Monday 27 July 2020

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 
 
"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard   

 
A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   
 

We may have never met in person, but I have been talking to you in this way for a very long time now.  Suffice it to say this is a very important and integral part of my day.  To be able to sit here and write about the things in my heart and on my mind year after year, day after day and to feel comfortable doing so and sharing in this way. It really means a lot to me. I feel connected to many of you in a very special way. To this girl who lives thousands of miles away from family and in a country where its really difficult to make close friends, this means a lot. We may not have physically met, but our hearts have touched.




I have a wonderful next door neighbour. Although she faces many challenges herself, both as a single mother and physically, she has been so kind to us over these past few months. I know that if I truly needed help I could message her and she would be here like a shot.  She always asks if we need anything before she does her grocery shop.  And she always always gets us milk and bread. She is often doing things for others. She goes every month without fail and cleans up the graves of her departed loved ones. She is a treasure.  I hope that one day I can do something really special for her, rather than just send over baked goodies.


I never thought about this before, but its utterly true. Being silent and listening when another speaks is a gift to both the speaker and the listener.  Its also a sign of humility. I've been watching the NYC housewives series. (I know . . . ) and most of their arguments start because everyone is so busy putting their own agendas forward nobody truly listens to the other. 



Knowing this to be true.  Whenever I have had big decisions to make I have discovered that when I just be quiet and listen for His voice, it comes with quiet certainty.  He is not in the tumult of thoughts and impressions that vie with each other for attention in my heart and mind, but in the quiet certainty that comes when I allow myself to settle and just hear Him.  We have been challenged over these past months to figure out how it is that we hear Him.  I have come to discover that I hear Him best when I silence all the outside voices. 

  

Being able to live the truth that is this. 



I have been struggling for years to find a good pillow that will give my head and neck the best support.  I can't tell you how many I tried.  About a month or so ago, I got myself a "Wool" pillow.  That's a pillow filled with organic, washable, traceable wool.  You can zip it open and add wool or take wool away as you need to. I also bought a bag of extra wool just in case.  This is the perfect pillow. Since I started using it my neck has felt better. I haven't woken up in the middle of the night all drenched with a sweaty head either. (I know tmi) I highly recommend.   And no, it doesn't smell like sheep.  Plus its ethical. Sheep need to be sheared and these pillows use some of that.  Nothing has died to give me my pillow. Even the cover is 100% natural, undyed cotton.  I am saving up now for a duvet. 




I have enough. I have always had enough.  This is one of my life's greatest blessings.  Somehow, as if by magic at times, I have always had enough to fulfil all my needs. Recognising this is a special blessing in and of itself. 

These first 7 months of 2020 have been difficult to be sure.  But not just for me, for everyone. We are all in the same boat pretty much. Our lives have been put on hold.  There has been an abundance of civil unrest. Many have lost loved ones prematurely.  Its just not been a very nice year . . . there have been many struggles.  But through it all I have been able to keep my faith and my hope that better times are ahead. Through it all I have been able to find a level of peace and assurance that has helped to carry me. Anything else is the icing on the cake.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
When someone is rude,
keep a smile on your face.
When you stay 
on the high road
and keep your joy, you
take away their power.
~Joel Osteen •。★★ 。* 。 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Toasted Corn, Wheat and Spelt Flakes. An upgrade to your everyday breakfast cereal that is simple and delicious!

I hope that you have a wonderful day filled with joy and lots of things which bring meaning and hope into your life. Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!     Stay safe!  
 










 


9 comments:

  1. That neighbour sounds like a precious gem♥I am certain you are the same towards her.Happiness is a great pillow..one of my yearnings,,the best pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is for sure Monique. She keeps making noises about moving but I really hope she doesn't. I don't know what I would do without her now! A good pillow is a blessing Monique! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi, Marie! Catching up with you a bit here, at long last! Just sent you an over-due email too. ;) I'm not sure I can leave a comment on all your posts I'm catching up on, but know I'm still here, still checking in when I can! :) Life keeps grabbing hold of me, and a lot of the time, I have no idea where time goes either... haha! Sooo many good words of widsom that pieces for pause for thought... *sigh*... It is nice to slow down and consider some of things your share here today--thank you for that! It has, indeed, been a tough year in so many ways. We are so blessed--we are well, our nears & dears are well & safe... but still, it's been a had year, and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon. Connecting to LOVE and PEACE daily--good "medicine"!! Your breakfast granola cereal looks sooo good!! And wow... love the sound of those wool-filled pillows! That's something like what I'd like us to go over to when our totally 100% synthetic ones "die"... haha! LOVE YOU BOTH LOADS!! ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, love you loads also. Now is a good time to get one of those pillows if you can (wool room) you can get 20% off your first order. They are worth every penny! Have gotten your e-mail and will answer it in due course! Like you I don't know where the time goes, but expect I waste a lot of it "scrolling!" Love you loads and loads. xoxo

      Delete
  3. It's always nice to keep in touch with you and see what you come up with each day. You always make my day brighter with something you have to share. Wishing you a great new week. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam! I always enjoy your blog as well. I just wish I could figure out why my iPad won't let me comment? xoxo

      Delete
  4. I think it's wonderful how we all connect with each other through various medias. It's like we're all pen pals. I think I'll need to look into getting a "wool" pillow. It would be nice and cozy for the fall and winter. Well, July is almost over. Despite all its challenges, 2020 is going very quickly. Hope you have a good week and your telephone consultation goes well tomorrowre re your recent appointment. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea that we are all like Penpals Elaine! Made me smile. Thanks for all your happy thoughts. Although I feel well in and of myself, I am always nervous until I get confirmation from the officials! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed your thoughts on this one. I too love the little conversations with others that I have made friends with through blogging. You are one of my favorites.
    I'm so happy you have an next door neighbor that is so caring. What a tender mercy from the Lord.
    I really loved the thought son Listen and Silent. It's all so true. I always hope that I am being a good listener. I learned how to be one when I was a Hospice nurse. It was such a soul stretching time for me.
    I know that I too hear the spirit when I am quiet. I need to work on having more of those moments.
    I'm happy you found a good pillow. I had a hard time finding one too. This one sound like a good one.
    I too feel so blessed to not have to have a lot. Although, in truth I do have a lot. However, I know if I didn't have much, I would be OK. It would always be enough. I told my husband many years ago, I would live in a tent with him and I would.
    I do look forward to better times a head. I know that we will all be OK; my faith will get me through.
    sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!