Monday 4 October 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   



I am very grateful for my family. For a dad who loves me enough to want to spend time with me  and who calls me several times a day just to let me know he is still breathing. (I call him too!).  A sister who has always been there for me, and who I enjoy spending time with.  I get her and she gets me.  We have been best friends for 63 years now, although when we were teens that might have been debatable.  Likewise my brother. He's always been there for me as well, but in a man way. (Women and men are not quite the same in now they support each other.) For my two oldest sons, and their families, and my oldest daughter . . .  I am just grateful for the gift of family.

I thank God every day for their continued safety and  health.

 


I am so grateful that Doug got through his operation safely and continues to heal.  I hope and pray he has a long and happy life. I am so very grateful for all the prayers and support on his behalf. It meant the world to me. Thank you so very much. 

I remember just after he was born.  They lay him on my chest and he was looking up at me and I remember thinking, this is an old soul.   I don't have that memory of all my children. Just of him.  Its special.


I really enjoyed the General Conference of my church that I watched over this past weekend.  Twice a year my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, holds a General Conference.  Two days where we are counseled, uplifted and edified by the leaders of our church. We get to share in their wisdom by nature of a series of talks that they share with us.  I always get a great deal from out of what they share.  I have only managed to listen to/watch the four (2 hour sessions) so far and will watch the fifth tonight. That one was going on while I was in bed Saturday night.  The other four I watched live.   



My heart was touched and pricked many times during the last two days. I will enjoy going back over the talks when they are available to read, and studying them, pondering the words.  Picking out gems that I can apply to my life and giving their words an opportunity to strengthen and edify my faith.  The underlying theme of the whole weekend was Christ and His love for us. I saw Him everywhere.  At the end I felt as if I had spent a whole weekend with Him.  

This last year has been one of great upheaval for me in many, many ways.  I can honestly say it has been probably one of the most difficult years of my life, but the Lord has been with me.  I have felt and seen Him in a multitude of ways and I am so grateful for that.   With Jesus, where you are going is always, always going to  be better than where you have been.  I am also grateful for that.   And because of Him I have been able to find joy in the journey and will continue to do so until the day I die and then I will get to be with Him.  How much better than that can it be! 


I am enjoying these two little munchkins very much.  I think this was meant to be. They make me laugh. They keep me company.  They keep me entertained. They help me to feel not so alone in this house. Life is never boring. They have two very unique personalities. I never thought I would be a cat person again. Life has a way of surprising you in the most wonderful way.


October is one of my favorite months of the year.  First we have the colours of the changing leaves. Most days are bright and sunny and even warm, without being humid and suffocating.  You get the cooler nights which make sleeping comfortable.  In Canada we get to celebrate Thanksgiving with turkey and all the trimmings.  Halloween comes later and I enjoy that too. Pumpkins, apples, squash.  It is the start of the comfort season for me.  I just love it.  I agree with Anne!





Each of you. You have stuck with me over these past months.  Supporting and praying and doing all that you can. Lifting me when I was low, crying with me, laughing with me, just being there for me. I probably don't thank you enough.  I do thank you for putting up with me and sticking with me through my ups and my downs and everything in between. It has and is so very much appreciated. I try had to answer all the comments, but sometimes I fall short. I am sorry for that.  I do read each and every one. They warm my heart. 💖
 

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today as it is getting late  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛.°Not all storms
come to disturb your life.
Some storms come
to clear your path.
~Unknown•。★★ 。*  



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Spice Cake with a Mocha Frosting. There is a lush ribbon of cheesecake running through the centre of this delicious snack cake.  Prepare yourself to fall in love.

I hope the week ahead of you is filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things, too many for you to hold.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


5 comments:

  1. That’s what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a year it's been for you, Marie, full of ups and downs. You are one brave girl. Enjoy your family, your home, your kitties. Have a good week.
    Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful that eve though it was a hard year, you've had more happiness than sorrow in your life. Things happen as they are supposed to. Nothing is a coincidence. Hope the week ahead is a wonderful one for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends, family, October, spice cake, Faith, blogs and kittens ….it really is a wonderful world. 🌎 Happy Monday, V

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!