Wednesday 17 March 2021

Forget not to be happy now . . .

 

Brrrr . . .  its really cold this morning. I don't think it is much colder than its been all winter, but this morning I can feel it in my bones and can't seem to get warm.  It will be Spring in just a few days now, and I suppose before too long we will be complaining about how hot it is! 

I got a package in the post yesterday from the UK. In it was a whole lot of photographs and my scriptures from the UK.  Tina and Tony had sent it to me. Because I had such limited space in my cases I had left my scriptures with Tina because I knew she would use them. It pained me a bit to leave them because they had been a gift to me from a friend who passed away a few years back, way back when I first joined the church.  But I thought, I can always buy new ones and I knew Tina would give them a good home.

The photos were some that my landlord had found in a plastic bag, who knows where.  I thought I had put all of my photos into my 9 boxes.  Apparently not because he ended up with this bag of photos.  There are some really old ones in the bag. I had forgotten I even had them. I suppose they were out of sight out of mind.  I will scan some of them to show you another day, but I sure enjoyed going through them last night.  It was so kind of Tina and Tony to go to the expense of sending them to me along with my scriptures.

Actually Tina and I had facetimed yesterday morning as well, before I got the box, so that was also nice. Face to face is a wonderful thing. I need to do it more. 

 

“Patience
~the ability to put our desires on hold for a time~
is a precious and rare virtue. 
It is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. 
Patience means active waiting and enduring. 
It means staying with something and doing all that we can.
working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, 
even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. 
Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!” 
–Dieter F. Uchtdorf 

I spent a bit of time reading this talk by Dieter F Uchtdorf a few days ago.  Entitled "Continue in Patience" it was a talk he had given at one of our church conferences back in April of 2010. I remember him giving the talk at the time. I love all of Elder Uchtdorf's talks, but when I was reading it again the other day it ended up being exactly what I needed to be reading and touched my heart.  It was such a help to me, I ended up journaling a whole page on it in my journal.   




Sometimes it is in the waiting 
rather than in the receiving
that we grow the most. 

A part of what was getting me down was feeling like I was very much in a holding pattern. Not able to or wanting to look backwards, and yet at the same time not really being able to move forward like I really want to be.  Instead I am sitting here treading water . . .  waiting, waiting, waiting . . .  

I have discovered I am not a very patient person sometimes.  I suppose all of us can be a bit impatient and wanting to get on with our lives from time to time.  This pandemic is trying all of us patience-wise I know.  We long for things to get back to what we see as being normal. I think who we are can get lost in the longing, and we can spend so much time longing for things . . .  that we forget to be happy now. We end up ignoring what can be really beautiful and meaningful opportunities and experiences in our impatience to get where we think/want/desire to be.  

 

As I was just writing the above I was reminded of another talk that Dieter F Uchtdorf gave a number of years back when he was on the church presidency entitled "Forget Me Not." After that talk I had been prompted to do this piece of art that you see here. After it was done, Todd told me I should send a copy of it to President Uchtdorf and after a bit of poo-poohing I did.  I went into town and got a frame for it, bundled it up and mailed it off.   I got a beautiful letter from him in return a few months later. (It is packed in one of my journals down in the boxes I have downstairs here. At least I hope that it is.) 
          
What he didn't know at the time was that I was undergoing testing for Ovarian Cancer which was a very frightening time for me. His last words in his letter to me said: "I commend you on staying faithful to your covenants through times of adversity and discouragement. God has blessed you, and He is mindful of the desires of your heart." It was then that I knew all would be ok, and it was. I did not have cancer. 

And as I read through this again this morning, I know once more that everything will be okay.  I just need to be patient.  With myself, with the world, with the situation. Forget not to be happy now. 

The tender mercies of the Lord are real and not random. I love when He reminds me He is still there, on the case and mindful of little old me.

 

Speaking of happy, I want to wish Elaine a very Happy Birthday for today.  I hope you have a lovely day today filled with lots of the things you love and enjoy!!!

Also Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all who are Irish and who want to be!  I have a bit of Irish in me as noted in my DNA.  I was looking forward to a corned beef dinner this year (which I have missed for 20 years) but we could not find any, so I am not sure what we will be having, but it will be something. tasty I am sure.

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *Don 't wait to live,
this isn't a rehearsal,
this isn't a dry run,
this isn't a pre-performance routine.
This is it. This is real life.
Don't wait. Savor every minute.
~Jeffrey R Holland•。★★ 。* 。 

 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Baked Potato Soup, with a crispy potato skin crouton.  Delicious! 

Have a great day, whatever you get up to.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!    

  

 






8 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Marie. I guess that's why patience is a virtue. Thanks for your birthday wishes, too. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Elaine! I do hope you have a truly beautiful day! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Never forget the good things come to those that wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Good things do come to those who wait! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Tough to be in the waiting periods of life, but they come to us all!! And being happy in the moment is all we have really. My mama used to tell me, "Happiness is a gift you give yourself. Not something you get from anyone else." How well she knew that one!! Sending you good thoughts and hugs. Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet and thoughtful friends Tina and Tony are!

    Happy Birthday Elaine! I hope your wishes come true, when you blow out your candles! 🎂

    Happy St Patrick's Day to everyone! 🍀

    I've been eating marbled rye bread with corned beef and provolone cheese from the deli all week that I warm up in my oven. Yum!

    I'm making shepard's pie with sweet potatoes on top. My fav is sweet potatoes, butternut squash and broccoli! Oh, zucchini and fresh green beans too! I'm fussy but I do like some green veggies. Lol

    What I do for a pick me up is buy something special for my house and put it away til Spring comes.
    That way I have something to look forward too. Some yrs it's just a decoration or cute kitchen towels. Last yr b4 covid my Mom gave me her beautiful intricate glass cake stand, that I couldn't wait to put out in Spring!

    Stay safe, healthy and warm Marie and keep smiling bc you'll have your own place soon!xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!