Monday 25 October 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   


 These two little scamps that are now more cats than kittens, size wise anyways.  They are such great company and really entertain and distract me with their antics! Both have become very affectionate, although with Cinnamon it is more on her terms than as with Nutmeg who is full on affectionate no matter what.  Always curious and wanting to be a part of whatever I am doing, which, granted, can sometimes be a bit annoying but not annoying enough that I regret any minute of having them or choosing to get two instead of one.  I get an enthusiastic greeting every morning and lots of sweet cuddles throughout the day, plus a live entertainment show peppered throughout my days and evenings. They are just what the Doctor ordered! Love them to bits. 

 


Being able to break bread with family. I long for the day when things will open enough that I can see my whole family, but in the meantime I do so enjoy being able to gather together  for these smaller intimate meals with my sister, Dan and dad.  My sister made us a lovely cabbage roll supper on Saturday night and then I had everyone over for pot roast yesterday. Its just nice being with family.

My sister is my best friend, and I know you know that already, but since this is a gratitude post I need to repeat how very grateful I am to have a Cindy in my life.  I said to my father on the telephone last night, my sister and my brother are the two greatest gifts he and mom ever gave to me.

 

My car passing its road safety test and having it all ready now for winter.  That's a big load off.  Now all I have to do it to get used to Winter driving again.  Oh, and buy an ice/snow scraper.  Also a cheap bag of kitty litter and a little spade for in the boot of the car.  They always come in handy when you get stuck, especially in the Winter.  Don't let me forget.  

 

Having a hobby that helps to support me.  I am ever so grateful for that. I never could get by without it. Being able to cook and write about cooking is something I could never have envisioned myself being able to earn a living by doing, but here I am doing it, and I am grateful for every moment of it and all that it brings into my life.  Its a real blessing.   




Here I am, once again, thanking each of you for your continued support and for being such a wonderful influence for good in my life. You are a part of each and every one of my days. I am so very grateful for all of the love you send my way by way of comments, e-mails, etc. You don't need to do it, but you do and that means a lot to me.  You have given me a voice. I would probably still do this anyways, but its lovely to be appreciated and I do so appreciate each and every one of you.  You have helped me to traverse a very difficult year and I am eternally grateful for that. I think you are all very special. 

You are special to me. 

 

The birds that come to my feeder each day. I really enjoy watching them. I don't really get a huge variety yet. I think I need to put my feeders in a different spot. I have a tall feeder holder, but I can't get it into the ground. I need someone to help me with that. It will hold more than one feeder, unlike the one I have now which only holds one.  This other pole will hold four or five.  I need help with my garden also. I may have to look in the yellow pages to find someone. I can do it.

 

I got myself a bread box and I managed to put it together all by myself.  Nothing comes ready assembled anymore. They usually come flat packed and you need to assemble it yourself.  I never thought I was good at that sort of thing, but I am surprising myself more and more all the time. I did it, and its holding together, plus it is large enough to hold my bread and then some. I know it won't be long before the kittens are able to jump up on the counter. When I am awake I can shoo them down, but when I am in bed at night I won't be able to shoo them off. I didn't want them to get into my bread or whatever. Now I can store it all safely away from their little paws and noses.

 
(source


Rather than buy a kettle when I moved into this place, I got myself a one cup water boiler.  It does the trick beautifully. I can get a hot cup of boiled water any time I want it, at the push of a button. I had one in the UK and I used it multiple times a day. I knew it was something I really wanted to replace and I am happy that I did. 

I highly recommend.

 


This brilliant autumn we are having with beautiful sunny, warm and dry days, with beautiful blue skies and beautifully colored leaves.  We had a bit of a windy day yesterday so a lot of the leaves have fallen now.  Funny, I have gone through two seasons here in my house now, and am well into the third. One more to go. 

Life is a beautiful mix of the small and the wonderful, with plenty to be grateful for.  I am truly blessed.  

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*When you change the way you
look at things,
the things you look at change.
~Wayne Dyer  •。★★ 。* 。
 


In The English Kitchen today  . . . .  Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake.  A delicious 8-inch snack cake which combines two favorite flavors.  Its delicious! 

I hope each of you have a week filled with abundance. Be happy and be blessed and never forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too!  



12 comments:

  1. Oh those kitties, so cute to see. Good for you for mastering putting together your bread box. We had ordered a 10'x10' gazebo and it came in a 3.5' by 2' box. Guess what, it went back as we weren't even going to tackle putting it together!!!!!! It is pouring of rain today, hope you have some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ridiculous Linda, the things that come flat packed now. Everything just about. It was the same with the shed we had bought in the UK. Its okay if you are really handy, and young and strong! Its not raining yet here, but it looks as if we are in for some! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I think it's a good thing that you got two kittens to keep each other company and being they are so unique, makes them extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having to means they always have someone to play with and it doesn't always have to be me Pam!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your day.So glad your kitties are such great fun companions for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! You enjoy your day also! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh, my, how your kitties have grown. They are beautiful. You have a lovely way of expressing your gratitude, Marie. We, your readers and friends, are grateful to you, too. I sure would miss your daily blog. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are beautiful Elaine, but I am really biased! I am loving and enjoying them so very much! Thank you for your sweet words. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky, there are a lot of them here on this page:https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=hot+water+boiler&ref=nb_sb_noss

    I have the first one. It is excellent. You can have as much boiling water as you want or need. I love mine. I got used to having one in the UK and would never be without one now. Very convenient.

    There is also a nice selection of cup warmers on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/coffee-cup-warmer/s?k=coffee+cup+warmer

    You might find that suits your needs better?

    Anyways there is some food for thought here. I am really spoiled I guess. I just like having boiling water on tap! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness...that cake (really fudge looks like to me!!) I gotta make us some...what is not to like?? Thanks for sharing such...and of course, the photos of the cute kitties. Glad they are such pals to you...sounds like they have a lot of character!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee, the kittens have grown so quickly, they are gorgeous! Have a happy day.
    xo, V

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked at the recipe for the Chocolate Peanut Butter cake. It looks so yummy.
    I truly am so happy that you have those two precious cats to love and entertain you. I had a bird feeder the last two years and it has been so fun to have the birds come.
    I love that you can be with your sister Cindy. I really missed not having one. Now my family have all passed. I do miss my parents and brothers. My posterity helps the ache in my heart for them.
    You did a good job putting your bread box together. My daughter made one in a woodshop class in high school and I treasure it.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!