Wednesday 22 July 2020

The Dinner Party . . .



Everything's in place. You have set out your finest china and the silver's all been polished to a beautiful sheen.  Nice smells are coming from the kitchen. Candles are lit and and the Harry Connick singers are softly playing in the background.

You've invited five people for dinner . . . famous or not . . . dead or alive  . . . people who will inspire scintilating conversation and dazzle the room with their wit and charm. Who will be your five dinner guests and why?

Here are my choices:


 

Susan Branch. No surprise here. First of all we are kindred spirits and have a great deal in common. We like  a lot of the same things. Our lives have followed similar paths, and yet at the same time are completely divergent.  She's witty and fun and whimsical. We enjoy the same music and old films. We both enjoy the home arts, and painting, and reading, and the Beatles. 



Sir Paul McCartney.  Why not give Susan a thrill at the same time as myself? First of all he is a music Icon and secondly I really enjoyed his carpool karoke with James Cordon. I think he has led a really interesting life.  He's passionate about  the planet. He's been places and done things I could only ever dream of going and doing. He's rubbed elbows with some of the  most interesting people in the world. His music has embroidered many of  the happiest and saddest moments of my life.  He's a musical genius, but I also think he appears to be very down to earth and kind. 



Russell Brand. He might look like he's just been dragged through a hedge backwards, but he is one very intelligent, well spoken, articulate man who is passionate about issues and who talks a great deal of sense much of the time.  He's an award winning comedien, actor, author, radio host and a very passionate activist for mental health and drug rehabilitation.  I just think he is a really interesting man.  

  

Barbara Waters.  Articulate. Well spoken. This is a woman who has travelled and met some of the most diverse people from all kinds of backgrounds in the world.  She has been a huge role model to many young women and managed to crack the "male dominated" journalism industry becoming the first female co-anchor on the nightly news as well as the Today show. She's an expert in getting people to talk about themselves and has mastered the art of diplomacy.  I just think this is one very fascinating woman. 


Martha Stewart.  She's been a model.  She is an expert in many of the home arts.  A very saavy business woman.  She's been to prison and managed to do so with class and decorum and did not let it destroy her. She has a reputation for being very difficult to work with, but I wonder about that. If a man is successful and demanding, he's seen as being a great man, but if a woman appears to be the same and shown in the same light she is called "difficult." She is not incapable of enjoying and sharing some humour.  I loved watching her with Snoop Dogg. She can really be quite funny.  Intelligent, articulate and hugely successful, I think she would be a great addition to my dinner party. Plus she could help to make sure I really got things right. 

The men are kind of out-numbered here, so humour me and just let me add one more guest to even things out a bit. 


Jeffrey R Holland.  He's my favourite apostle.  He's been the President of BYU.  He's articulate and educated and humble . . .  as well as being a great teacher.  His talks that he gives are phenomenal.  He's interesting and has a wonderful way of talking about spiritual things in a way that everyone can relate to and understand. He's worked as a newspaper carrier, a grocery bagger and a service station attendant. He has a Masters in Religious Education, with a second Masters and a PHD in American Studies.  I think he would be a brilliant addition to our table.  

So there you have it!  My dinner party guests!  I think we are in for an evening of fun and some very scintillating conversation, don't you?  Deciding on a dinner menu might put me in a bit of a pickle however as there are a couple of Vegans in the mix.  Perhaps I best keep it simple. I wonder how a Taco Bar would go down?  Susan, I need help!!!

Who would you invite to your dinner party?


A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
A wise man was asked,
"What is anger?"
He gave a beautiful answer.
"It is a punishment we give to ourselves
for somebody else's mistake.•。★★ 。* 。 



Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Rustic Tomato Pie.  This was incredibly delicious if I don't say so myself.  And it was quick and easy to make with no fuss no muss! 

I bought my own domain for my food blog yesterday. Its costing me about £2 a month, so not too bad. We will see how that goes. Its something I should have done a long time ago really. I've always been late to the table. Now people might take me more seriously.  In any case, have a great Wednesday!  Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!  



9 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, two of your guests would also appear on my guest list - Susan Branch and Martha Stewart. I was lucky enough to have heard Martha speak many years ago now in Toronto. My 3rd guest would be Oprah Winfrey. What these three classy women all have in common is that they want you to be the very best you you can be. They know that their own candle does not go out when they are helping to light another's candle. Both glow bright. I would love to have author Rosamunde Pilcher as my fourth guest. Just love all her books. And last but not least, a tie for fifth spot would be Tasha Tudor and Beatrice Potter. Either would make a delightful dinner guest. My male guest list will have to wait for another day. Time for breakfast. Have a lovely Wednesday, my friend. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I wanted to put Oprah on my list, but didn't know who to bump. I would love Oprah as well. She is a fascinating person and so articulate! How wonderful you got to hear Martha speak! I loved what you said about the three, and their ability to light other people's candles. Rosamunde Pilcher would be interesting and I love your ideas of having Beatrix and Tasha Tudor! My what a wonderful Dinner Party you are having! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lol just my mom..if I could and my family.
    I met Susan..
    I admired Martha..
    Loved Paul as a teen..

    What would you serve them:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is an entirely different question Monique! I am sure I would lose several night's sleep trying to decide. There are some vegans in the mix! How to please them all! Not sure if I could! But what fun trying! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Dear Marie, I'd love to invite you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen, that is so sweet of you! thanks! xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a party you are having. Top notch all the way Dinner parties here are much simpler . Friends and family that are close by. Might as well dream big while you are dreaming I say and congrats on your new food blog. I've always known you are a serious cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I had family that lived close by Pam! What a treat that would be! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, dearest friend, this is the best ever. I can't imagine what the table discussion would be like with this group. I imagine very entertaining for sure. I would assume lots of laughter and just plan fun talk.
    I will have to ponder for a while on who I would invite for dinner guests.
    Blessings and hugs for a smile on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!