Wednesday 1 June 2011

Who are we . . . really?



"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart."
~Jeremiah 1:5

If all we do is to look at the outward appearances of each other, we will discover that we are not all that different or unique. For instance . . . there are many people who look just like me. They have dark long hair, brown eyes, are fluffy not thin, are short . . . etc. Having said that though, I actually think my eyes are my best feature and always have done. I would even go so far as to say I have pretty eyes.

Writing that made me feel a bit wierd, even if I believe that is true. I do have pretty eyes. I wonder why that should be that I feel uncomfortable saying so??? Why does it feel odd to point out the things we like about ourselves . . . and yet at the same time, we seem to have no problem at all at making lists of things I DON'T like about ourselves!!!



Who I am though, actually isn't the shape or the colour of my eyes. It's not the shape of my body, or the length and colour of my hair. The eyes are often called the window to the soul . . . and that person you see in the depths of my pretty eyes, peering out at the world . . . that is the real me, and I am always changing . . . growing . . . evolving.

I am not the same woman I was 20 years ago, and I am not the same woman I was 10 years ago. Hopefully I won't be the same woman in 10 years time! I am a work in progress, evolving daily, my experiences shaping me and helping me to hopefully become more like my creator as I learn and struggle and grow in this life I am living.



As I grow older, and as more wrinkles appear and the ones I have deepen . . . as the hair turns more grey and my walk gets a bit slower . . . hopefully my insides are getting a bit more beautiful, as I develop the characteristics that my Heavenly Father would have me grow, and as I develop into the woman I was sent here to become.



It is a simple truth, but a profound one I think. If more people would spend as much time and money developing their insides as they do their outsides, we would live in a very different world I think, don't you?? Just my thoughts . . .

This is a delicious recipe here today for some chicken breasts that turn out moist and flavourful. I always like to pound my chicken breasts a little before I cook them. That seems to tenderize them somewhat. Do be careful not to overcook them or they will end up dry. This sauce has lots of flavour and the cheese on top is an added treat. We like this with rice, but it would also be very good on pasta!



*Salsa Chicken with Cheddar*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Healthy, light and very flavourful!

2 TBS light zesty Italian vinaigrette salad dressing
4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup of thick chunky salsa
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated medium strength Cheddar Cheese (can use half fat)
2 cups hot cooked rice, to serve

Heat the salad dressing in large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cover. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from the skillet to a heated plate and cover to keep warm.

Add the peppers to the skillet and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the chopped tomatoe and salsa. Return chicken to skillet and simmer, covered, on medium-low heat 10 min. or until cooked through. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning as required.

Sprinkle the cheese on top. cover and let sit for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve over hot cooked rice. Delicious!

Note - you can add a tin of drained corn or black beans for added flavour and texture if you wish.



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Grilled Apple, Bacon and Cheese Sarnie!


6 comments:

  1. Love todays recipe Marie...but then Chicken is one of our all time favs. quite a lot of deep thoughts today..but ever so true..
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do have pretty eyes Marie,, and the best part is your heart,, its a big heart that gives and gives,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm that grilled Apple-Bacon-Cheese Sarnie looks delectable!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm evolving for sure Marie and parts of me are evolving a bit larger than they were. Oddly enough, nothing seems to be evolving smaller. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, as usual I loved your post today. I think you came up with some very good thoughts about how we view ourselves and I like them. We are a work in process; and sometimes I feel really strained by this work. I loved the picture and message of Open you heart and feel your soul.
    I have felt very uplifted by your thoughts today.
    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love how every moment of every day we are given the opportunity to change and to become better-what a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!