Saturday 9 October 2021

All Things Nice . . .


 
(source

I love familiar things . . .  an old clock's face,
A kitchen shelf with a bright cretonne frill,
An old chair with a patchwork cushion on,
Petunias on a painted window sill.

An old grey barn whose weather beaten ends
Have known the lashing tides of wind and rain;
A cup and saucer from an ancient set,
Of sturdy chinaware severely plain. 

Buck brush and willow scrub . . .  a rutted trail,
Worn deep and smooth by quiet homing hoofs;
A narrow gabled window in a house,
Soft mossy ridges on old shingled roofs.

I love a kindly face with patient eyes,
Where wrinkles etch a story brave and fine,
Whose understanding heart and quiet strength,
Is written like a scroll in every line.

A home-made quilt . . .  a small wood-burning stove,
A little rocker that your mother had,
A little cape hung up behind the door,
An overcoat that once belonged to Dad.

Old shabby bits I know yet in each thing
Something of them seems to forever cling.
~Edna Jacques, Familiar Things 


 
These are the beautiful colors across the way.  I don't remember that house being there when I was a child, but maybe it is. My brother says it was moved there from the main street, but I am not sure about that. In any case, if it was, it wasn't green.

But its the colors of the leaves that sing the song of my autumn loving heart.  So beautiful! 



Not sure if you can see it or not, but there is a heavy frost out there this morning.  Everything is gilded by it. The rooftops and the grass. It went down to -2 Celsius last night.  That is 35.6 in Fahrenheit. So a cool, cool night and early start.  And so it begins  . . . 



I have put the electric fire on to warm things up a bit in here.  The first time this season. (The first time ever!)    I haven't been able to figure out how to change my heat pump from the air condition phase back to the heat phase. Perhaps my sister can help me sort that out.  I am not so good figuring things like that out for some reason. They elude me.

As you can see Nutmeg is very interested in the flickering flames. Its a good thing they are not real. 

 

Of course he charmed the pants off Tim yesterday.  They are going to his parents for Thanksgiving, so I had them over yesterday for a small sized Turkey dinner. I bought a butterball turkey half breast, which was just the right size for us.  I have enough left for a sandwich today which is perfect, as I am working hard on my church lesson for tomorrow.  My sister is having us for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.  I was going to cook the turkey, but having to teach in RS means I won't be home to cook it until after 12:30 and that is too late to put it in. My friend Jacquie said that I could put it in before I left for church but  I am not comfortable with that idea. 


I am not sure who was charming who here.  In any case we had a lovely time and they went home armed with leftovers and rolls and pie and some brownies I had baked, etc. The important thing is we had fun while we were together.

We watched the ultimate Thanksgiving movie, well for them anyways. And it was funny. Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Cheesy but good for a laugh anyways. 

 

They like to be close to me. Not sure how I feel about that. It makes things a bit difficult. I have lost the table battle. They don't go on it when I am not at it, but when I am working they want to be next to me. What can I say  . . . it is what it is and so long as they don't go on the table when people are actually sitting there eating, that's what counts. I have plenty of cloths to disinfect the table first. 

 

I need never be alone again  . . .  speaking of ginger's, my wee grandson who is a ginger has to be brought to the IWK (Isaac Walter Killam Hospital) at the end of November for testing. He is too small for his age, despite having a healthy appetite, etc. They are going to do some tests on him.  My son facetimed me yesterday (Doug) to tell me that, depending on Covid, the plan is to come and stay with me for a few days if possible before the testing. That would be nice and is certainly something to look forward to, not the testing part.  I am praying that Josh is okay  and there is nothing untoward going on.  Just a small boy. Kayla's dad is not a big person. He is very tiny boned and slight. Her mother isn't very big either. It could be that he is just small like them.

The sun is out and the rooftops across the way are glittering like they are covered with sparkles in the light.  Impossible to photograph, but you can imagine.  

Just had my morning phone call from my father. He is getting ready to go out for his Saturday morning breakfast. I said to him why didn't he shake things up a bit and have pancakes or waffles instead of bacon and eggs, he said nope. He likes his bacon and eggs. He said he wishes I was meeting him there, but I am having to do my lesson for tomorrow. I said to him maybe next weekend.

I love that I have choices like that now.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone. We have much to be thankful for! 💓 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.May every sunrise hold more promise,
and every sunset hold more peace.•。★★ 。* 。
 



In The English Kitchen today, I small batched a recipe for Pumpkin Streusel Muffin Tops.  Yummy yummy! 

Have a great weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.  I won't be on tomorrow morning as I will be putting the finishing touches on my lesson for church.  Be happy, be safe and don't forget . . .

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too!  






11 comments:

  1. No frost here yet..Oh your daughter and son-in-law must have loved their evening.
    Some people are just small?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did, and I loved having them. We have small people on both sides of the family, so hopefully it just he is going to be a small person. xoxo

      Delete
  2. You had a lovely Thanksgiving with Eileen and Tim. Those kitties are getting bigger every day. Josh may be late in having a growth spurt. Best to get things checked out, though. Good luck with your lesson. Happy Thsnksgiving to you and your family. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are growing for sure. They soon won't be kittens any longer size wise, but I think the kitten-like behavior will last for a time Elaine. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Larry! xoxo

      Delete
  3. No frost here in Ontario ... yet! Lovely get together with daughter and husband. They say the best things come in small packages. Hoping the tests go well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do as well Linda! Happy Thanksgiving! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I'm so glad you are able to get together with family. I think it's what the holidays are all about. Enjoy your weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your darlings. Hoping all is well for Josh, he’s got such personality! xo, V

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed reading your posts so much! I have had many things that have stopped my blogging for almost 3 months. I'm sad it has been so long. I'm sure I have missed a ton.
    I enjoyed reading this catch up one. Fall is such a lovely time of year. I enjoyed reading the poem.
    I really like reading about your moments with family. Your Thanksgiving times right now are awesome. It fun to hear about your Sister and your daughter's minutes with you.
    I do love your two kittens. They have grown up fast. I like there names too; they fit well.
    I love that Doug will bring Josh for a visit. I have a grandson that is small for his age and I think it is because of genetics too.
    I love that you are preparing a lesson for church. That is the best ever. I imagine you give a beautiful lesson.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!