Monday 10 April 2017

Small and wonderful things . . .



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


Unexpected windfalls.  Having my recipe picked for that little extra bit of dosh the other day was a real boost.  We have a tiny account that we use for emergencies, which had been depleted when Mitzie got sick before Christmas. Now we can top it up again.  You should always have a tiny bit tucked away for emergencies. You never know when you are going to need it.  I also need to buy myself a new jacket so I might be able to use a bit of it for that.


The ability to laugh at myself.   I have wanted to do a lamb cake ever since I saw Susan Branch's lamb cake a bazillion years ago.  Could never afford to buy the proper tin to do it however.  This year I started looking at one of my scottie dog shortbread tins. (I have a bazillion of them saved to do sewing kits.)


I thought to myself, this one flipped over might look a bit like a Scottie Dog and so I made up my lemon cake batter (coz we I like lemon) and I baked the cake.  It did kind of look like a lamb.  I sliced it in half through the middle and filled it with some apricot jam and then flipped it onto a plate, trimmed off an ear I thought was superfluous to purpose, slathered it all in vanilla butter cream, sprinkled flaked coconut all over it and then stuck on a few other decorations and then I laughed and laughed and laughed. Funniest looking lamb I have ever see.  *Woof*


Susan does it so much better.




Palm Sunday and our April Fast and Testimony Meeting falling on the same day. It could not have been more appropriate. Normally the first Sunday of every month is Fast and Testimony, but because of our April General Conference it was a week later this month.   What a spirit filled Sacrament meeting it was.  During a F&T meeting we are invited to come up to the front, as the spirit directs us, and bear our testimonies to the congregation. This is the time for us to share our love of the Gospel with each other, to testify of special blessings we have received, and most importantly, to testify of the Saviour, and other things.  The meeting was crammed with the spirit yesterday.  So many people with so much to share.   I love Fast and Testimony meeting anyways, but yesterday's was extra special, and the fact that it took place on the day we celebrate the Saviour's triumphant ride into Jerusalem made it even more so.  And now begins the most holy of the holiest weeks.


Sunday phone calls with my mum.  I love this special time I get to spend with my mother each week.  It means the world to me.  The time passes far too quickly.  I would call her every day if I could, but I think she would see that as a huge inconvenience.  Her days have a special routine to them, and me interrupting that routine would be a bit too much.   I have a box filled with all of the letters she wrote to me through the years and I take one out every now and again and I read it.  Reading these fills my heart with joy.  I am so grateful for a mother who took the time to write me letters, and for the opportunity which I have to talk to her each Sunday.


Our Health Care System.  I know we like to complain about it, but at the end of the day I am so grateful for it.  Todd has developed a rash as a side effect from the radio therapy and cystitis, but he was able to get in at the last minute to see a Doctor on Friday afternoon and get some cream and tablets to help with both.  He had been going to wait until Monday (today) to try to get in to see a Doctor, but I told him to try to get in on Friday and thankfully there had been a cancellation so he was able to get an appointment that afternoon.   I did not want to see him suffering all weekend if he didn't have to.  The cream is helping the rash, but I think he is still suffering with the cystitis. Drinking lots of water hopefully will help to flush that out.  He did not sleep all Saturday night and spent all of yesterday from the time we got home from church until supper time in bed.  I finally had to go up and check to see if he was still alive, I was getting worried.

I hate that I worry about things
like that 
...

 

My crochet squares are growing in number. If I do one or two a day, it won't take long until I have enough for a lap blanket. I love the colours. I was not sure at first, but they are growing on me and I am really liking the way they are coming together.  It will be bright, that is for sure!


I am living next door to the Tikki Tikki Lounge.   My next door neighbor has been creating this little oasis of comfort over the past week.  I think she has done a super job with it.  With a gazebo, and lots of Chinese lanterns, etc.


She is so imaginative.  I love it.  I hope she gets lots and lots of sunny weather to enjoy with it over the coming months!  Her house is really cute inside also.  I have only been in a few times but she definitely has a talent for decorating!

I think that talent escaped me.  If you want
the cluttered look, I'm
your gal!


And with that I will leave you with a special thought for today  . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛°. . Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
The most certain way to succeed is
to try just one more time.
~Thomas Edison  •。★★ 。* 。 

Spiritual Enlightenment 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Cheesy Pesto Bread.

Have a great day.  I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things.  Along the way don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!

PS - Monique, Thirteen.  Episode one and we are hooked!  Thanks!



8 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie,

    Your cake has created a round of giggles. I am so sorry but it broke some of the awful tension in this house. One of my aunts had the maiden name of Lamb. For years we have hunted for special gifts for her. It all started when mum gave her a tin of lamb brains when she first shared her birthday with mum's family. The gags finally finished a few years ago when I gave her a lamb cake tin for Easter a few years ago. I don't think the tin has ever been used.

    I am so happy that your church meeting was so special and joy filled yesterday. At present I am working on an entrelac baby blanket for Pip and Connor. I am beginning to wish I had not bought that expensive yarn and started such thi project. It is driving me nuts. I bought some yarn in Hong Kong because it was half the price of here. I pulled it out to make tiny clothes and I bought 8 ply instead of 4. Big error as I have plenty of patterns for tiny clothes!

    Meanwhile Mum wants to know. Do you have Chester Cake in Chester? Well please tell me. I don't like the Chester cake we have had here. I seem to remember pastry and dense cake.

    God bless your day and I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did smile...err laugh...at the lamb cake, if I ever tried to make one mine would have looked just like yours I'm sure !!..good enough to eat !who cares what it might look like.....I do love the way you publically thank God for all the good things he does not just for you but for us all. I hope that Todds rash and infection clears very quickly and that he can get over his tiredness before our visitors arrive..........you might like to know this morning I sent an e mail with my address to a couple of folks on the..... write a letter page.....hopefully I should hear from them..Suzan and Mary....hope you are still enjoying this lovely sunshine filled day? It's a bit cooler than last few days that have been wonderful but at least it's still sunny. bye for now. God Bless xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie. I wanted to be put on your Springtime Mail Exchange list but it may be too late as I didn't receive a list of participants and haven't as yet mailed out anything to anyone. AND Easter is next weekend! Please let me know if you have sent out the list yet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Individuality..can be so charming..she is making her home hers:)
    I bet she has lots ofneat things:)

    Yay on the cash prize..hope your book makes the cash POUR:) You've worked long and hard enough..for it to cascade..
    well you know what? Your lamb has a personality of it's own..:)Cute too!

    I picked up a mold like Susan's a few yrs back..very reasonable..some charge and arm and a leg..I think mine was $10.00?

    It was fun to do and of course under Susan's tutelage on her blog..it went well..
    Scottie tins can't be found here..show us your collection:)? Would love to see..the squares are looking so cute..thank God Mr T saw someone..:)

    My daughter's hooked on 13 also..

    I will start episode 3 soon..I try and Hula Hoop ..so w/ the garden..I didn't hula lol..

    I cried at the first epi..it's getting..well..that's all I will say:)

    Watched CTM last night..I fear we missed one..:( Love love love the show..I hope one day he gets his sight back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually we had a lovely day Sybil. The sun shone and it wasn't too fierce. I saw one lady who was complaining about being cold. My car said it was 33 degrees. It wasn't that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only rabbit cake I ever made was much simpler. Only using a round pan and making the face with Jelly bean eyes nose and mouth, and licorice for the whiskers and cut out ears of paper. I'll give you and E for effort any way! Glad the doctors could fit Todd in and hope he is better. I am looking forward to decorating my enclosed patio here like your neighbor did, but right now it's full of storage bins, that I haven't found room for where they should be. Hope you have a lovely week ahead. Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are receiving that little windfall of money. I think that is such a blessings after all you have been through lately. A tender mercy from the Lord, I would say. I love your cake too; I'm sure the cake tasted good; so it doesn't have to look good too.
    Just keep loving those phone calls. I miss my Mom so much and would love to hear her voice. I like to read letters she wrote me too; although they make me cry when I just see her handwriting.
    I love your Grannie Squares; it will be such a lovely blanket.
    I am so happy that Todd was able to get the medical care he needed. With the Cystitis; he should drink cranberry juice and or take the cramberry pills; they help a lot. Of course, drinking a lot of water is the best. Hope he feels better soon.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It created a lot of giggles in our house too Suzan, mostly from me! I am sure that Pip and Connor will appreciate all of your efforts! I have heard of Chester Cake, but have never had it. I will have to look it up and possibly try making one! Love and hugs. xoxo

    Subil, I am happy I was able to make you smile! Todd's rash is alright so long as he applies the cream. I am thinking we will have a long wait on the other! I hope he gets over the tiredness before we get our visitors also, or it will not be as nice a visit as we are hoping for! xoxo

    Hi Sandy, I did a list on here of the participants over a week ago. I would be happy to exchange with you, but you won't get anything before Easter. E-mail me on mariealicejoan@ aol dot com and send me your address! xoxo

    Yes, I love individuality also MOnique. I just wish I had more knowledge and talent in that area! I will have to look for a mold like that again and see if I can get one cheaper. I will have to take some photos of my Scottie Tins. We have only watched the first episode of 13, we like to make things stretch out a bit, so will watch another one next week. We get more bang for our buck that way. I cried too. CTM, it never gets old. I buy each series as it finishes on DVD so that we can watch them whenever we want. xoxo

    I have seen those cakes Pam! They are really cute. It is so hard to move and it takes months before you get it all sorted. Praying that each day that passes brings you closer to your new place feeling like home sweet home. Happy Tuesday now! xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! We were surely blessed. The windows of Heaven. The cake tasted fine. I will be posting the recipe for that part soon. I ordered some powders for Todd to drink that should be here today. Something called Cystopurin. I keep telling him to drink more water, but he is having a hard time getting it down. Love, hugs and blessings to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!