bears thinking about. I have a friend who is a teacher so I am going to ask her for some advice on the matter.

Here's a delicious salad that I like to make on these warmer days. I like a bit of grilled chicken or fish with it myself. Todd, well, he's not really a salad kind of a guy . . . although he does admit that I do make salads a bit tastier than what he has been used to in the past. I do try.



*Punchy Pesto Pea Salad*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

I like to make my own pesto for this. It’s so easy and tastes so much better than the stuff you get in the jar. If you must use store bought pesto though, try to get the fresh stuff from the refrigerator cabinet. Not only does it look 100% better, but you really can’t compare the taste. There is a whole world of difference!

4 ounces of baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
10 ounces frozen baby peas, de-frosted
½ cup prepared pesto
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TBS toasted pine nuts

Make sure your spinach leaves are really dry. Blot them with some kitchen towelling if they aren’t. Place the spinach leaves in a medium to large sized salad bowl along with the de-frosted peas. Add the pesto and the Parmesan cheese. Toss together. Season with the salt and pepper. Toss again and then sprinkle the pine nuts on top to serve.

*Green Basil Pesto*

Makes approximately 1 cup

There is nothing better than making your own pesto. It’s so easy, especially if you have a food processor that you can use.

180g fresh basil leaves (2 big handfuls)
1 pinch sea salt
2 ounces good quality olive oil (1/4 cup)
2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
2 ounces pine nuts
4 TBS freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Wash your basil well, by swishing it in a pan of cold water. Dry it very carefully between kitchen towels so as not to bruise it and then pick off the stems.

Place the basil in the bowl of the food processor. Add the garlic, pine nuts and salt and pulse for a few seconds to chop it all up finely. Begin to pulse again as you slowly add the olive oil through the feeder tube. When it has all emulsified and is smooth, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Taste for seasoning and if needed add more salt and a bit of freshly ground pepper if desired. Scrape out into a bowl. This will keep several days in the refrigerator.



I'm cooking Diner Food over in The English Kitchen today, a tasty and easy Hot Hamburger Platter Dinner! (not much to look at, but oh so delish!)


7 comments:

  1. I do like your list Marie...great food for thought..
    Gla dit went well with the reaidng yesterday. Funny about the dyslexia question I think that M has it as well as she has the habbit of writing letters backwards..also when she was a child she was left handed by instict but was not allowed to use it at school and I oten wondr if the causes confusion...
    Love for now Sybil xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,

    I loved reading about your lesson yesterday. I always find that reading is magical. You present the bits and pieces and somehow it clicks. Unfortunately for some the ah ha moment takes a long time. My son took years to learn. I have had some children around me who have never learned especially when I worked with very low level children as a special ed teacher. If your friend has some words and letters under his belt with perseverance he should make progress.

    Hugs and love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those first two pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, dear Marie! This is a great list to contemplate and see how we girls can live better now. I like this. So glad your reading lesson went so good yesterday, and that you think this will continue to go well. Wow--what a gift you are giving this man--the gift of reading and language! LOVE this salad recipe today--perfect for summer days...mmm... Happy Summer Days, my sweet friend--LOVE YOU LOTS!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,thanks for sharing A Mature Woman I'm going to share it with my daughter.I know if anyone can help this man,you can.My love to you and yours.xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mature woman is a wonderful list to aim for. I'm still maturing it seems as there are a few I've not achieved. I very often do take things personally and have a hard time with it. I hope your lessons continue to go well. Reading is so important and as I love to do so cannot imagine not being able to. Have a wonderful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wise list, Marie. I hope you are having a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!