Monday 1 March 2021

Small and Wonderful things . . .

 

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  
 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 

 photo 645c3a659a22e416ece8db2ab7b9d487_zps95165beb.jpg 

God's presence is ever beside you,
As near as the reach of your hand,
You have but to tell Him your troubles,
There is nothing He won't understand.
~Helen Steiner Rice

Prayer.  It's a small thing, but it's everything.  I am so grateful for the presence of prayer in my life.   

 photo 962d0a531453c0a6f0d767adf42d7ba9_zps44d46a94.jpg 


The gift of today.  A fresh page to write on with each new day that dawns.   Thank God for new beginnings and the chance we have to do-better . . .    

 


The luxury of Leisure Time. Many in the world work their fingers to the bone from dawn until dusk with nary a break, every single day of their lives.  There is no time in their days for even simple pleasures.   

 

The beauty of every day things.  Ordinary things. Simple things. Tender mercies. Small blessings. I have a very abundant life. To be able to experience the magic in the ordinary is a gift I hope I never take for granted. The ability to choose the positive most days. I know that there are many, many people in the world who struggle with this either through mental illness or depression.  I have low moments.  Everyone does. Thankfully I have always been able to shake them off and move forward.  I know this is a great blessing.   

 

One of the greatest gifts my parents gave us was each other, even if it sometimes didn't feel like it. I am grateful for our talks and conversations, and for our relationship.   

 

Facetimes with Doug and his boys.  They always cheer me up to no end. The virus is surging on PEI. Not a lot compared to say Ontario or Quebec, but enough to put this very small Island on alert. I am hoping and praying this sweet family stays safe, especially Doug with his heart condition and diabetes. Mind you I pray all of us stay safe and healthy every day anyways.   

 

A heart that is able to seek out the small pockets of joy that embroider each of our days.  Every day may not be a good day, but there is truly something good in each and every day if we have a heart and mind that actively seeks and looks for them.  You will never be able to discover them, if you never pursue them.  They are there just waiting to be revealed.  Attitude is everything.  

 


I am so grateful that I have a forgiving heart.  I cannot imagine carrying all the hurts in my life around with me always. What a burden. 

 

Being content with and knowing that I truly have enough. Of everything. I lack for nothing. I am blessed.  There are people in this world who would give their all just to have a portion of what I have. I know that and try to live my life with gratitude every single day.  

 

Each and every one of you.  You will probably never know how much it cheers my heart that I have you to share with each day, or at least each day that I can.  Oh, I know, I would probably share even if you weren't there, but you make it all so much nicer.  I can feel you out there and I think of you when I am writing.  My posts really do feel like conversations with good and kind friends and that is largely due to YOU.  Love you all and thank YOU! 

And those are my small and wonderful things for this week.

 
A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
We must constantly remind ourselves
that He is God and we are not. 
~Jeffrey R Holland   •。★★ 。* 。  
 


In The English Kitchen today, an old favourite. Swiss Steak. I've been making this delicious steak for my family for years and years and years. Mom made it before me, and I am sure my grandmother did too. Its delicious!

I hope the week ahead for you  is filled with lots of small and simple things!  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!


17 comments:

  1. Have a great day..your son is so nice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two really lovely boys in my two older sons Monique. I cannot complain for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  2. All of the small things do add up to be the best things in life !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! Lovely thoughts today. I too am thankful for the simple things and try to appreciate them. As I age, I find I yearn for less material things and appreciate more simplistic, basic things. I enjoy my visits here. Always so calm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Billy Jo. I have been yearning for a much simpler life for a few years now. I have finally gotten it. xoxo

      Delete
  4. I think you would enjoy Sarah Ban Breathnach's books "Romancing the Ordinary" and "Simple Abundance" if you haven't already read them. Are your libraries open in N.S? Hope your family in PEI stays safe. It's a worry for sure. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have read Simple Abundance a few years back. It is lovely. Love her writing. The town library is open, but I have no way to get there at present. In time I will! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Are we not so blessed to be able to have time to enjoy the small things!?!?
    Happy March....Spring is on its way! xo, V

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic post Marie bc it hits all the feels!
    Your son Doug and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers! Also the whole island!

    I haven't made swiss steak in a long time. Yum! Its probably bc I forgot about it and have someone shop for me too for now. Lol

    I'm so bummed bc it's going to be cold all week again! It's suppose to get down to 8• tonight and it's super windy! Brrr!

    Stay safe, healthy and happy friend!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much J! March is coming in like a Lion here. I don't mind. Spring is surely on its way! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Hi Marie~

    You are such a blessing to so many people...me included! Your posts always make me smile, you are a special lady.

    I feel very blessed as well and try never to take for granted the many good things that I am able to enjoy each day. I pray that I will never get complacent and forget all that I am blessed with.

    Doug and his family will be in my prayers. Covid has sure taken a toll on all of us...I'll be glad when life gets somewhat normal.

    I haven't been online much and just read that you will be able to move into an apartment! I'm so happy for you, I know it will be wonderful to be in your own place. I hope it happens soon, and I know you will love it!

    Much love to you, Marie! XOXOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb. I am not sure how long it will be before I can move in, but at least I now have the promise of a place and that is good! God bless you! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  8. Lovely thoughts today...those quotes are good!! SO glad you have 2 sons and 1 daughter who love you very much!! That is more than 50%...maybe it is all any of us can ask for!! And you know, we love even those who do not love us, and they have NO CONTROL over that do they!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot complain Elizabeth. You are right. We can't control what we can't control No point in stressing over things we cannot change. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  9. Your other son and daughter love you too Marie! Their just being bratty, just like my son is!
    They can't forgive and forget bc they're stubborn!

    My son is still mad even though he said he wasn't. He knows I would of lost my job, that I couldn't go to his wedding! His Sister went and the twins were flower girls. His aunt and her family went also.

    My heart was aching to be there!!! It was a week with traveling, 2 days of events and then the wedding and driving home the next day. It's a 14 hr drive without stopping though!
    He could of included me in by video!

    He's a electrical and mechanical engineer and took the doctorate a few yrs ago. So it would of been easy and fast to do! This is almost 6 yrs ago, while in July it will be.

    I see him every 2 yrs at Christmas over my parents house. The last time I saw him, now over 3 yrs bc of pandemic, he wasn't very social to me. My oldest granddaughter told him to stop being hurtful to me! I was the last one to find out his wife was pregnant and I let him know how I felt! Now he has a 5 month old boy and almost 3 yr old daughter I've only seen in a pic!

    My daughter and her 5 kids make up for it though and life goes on …
    They have even come by and the kids stay in the car and I'll go on my porch to talk to them. My daughter will talk with a mask on bc she gets closer.

    So they will come around eventually, even if it's for a few minutes. It happened for a blogger that I read often. Her other daughter forgave her and now she gets to see all 3 grands!
    Don't give up hope Marie!xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!