Thursday 13 April 2017

MY favourite things . . .

 

These are a few of my favourite things. Maybe we have something in common  . . .



Lindt Gold Bunnies.  I don't care if they are hollow.  They are good.  I hope the Easter Bunny brings me one this year!  We always got a bunny when I was growing up. A solid bunny. Cheap chocolate. We did not care. We were very pleased with it. Now I am an old woman, I can hold out for the best and the best is a Lindt Gold Bunny.


Hot Cross Buns.  They are available pretty much all year round nowadays, but I only ever buy them at Easter.  We love them, but we are traditionalists and Hot Cross Buns belong with  Easter.  You can make your own of course, but I have found for the most part, homemade ones are a bit disappointing.



I made these one year however and they were really good.  Nigel Slaters Hot Cross Buns with Spiced Fruit Butter. I think I will do them again this year. What are your traditions surrounding Hot Cross Buns?  Some people only eat them on Good Friday.


Spiral Cut Honey Glazed Ham.  Love, LOVE it.  Sadly we don't get Spiral Hams over here.  We don't get any ham with a bone in it at all, and most of the already cooked ham we get is already sliced, or those little mechanically deboned, pressed back together hams.  What I wouldn't give for a good old fashioned, bone in, home smoked ham. Sigh  . . . they're the best.  Love Ham at Easter.


Coloured Easter Eggs.  We did not have fancy ones when I was a child. My mother would stay up late colouring them with crayons after we went to bed.  My favourites were the ones she would do with all the colours in stripes up and down. We each got three.  On Easter morning my mother would prick holes in the ends with darning needles (they were always raw) and blow out the egg into a bowl.  We could try to blow them out also, but she was more patient.  Once they were all blown out she would make us scrambled eggs for breakfast.  She also strung our eggs on a piece of yarn for us to wear around our necks.  We would try to go all day without them breaking.  Such happy memories. ☺


Blowing Bubbles. I love blowing bubbles.  Sometimes if we were lucky we would get thing of Bubbles for Easter and maybe a bag of marbles or a skipping rope. (Such Spring things!)  Blowing bubbles is fun. You can make your own of course. I have never been able to make them that successfully. Mitzie loves to chase bubbles and catch them. Jess always did too.  Miss Jess . . . she was a good dog. Mitzie is a good dog too.  I don't think I would ever want to be without a dog.


Because I love, LOVE dogs!  Don't get me wrong, cats are okay too, but I love Dogs more.  Dogs have Masters, cats have slaves.  A Dog is so loyal and they really love to be with humans. Cats are much more independant. I am a dog lover, and so is Todd.  In that way we are evenly matched. We might not be so fond of the same breeds however.  He is partial to Alsatians, but I am a bit afraid of any large dog, or any aggressive dog.  I like Collies and Spaniels.  Oh those little French Bulldogs are also cute.  But I would be happy with any dog, really . . .  except maybe a Doberman or a Rotweiler, or a Pitbull . . . not fond of aggressive dogs at all.


Line hung linens. There is nothing like them.  The smell. The feel.  They make the bed so much sweeter.  Love them.  


Rufus Sewell . . .  just because.  Sigh . . . he gets better looking with every year that passes.


The reason we have Easter. It means everything to me.  I am so grateful for the Saviour's sacrifice and gift to us. I know some of you don't believe, and that's okay.  Its your choice.  But for us who do, this is a very sacred and Holy time of year. We feel blessed. We are blessed. Our cups runneth over with gratitude.


He walked the walk alone
so that we don't 
have to
...




In The English Kitchen today . . .  Hot Cross Scones. Yum.  These are so good!

Have a beautiful Thursday.  I am out doing a bit of Easter shopping today.  I have a woman coming to help clean on Saturday so I won't be able to do it then.  She is a lady from church.  It helps her and it helps me.  Win/win.  I have a hard time getting on my hands and knees because of the arthritis and so she will do that for me.  I want the house spic and span for Lura's arrival in a little over a week's time now.  Please pray for Todd.  He is in so much discomfort. Nothing seems to be helping. I think he needs a blessing.

Don't forget  . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


and I do too!


4 comments:

  1. I wish you a happy say shopping and organising. I am so tired tonight so I will ask our Lord to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely thinking about Todd:(

    That poor man..
    there is notthing like pain and discomfort day to day:( Get well soon..

    good for you and the help..my girls have ladies who clean..I never have..and does that make me a better person LOL..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    Good for my girls and good for you.


    Love the gold bunnies I bought the tiny pack..mini mini w/ 2 minimini eggs..to paint the bunny..

    then I'll eat her..Hot cross buns..are Easter to me..always had them at home..I have made them..some were great some not..
    I am smitten w/ Border Collies these days.A Frenchs show we watch the host has one and the dog is on the show every day for the whole 2 hrs..what a dog:) Of course I prefer others for cuteness..or grace..or just for being a Golden:)

    Allergies here..so limited..and Jacques has the worst allergy..(Des not like them..lol) so we had doggies hen the girls were at home..when our last daughter moved she took Bosley...and my girls continue to have dogs..
    Cats..unfortunately I wheeze.

    so no pets..

    love laundry on the line till I started bring in earwigs..

    what a fusspot grinch I am this AM..:)
    Started watching the Son Of God w/ Lucas..not the passion..not the crucifixion..I was moved..so ingrained in me the story of Jesus and catholicism..that I know of course things by heart.
    WE don't practice anymore and my family does not either.Schools are no longer under the religious regime..but under language..so religion is taught differently also..sooo different from my catholic upbringing..

    THings just changed..but my belief in God is all there.
    Happy Easter Marie..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope and pray that ur Todd gets better soon! Esp. before ur visitors get there. I love dk choc, also the Lindt in the red foil. I crave the R.S. coconut eggs the most! When they go on sale I make sure I get a stash of them, that lasts for a little while, til someone finds them. I hide them from me bc I'll eat too many at once! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Suzan. Blessings always welcome! I hope you can get over your tiredness! xoxo

    My oven is on the floor Monique,(most are over here) and I cannot get down on my hands and knees to clean, and Todd well, he is not feeling the best and he doesn't do a great job when he does clean it so I thought the best idea was to get this girl in from church to do it, and a few other odd bits as well. Day to day bits I can handle, but the deep bits I find very hard. Arthritis is not fun and I admit to being somewhat embarassed by this inability to do some things. I have never had anyone come in to clean ever, so this is a new thing for me. Our Jess was a border collie and they are such smart doggies. I love the cute ones too, but they are so expensive to buy and a lot of them have serious health problems, etc. I think it is the believing part of God that matters most of all Monique. It is not so much in the rituals, etc. Those are mostly manmade and bring comfort to those who want to practice them. It does not make us better people because we go to church, etc. I think that a person's actions speak a lot more. Are you kind. Do you help others when you can. Do you love. Etc. Those are the things that count. There are many church going individuals who don't do anything but go to church. I think you are a very kihd person. To me that means more. Not sure if that made sense or not! I was looking for the program you spoke of, but cannot find it. Is it the mini series by Roma Downey? That is very good. We have both enjoyed that. My father is Catholic. I keep a rosary on my bedpost. It is not a Mormon thing, but it is my thing. I also have prayer beads that I like. I am a mixed bag! ☺ Love you! xoxo

    I have never had a Coconut egg Jan! I am intrigued! Your prayers are most welcome and appreciated! I hope so too! xoxo



    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!