Saturday 6 March 2021

Saturday nice . . .

 


 

I thought it would be nice on Saturdays to share things that I discovered during the week that I thought were incredibly inspiring. Saturday nice  . . . 

The following is something which my friend Joy shared with me a very long time ago. It made my heart smile then, it makes it smile now, and I am pretty sure it will make yours smile as well. 



“This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced. I have no way to know who sent it, but there is a kind soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service. 

 Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words: 

 Dear God, 

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her. Love, Meredith.  

 We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. 

A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.  

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, "To Meredith" in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, "When a Pet Dies." 

Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note: 

 Dear Meredith, Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. 

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. 

 Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. 

By the way, I am wherever there is love. 

Love, 
God “  



 Isn’t it great to know that there are such kind and thoughtful people in the world? What a beautiful blessing this must have been both to Meredith and her mom, and also to the special person that thought to do such a kindness for an unknown little girl. 

I, personally, think they were inspired. God does work in mysterious ways His wonders to perform. 


Not a lot going on here today. Not sure if we will be doing any Saturday shopping or not. It snowed during the night and there is a bit of accumulation on the roads, nothing too severe however.  It is just nice to get out of the house, if only for a few moments or to sit in the car.  
 
My sister and I were decanting some watercolors into some pans last night for a little bit and talking. We were talking about Christmas's when we were children, and the things Santa brought to us.  I know, here it is March and we are talking about such things.  The wanderings of the mind.  

I think what started it off was me talking about the one time I got something for Christmas that I had asked for.  A Jon Gnagy Art Kit. Oh how I loved that present and I used it all up. It brought me joy for many years.

Mom and dad were not parents who spoiled their children.  They did their best for us, but never went over the top. We did not have oodles of toys like some kids had, but what we did have we really appreciated.  And we used our imaginations a lot.  

Like me tying a string around my doll's neck so that I could have a Chatty Cathy doll. Mine was better than a Chatty Cathy doll because it said way more things. Whatever I wanted it to say actually.  



My sister was telling me about how she put a doll dress on her hand and a doll head on her fingers.  She had tied a kerchief to the door knob in our room in a sort of pouch and had a little stuffed dog. That was her Casey and Finnigan like on Mr. Dressup.

You see . . .  imaginations.  We had them and we used them. We were never really bored. We were blessed. 

I had a message yesterday from the mother of the young man who is renting my old house in Chester.  It was complaining about my next door neighbor Maxine, and asking me to get her to stop mithering her son.  I am not sure what to do about that.  I can say that in the ten years I lived next door to Maxine she was a good, honest and very helpful, caring neighbor. Yes, her wee dogs did bark a lot, but that is wee dogs. They all can be a bit yappy. It never bothered us that much. All the way through lockdown, she sent bread and milk, eggs, etc. over to Todd and myself and never would take anything in exchange. She was always very kind to us.  I have see CCTV film of this other woman's son going up to the front of Maxine's gate, aggressively prying her "No Parking" sign off the gate with a crow bar, and then throwing it at Maxine's car.  It was not very nice to see I have to say.  I can only think that her son is not a good neighbor and is the aggressor, but again I am not living there and do not know who is really at fault.  I can only say this, I don't appreciate being put into this position. What would you do?

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*.˛Be joyful in hope,
patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer.
~Romans 12:12
•。★★ 。* 。•。★
 
 

In The English Kitchen today . . .  Easy Old Fashioned Gingerbread.  A new recipe I tried, which is actually a vintage recipe. Its easy and delicious! Fact, I baked it two days ago and there is only one square left today!  Its that good! 

Have a wonderful Saturday. No matter what you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ══════════ 
 

And I do too! 




14 comments:

  1. Loved the dog story!! And as to the crazy letter from that woman...mercy me...I would not respond!! Your neighbor was SO good to you in hard times!! There are whistles one can purchase that only a dog hears and you can train barking dogs (generally) to respond to that with quiet and some patience and diligence at first. Believe me, we did that ourselves in one crazy situation we lived in. It is good for dogs to learn not to bark un-needed too...in a good method. You are right tho' that small dogs are often very barky. We have a small one across the hall from us...but he is quiet at night...so good enough.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided to ignore Elizabeth. Its the best thing to do. I owe nothing to that man's mother, but my neighbor was a very good neighbor and my loyalty lies with her. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Stay neutral, Marie. Maxine was a good friend to you. They need to work it out between them. Loved the story you told. What a kind person to do that. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Elaine. It was not nice for this man's mother to contact me. Why is she fighting her grown son's battles? He is not a nice person from what I have seen in the video. This is a lovely story. It made me smile big time! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Don’t get involved. It’s not your battle and they can sort it out themselves. Maxine is your friend. Just don’t reply to that letter.you don’t want to encourage communications with those people. They are nothing to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly. And yes, I do not want to encourage communication with them! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Stay out of it.
    You have enough on your plate and he sounds like nasty business..
    Barking dogs are a nuisance though..just saying..once in a while is fine but constant drives some people mad..case in point;)
    Lots of kindness in the world for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that this woman has tried to drag me into it. He is nasty business. Barking dogs are annoying, I agree, and small dogs are very barky. I found though that after a time I never noticed it anymore and it was never at night, just in the daytime. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Yes, stay out of it. They guy rented a house, not a lawyer. Sounds like he's a mama's boy, so let her figure out how to deal with the situation.
    I, too got a Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw art set. My first work of art was a pear!
    Looking forward to you settling in to a new place, where you can feel like you once again have a grip on life. I have no doubt you will come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your pear. My father still has a piece of art I did with the art set hanging on his wall! I am embarrassed by it now, but he has taken it with him wherever he has lived. He is very proud of it for some reason! I hope I will succeed! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't do anything Marie!
    It's his problem, not yours and they have a lot of nerve trying to make it yours! If he doesn't like it, then he can move away!
    He sounds like a total jerk anyway destroying things!

    I had some rotten neighbors and I didn't do much bc of a child involved. After not much sleep esp in the summer, I had enough after 3 1/2 yrs of their partying! I know I have a lot of patience and I didn't want it on my conscience if they took the child away from the mother! So that's why I took so long to complain. Well, I did complain to their landlord and he said that they always paid there rent on time. Meaning he could care less!

    Then I had enough and it took me less than 6 mos to get them to move! Lol I just started calling the cops every time they partied and fought and they finally moved out of their apt.
    It was ridiculous bc I could hear them all over my house and my dog barked every time they woke him up! The apt house is across my lawn!

    You get to look forward to having a place of your own to decorate …
    Stay safe, healthy and warm my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad neighbours can make your life a living hell V! Thankfully I have never had really bad ones. I have just been lucky I guess! One thing I don't like however is if they play loud music all hours of the day. I get people liking their music, but do I have to like it too? haha Stay safe, healthy and warm as well! xoxo

      Delete
  7. I have new neighbors in that apt house in both apts. The only one that has annoyed me is the guy upstairs bc he sits in his truck listening to his music blasting!

    I couldn't even hear my tv, so I went out and said, maybe u want to break your eardrums but I don't want mine broken in the process! Lol He didn't stay in his truck very long after that!

    Stay safe, healthy and warm too!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how very annoying J. Good for you for making him aware of his noise! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!